Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #2416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Any other reccomendations on super portable lenses?
As well as the K35/3.5, the FA43/1.9 is small and a good one lens option on film.

Phil.

09-29-2013, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #2417
Inactive Account

I must like the underdog too. I choose Pentax for the colors, handling and features (any old glass fit without an adapter, in-body SR, etc.). I also prefer Mazda, even though Toyota (Canon) and Honda (Nikon) have a higher market share, who cares? Handling in a Mazda 3 or 5 is sporty; Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, not so much.
Mazda: built for drivers.
Pentax: built for photographers :-D
09-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #2418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I must like the underdog too. I choose Pentax for the colors, handling and features (any old glass fit without an adapter, in-body SR, etc.). I also prefer Mazda, even though Toyota (Canon) and Honda (Nikon) have a higher market share, who cares? Handling in a Mazda 3 or 5 is sporty; Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, not so much.
I recognize a kinship. I'm seriously thinking of buying a new Mazda 3. The test drive left me very impressed.
09-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #2419
mee
Veteran Member

The latest Consumer Reports magazine had a small listing of DSLR camera ratings... Pentax K-30 and K-5 were at the bottom. A Canon T3 (the plain old T3 not T3i) was even above the Pentax cameras in the lineup.

Not sure how they tested those, but it does seem to show the common view of Pentax SLR cameras.

09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #2420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The latest Consumer Reports magazine had a small listing of DSLR camera ratings... Pentax K-30 and K-5 were at the bottom. A Canon T3 (the plain old T3 not T3i) was even above the Pentax cameras in the lineup.

Not sure how they tested those, but it does seem to show the common view of Pentax SLR cameras.
Every media has its own preferences, but this consumer reports magazine behaves like totally baised-- no wonder so called traditional media will die.
You know what? this is not something new. Check the following url:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/162311-no-love-pentax-consumer-reports.html
it is 2011, and two years after this magazine seems as biased as usual.
What I have read so far is even Pentax is far behind FF, K5 and its successors are at the top line of the APS-C DSLRs. This is based on many online media and even our CNS rivals. Canon T3? i'm not saying it's trash, but its plastic body makes it a totally entry level toy.
Lets be honest. If we took the logo off from T3 and K5 and let anyone to judge it---the answer will be obvious.
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Those were consumer reports... of people who probably took up surveys of stuff they haven't used/have rarely used. There are so many factors involved in these consumer surveys and we don't even know how they were actually done. If it is true that Pentax products are that under-performing, then other magazines/professional sites will also give consistent low markings right?
09-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #2422
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

This one made me laugh!

I drive a Mazda 3 too. I also have two Hondas and wife has a Toyota which I often drive as well. Yes, Mazda seems to be the worst in fuel mileage, but yes, it has the best handling in my fleet, and it's my favorite!

Us, Pentaxians seems to share a common criteria as to why we choose this brand

09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #2423
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Those were consumer reports... of people who probably took up surveys of stuff they haven't used/have rarely used. There are so many factors involved in these consumer surveys and we don't even know how they were actually done. If it is true that Pentax products are that under-performing, then other magazines/professional sites will also give consistent low markings right?
I never said I agreed with CR's findings.. just that the common view of Pentax to the average consumer is probably low (given such dismal ratings in common mags such as CR).

Consumer Reports actually has a testbed of professional testers (as they claim) that go through a product and rate it.. I don't think it is just a survey mailed in from people who happen to own a given product. They, however, don't seem to precisely explain HOW they come to a certain rating... which makes it all the more useless for such a technical device as an SLR style camera (outside of maybe a toaster or vacuum cleaner).

I suspect the average consumer (soccer mom as example) probably DOES pickup a CR, read Canon T3 > Pentax K5 and then shops for a Canon T3 not realizing the Pentax is superior in almost every way.
09-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2424
Veteran Member

Hm. I'm driving a Renault and a Citroen

I just don't like the way Japanese cars drive... though Mazda is the most European brand of the Japanese ones, so I can understand that decision.

@mee: I think the common view of Pentax is more like... "huh? Who's that?"

Recently I picked up a 1100D (T3), laughed and put it down again. I have a Canon SX130, and in terms of build quality they are superior, the SX might even be better. I think I'd just use my phone for photos if that'd be my camera...

I recently saw a man with 2 bodies around his neck. A true Canikon guy... he had both. Big ones, too.
10-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2425
Veteran Member

My friend wanted to play with my camera, because she said she has never seen a pentax. The terrifying thing is that I also had a four-thirds dSLR on me.
10-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #2426
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I should add a sighting report.

I've been all over northern Japan for the last couple of weeks. In that time, I have seen several Pentax in the wild. A couple of Qs and several DSLRs. I didn't get close enough to identify models except one K5 but saw several either KX, KR or K30 in blue and storm trooper white and something in yellow. Of course, Pentax is still a popular brand in Japan but this is the most I have spotted in a long time.
10-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #2427
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
My friend wanted to play with my camera, because she said she has never seen a pentax. The terrifying thing is that I also had a four-thirds dSLR on me.
Don't hand her the micro 4/3 hahaha or hide it.

On a side note, a friend just received her Pink K-50 with the DA 50mm f/1.8 yesterday. She was impressed with my K-30 when we went for a spin with it and decided to buy the K-50 because of the massive color selection. She knows that the only difference between them is the high ISO and she says she's done her research and wouldn't want to shoot at that ISO anyway. She almost bought a RED K-30 but she fell in love with a PINK one hahaha. A further addition to us.
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #2428
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I guess I should add a sighting report.

I've been all over northern Japan for the last couple of weeks. In that time, I have seen several Pentax in the wild. A couple of Qs and several DSLRs. I didn't get close enough to identify models except one K5 but saw several either KX, KR or K30 in blue and storm trooper white and something in yellow. Of course, Pentax is still a popular brand in Japan but this is the most I have spotted in a long time.
Alas a country I would like to visit.
10-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #2429
Veteran Member

Meet some Pentaxian in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

10-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #2430
Veteran Member

Funny, as I have a Mazda MPV, Tribute and had a Protege, and have a Red K-x and Red K-30.