Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #2326

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
I am new to the DSLR world, but after much research I obviously decided to go with Pentax. My father told me I was making a mistake, but a while into it now I am very happy with my decision. With quality of product vs price, you are crazy not to decide on Pentax.

08-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #2327

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
As far as I can remember, I haven't seen any pentax in my life. The first one I am going to see is the one arriving home next week, the Pentax K30.

I only see the canon straps everywhere (and sometimes I can spot a Nikon one)
The Pentax K-30 is indeed a beautiful site to see when it arrives. When mine arrived earlier this year, I swore I heard angels singing when I opened the box!

B
08-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #2328
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Studer Quote
In the rest of my holidays I've only seen CaNiSo
Wow! You saw a Sony in the wild? I have seen Olympus, but never Sony.

Steve
08-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #2329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Okay, today I was shooting my town's parade with fellow photoclub members, in the middle of the show my Nikonian friend rush to me and told me that he spotted a foreigner shooting Pentax with a really huge lens some 1000 meters away down the road. I went searching, but I guess the odds of finding someone in the middle of a swarm of thousand of people...
Its interesting that even a non-pentax person is excited when they see someone using a pentax. Him rushing over to come and tell you. Nice
I would have gone searching too like you did. Too bad you didnt find him.

In any case a couple of weeks a go when we had the art night in my city, I was taking a shot when another photographer just approached me to look at my camera. I had a blue K30 with 18-135mm. I dont know why he would do that because he had a 5D MKII.

I asked him how he liked the 5D and he said he liked it very much. But he didnt ask anything more about my camera except the initial curiousity.
I thought it was a little strange. Maybe I spooked him with a rare brand.

That same night people kept saying, that is a really nice camera. It must be expensive. How much is it?

08-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #2330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last night I went to the county fair with thoughts of combining the full moon with fair rides. I got there early. scouted out the sites that had potential and waited. I took a couple of photos in one of the spots and headed to the next one, and there was a guy and his wife with a tripod, and a Kx. Wow, 100% Pentax, what are the odds?
08-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #2331

A sighting on C|Net.com

08-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #2332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Its interesting that even a non-pentax person is excited when they see someone using a pentax. Him rushing over to come and tell you. Nice
I would have gone searching too like you did. Too bad you didnt find him.

In any case a couple of weeks a go when we had the art night in my city, I was taking a shot when another photographer just approached me to look at my camera. I had a blue K30 with 18-135mm. I dont know why he would do that because he had a 5D MKII.

I asked him how he liked the 5D and he said he liked it very much. But he didnt ask anything more about my camera except the initial curiousity.
I thought it was a little strange. Maybe I spooked him with a rare brand.

That same night people kept saying, that is a really nice camera. It must be expensive. How much is it?
I'm a member of quite possible the biggest camera club in my town (ummm.. on the second thought, my town's got only one active photo club, and we have like 20-30 active members only ). As usual, plenty CaNikons, but there are 7 Pentaxian also ! I have to say that with frequent close encounters, my canikon friend have come to respect the 'rare' quality of Pentax.

08-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2333
Veteran Member

I went on a photoshoot recently with a local photography club, and it involved about a dozen and a half folks. Not knowing what to expect, I took my two best DSLR's with me (a K-5 and an Olympus E-520), each with a different range zoom. Guess what, I was the only Pentax user AND the only Olympus user there at the same time! I loved it! I got plenty of curious looks. I am definately going to keep representing both brands on future outings.
08-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2334
Veteran Member

Pula, Croatia today. The only (AFAIK) Pentax guy, but what took the cake was...

Drumroll...
A guy taking pics with a GOPRO! (x_x)
08-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #2335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Pula, Croatia today. The only (AFAIK) Pentax guy, but what took the cake was...

Drumroll...
A guy taking pics with a GOPRO! (x_x)
What's a GOPRO?
08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #2336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
What's a GOPRO?
Action cam for bikes and such. Google it.
08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #2337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
What's a GOPRO?
GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

Frequently found on helmets and RC vehicles.
08-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #2338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

Frequently found on helmets and RC vehicles.
And scuba gear... It's not a bad little underwater camera, although you do have to provide adequate lighting for it (especially in our murky soup, I mean water, around here)

Jim
08-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #2339
Veteran Member

It seems like Ryan Connolly has become rather fond of his Pentax...

3rd episode in a row featuring the K-5...

Usually they are using a 5D Mk II or III I believe, sometimes some RED camera etc.
08-25-2013, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #2340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went to a workshop today, small crowd, only 4 participants and 2 tutors, of course I was the only one with a Pentax. The interesting part was that two of the other participants, (both young females, one a Nikon shooter, one Canon) independently said to me 'Yours must be a very expensive camera (K-5 with batt grip and Fa 100 WR) it looks so impressive'. This tells me two things. One, They are correct, the K-5 is impressive, and two, they had never heard of Pentax before. Little did they know my stuff probably cost around the same as theirs (a D-90 and not sure which Canon) but it is MUCH better quality.

One up for Pentax!