Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #2491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Had a great time at the 2nd Largest Oktoberfest..........

All I saw was nothing but Canikons
enough to drive one to drink

10-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #2492

Photos: Albums
Really guys... where are you all living? I haven't posted in a while (this is one of my favourite threads), but I keep seeing Pentaxes all over the place. Was walking across King George Square today and saw a white K-r on a tripod being operated by a young bloke. His girlfriend had a red one.

Make no mistake... I see ten or twenty times as many other brands.... but that still means about five or ten percent of cameras is a Pentax, so I see one every few days. Then there is the K1000 thing that was happening with the hipsters round here a while ago...
10-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #2493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to follow on from Rob....I think Pentax has a pretty good representation here in Oz, better than the US, it seems.

I was at a workshop this past weekend, and out of the 15? attendees, there were 9+ Canon, 3 Nikon, and 4 Pentax camera's (ok, I had two, so that helps the numbers) a K20, a K-7, a K-5 and a K-5IIs. 3 1/2 generations of Pentax's.

If you add the 4 staff, there were 2 Canon - a 60d and something a bit older, 1 Nikon D4 (nice camera!!!) and an Om-d

So we were on equal footing with the big N folk, if not so ubiquitous as the big C.

The best comment of the week came from the head guy, Glynn Lavender from CPW. "There is just something about the Pentax colours, they just look right"

He is a Canon man, but fairly brand agnostic I believe, being a 30+ year veteran of the photo industry. On one trip I went with him and a few other 4ish years ago, he was sporting a Ricoh as his 'street camera'... some predecessor of the GR I think.

Last edited by wizofoz; 10-28-2013 at 02:08 AM.
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #2494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Then there is the K1000 thing that was happening with the hipsters round here a while ago...
I bought a K1000 a few years ago... does that make me a hipster too???

10-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #2495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
enough to drive one to drink

Showed some pictures in the (K-30 section of posting pictures)............
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2496
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Precisely!

Did not know that........
10-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #2497
jrl

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Just to follow on from Rob....I think Pentax has a pretty good representation here in Oz, better than the US, it seems.
I would have to agree with this since I've encountered a few in the wild . I was in a camera store (Digidirect on Elizabeth St, Melbourne) earlier today to check out a lens I was eyeing and heard someone enquire about the K-3. Saw that he had the K-30 around his neck too.

10-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #2498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrl Quote
heard someone enquire about the K-3. Saw that he had the K-30 around his neck too.
Would have been even better if he had a Canikon around his neck
10-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #2499
Veteran Member

Today, Beijing, Forbidden City: Pentax K-01. A bit outside the Forbidden City, at a hill: K-5, with a lens hood. I still don't have a lens hood, my Pentax lenses all came without... Crazy dynamic range today, I can't imagine how screwed people with lesser cameras than the K-5 are.
11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #2500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some weeks ago i had a 10 day round-trip trough northen and mid Italy (a.o. Venice, Rome, Napoly, Florance, Pompei) and i only saw 2 Pentaxians (who i of course greeted)
So i still think we are realy that rare
11-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #2501
Veteran Member

Spotted a fellow Pentaxian with a K-5 at 5am this morning for Sunrise at park in Bondi !

Less remarkable when you know there were over 100 photographers out there, it was crazy
Sculpture by the Sea

I even saw a guy with a Rollei TLR.
11-03-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, we are. Saw my first "other Pentax guy", after several years, just a couple weeks ago.
As seen on another thread there are darn few Pentax dealers in the US which is part of the reason why we don't see lots of other Pentax shooter like we did 40 years ago. Add to that a lack of advertising and that's why there are so few of us. I think that Pentax (Ricoh) ought to "give" each Pentax DSLR buyer a nice "PENTAX/Ricoh" jacket for tons of free advertising...

How about it Ricoh?? Just bought a new K3 and could use a nice jacket....
11-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #2503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Add to that a lack of advertising and that's why there are so few of us. I think that Pentax (Ricoh) ought to "give" each Pentax DSLR buyer a nice "PENTAX/Ricoh" jacket for tons of free advertising...
Nice idea, but they do give us a nice camera strap with "PENTAX" in big, friendly, red letters on it. I wear mine with pride, as I like to be different from the unknowing herd who, poor things, have never experienced the delights of our brand. But sometimes I think I ought to fit a Canon strap, so my camera doesn't get stolen
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #2504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
As seen on another thread there are darn few Pentax dealers in the US which is part of the reason why we don't see lots of other Pentax shooter like we did 40 years ago. Add to that a lack of advertising and that's why there are so few of us. I think that Pentax (Ricoh) ought to "give" each Pentax DSLR buyer a nice "PENTAX/Ricoh" jacket for tons of free advertising...

How about it Ricoh?? Just bought a new K3 and could use a nice jacket....
I have the hat, but I paid for it.
11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #2505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
they do give us a nice camera strap with "PENTAX" in big, friendly, red letters on it
In the conference call last spring Jim Malcolm asked us to "wear" our Q's on the strap all the time. For the first time in many years I actually got a strap out of the plastic and attached it to a camera. Actually, it is sort of fun!