Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #2461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
DJ'ed a wedding last night & there was a pro photographer there with softboxes, Alien Bees, the whole works. She came up to the vicinity where I was located and I thought: "That doesn't look like a Canon or Nikon". It turned out to be a Pentax K-5II. I chatted with her a bit & she was using an FA 77 / 1.8 Limited on it.

So there ya go.
Hurrah! Now I have to find out what Alien Bees are.

10-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #2462

Photos: Gallery
Alien Bees: Cameras & Photo | eBay
10-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #2463

I was out on a date a couple weeks ago and a girl mentioned she is currently taking photography class at night. I ask if there was any gear snobbery there and she said a bit, the instructor was a huge Nikon fan and said holding the Nikon body was perfect and sexy, like a woman's body. I was like "Okaaayyyeee"

Anyway I had asked her what camera she had and she said "It's a Canon, i think it's a Rebel Ti or Ti2......something like that". She then asked what I had and I said Pentax. She giggled and said "I've never even heard of that brand before".
10-13-2013, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #2464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
She then asked what I had and I said Pentax. She giggled and said "I've never even heard of that brand before".

I would eject.............................

But then again finding a girl who is into photography isn't all that easy. So I change my recommendation to educate and correct.

10-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #2465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
I was out on a date a couple weeks ago and a girl mentioned she is currently taking photography class at night. I ask if there was any gear snobbery there and she said a bit, the instructor was a huge Nikon fan and said holding the Nikon body was perfect and sexy, like a woman's body. I was like "Okaaayyyeee"

Anyway I had asked her what camera she had and she said "It's a Canon, i think it's a Rebel Ti or Ti2......something like that". She then asked what I had and I said Pentax. She giggled and said "I've never even heard of that brand before".
She had a REBEL and giggle over a Pentax, I repeat a rebel
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2466
Veteran Member

We have a small group of photographers here in Brisbane Australia. Would you believe that there are 3 of us Pentaxians? We are into landscapes. I even invited one to join me in a dawn shoot session and guess what, we even have the same lens!

Anyway, I went for a holiday to the Philippines and visited several camera shops. There were a few who offered Pentax and their main selling point was that "we have a local service center here, sir". And there was this shop though that did not offer Pentax. One of the sales people asked what camera I had so she could offer me some accessories. I said Pentax and she replied "what is that?!". The other sales person commented, "they are for pros."

Such a mix of different experiences.
10-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2467

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I would eject.............................

But then again finding a girl who is into photography isn't all that easy. So I change my recommendation to educate and correct.

I did eject exactly 1 hour in. It was the shortest date i've ever been on. The conversation was lacking big time despite the fact we had a lot of misc things in common(photography, odd ball movies). Without saying a word I just took my credit card out and slide it on the bar as a sign to end the date, then she reaches for her credit card without saying a word either and puts hers on the bar as well. I laughed and told her to put it back.

10-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2468

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
She had a REBEL and giggle over a Pentax, I repeat a rebel

Brace yourself, it was a Rebel with a kit zoom lens. When I mentioned if there was gear snobbery her in the class, I made a self deprecating joke about "Oh good thing I wasn't in the class, everyone would make fun of my camera". I was saying it in a joking manner. So I think I may have set up her mind frame that whatever I had was a crappy no name brand so that might have been why she giggled. But she did giggled in the "Oh what a crappy brand" manner when I said Pentax. I actually thought she would have at heard of it, it was at least her second photography class. But I couldn't talk much photography with her, she didn't know if her Rebel was FF or not so pretty much a novice. I'm a novice as well but know a little more advance lingo at least.
10-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #2469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Good for you kadajawi. Pentax second-hand items are really friendly to new comers because they are cheap and allow us to explore different equipment, but sadly the money does not go into Pentax's pocket and will not help the company to develop. Unless the second hand buyer eventually expands his collection by buying new items.

No offence, I'm also a second hand user and always hope to have more money to buy new stuff while helping the company to grow...
It helps the seller buy new gear... which hopefully be also by Pentax. Besides, I did end up buying new gear from Pentax... I bought a new K-5 and a new DA 50 1.8 (also a new old Tokina lens, but that doesn't help Pentax).

I recently saw the FB profile of a photographer in Malaysia, his company was all Pentax. Seeing 3 guys shooting an event, and everyone of them carrying a Pentax... And other photos of a couple of Pentaxes, with the odd Canon or Nikon added to the mix That being said, the Pentax distributor in Malaysia is doing a pretty good job... still hard to find, but people are using it.

When I was in Singapore few days ago I was at a Fuji showroom (they don't sell cameras there, just all their mid to high end gear, and a sales rep who actually knew a lot about cameras, even though he wasn't a photographer). Very impressed by the place, well worth a visit (it's in Funan DigitaLife Mall, the one with the big Fujifilm logo and a man sized lens mount behind the sales reps desk). Anyway, he mentioned that there's a professional, published photog going on a trip soon, carrying a few Fujis and a Pentax or two, who held Pentax in high esteem. And then a man entered the place, looking at the X-Pro1 and their other similar models, as he wanted something digital for his Leica lenses. He too spoke in high regard of Pentax, I think he used to have a Spotmatic.

So I think for those in the know they still know and remember the brand. If Pentax were to create more brand awareness (hey, we're still around!) and are more easily available they could improve sales quite a bit. The problem I see is that Ricoh seems keen on rebranding it Ricoh... and who has fond memories of Ricoh? "I'm shooting a Ricoh..." - "Oh, that's hardcore. Aren't copying machines a bit heavy?". I understand that they want to copy Sony's success, but Sony is a popular consumer electronics brand, with a ton of brand recognition. THEY can pull it off. Ricoh is more known for office equipment, if at all.

It's probably more the beginners who don't know Pentax, or those who only started in recent years.
10-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #2470

I was at Mission San Juan Bautista yesterday and saw a gentleman with a K-7, He was there for a wedding and was taking portraits of his wife while waiting for the wedding party and guests to arrive. The wedding photographers had Cannons....
10-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #2471
Veteran Member

I crossed into Burma other week. There's a small market right at the border. In that market I saw three Pentax cameras: a white K01, a K30, and another camera I couldn't identify (it had a top LCD, so maybe it was a K5?).
10-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #2472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sunday, with Pentax in the Park

We went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens Sunday afternoon with the grandkids. Gorgeous weather, many shots taken, nothing killed. Saw the usual herd of folk snapping away with tablets, cell phones, and god knows which Canikons, most without lens hoods! Do those things ship without hoods?? I did see one guy with the little Olympus whatever it is, interchangeable lenses, but no EVF. Saw a Leica film SLR, probably their R 4 or whatever. And one older guy (probably about my age) was sporting a Lumix and a screwmount (I think, based on size since it was in a pristine everready case) Leica. Other than that, my K 5 seemed to be the only Pentax in the park. Hmmm. Pentax in the Park. Has a nice sound, don't you agree?
10-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #2473
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
... and who has fond memories of Ricoh?
Quite a few of us, actually. Many users on this site are former and current owners of Ricoh film cameras and I think it is safe to say that most have fond memories associated with the brand. Ricoh was a camera company long before they branched into office machines.

Steve
10-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #2474
Veteran Member

My second ever SLR was a Prinzflex, (the first was a Zenit E) which was a brand name used by the now defunct Dixon chain in the UK. It was, I believe, a Ricoh Singlex in light disguise, and had an M42 screw mount. Great value, and I always thought the shutter dial on the front of the camera made a lot of sense, as it was easy to change speeds without altering one's grip on the camera. Even at that early stage in my photographic endeavours, I lusted over Pentax lenses and cameras. But the Prinzflex/Ricoh did the job nicely.
10-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2475
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
My second ever SLR was a Prinzflex, (the first was a Zenit E) which was a brand name used by the now defunct Dixon chain in the UK. It was, I believe, a Ricoh Singlex in light disguise, and had an M42 screw mount. Great value, and I always thought the shutter dial on the front of the camera made a lot of sense, as it was easy to change speeds without altering one's grip on the camera. Even at that early stage in my photographic endeavours, I lusted over Pentax lenses and cameras. But the Prinzflex/Ricoh did the job nicely.
My 35mm f2.8 lens is an old M42-mount Prinzflex, and it is great!