Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #2626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not really about rarity, although at the High Museum in Atlanta yesterday to see the Tuileries exhibit with my Pentax MX I saw only one other "real" camera, some sort of Nikon DSLR. Funny thing, the Tuileries exhibit was off limits to "real" cameras, but cell phone "cameras" were okay. The guy issuing photography "permits" (really!) said that the restriction was imposed by the Louvre, he didn't know why. He though it might be related to image quality. I filled out an inquiry form, I'll let folks know what, and if, I get a response.

Funny thing, a couple years ago the High had a wonderful exhibit of classic cars. Photos were okay, but no flash. Now, when those cars arrived, either under their own power or trucked in, even if covered they would have "suffered" more light than a zillion camera flashes. Ah, well. And so it goes....

01-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #2627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
For some reason there a lot of Pentax shooters here in Adelaide, South Australia.
There are always a few at the camera club and other outings.
From reading posts from around this Forum it "seems" to me that there is a higher percentage of Pentax shooters in Australia and Canada that here in the U.S.. I have no actual data but it sure seems that way. And it sounds like Pentax equipment is more readily available there as well. The nearest dealer I've found for me in the states is a 6 hour drive away....
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #2628
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Not really about rarity, although at the High Museum in Atlanta yesterday to see the Tuileries exhibit with my Pentax MX I saw only one other "real" camera, some sort of Nikon DSLR. Funny thing, the Tuileries exhibit was off limits to "real" cameras, but cell phone "cameras" were okay. The guy issuing photography "permits" (really!) said that the restriction was imposed by the Louvre, he didn't know why. He though it might be related to image quality. I filled out an inquiry form, I'll let folks know what, and if, I get a response.

Funny thing, a couple years ago the High had a wonderful exhibit of classic cars. Photos were okay, but no flash. Now, when those cars arrived, either under their own power or trucked in, even if covered they would have "suffered" more light than a zillion camera flashes. Ah, well. And so it goes....
Proprietors of premises and exhibitors may restrict photography for a number of reasons:
1. Privacy of other patrons (it is private or controlled property).
2. Security (so the photos cannot be used to plot heists).
3. Potential light damage to the exhibits.
4. Irritation of flashes to other patrons.
5. Copyright - either for the items exhibited or to prevent do-it-yourself photos which reduce sales of the books in the merchandise store at the end of the exhibition.

(Probably a few others too.)
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #2629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
From reading posts from around this Forum it "seems" to me that there is a higher percentage of Pentax shooters in Australia and Canada that here in the U.S.
I'm under the impression that a great many places have better new (digital) Pentax availability and representation, including Australia and Canada.
The one advantage I think the US still has is the used market for Pentax is huge here due to the sheer amount of stuff imported back in the film era when the dollar was strong compared to the yen and Pentax had yet to flop and disappear.
Perhaps other areas are loaded with used Pentax stuff as well, I don't really know. I know Japan is but that doesn't really count.

01-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #2630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I'm under the impression that a great many places have better new (digital) Pentax availability and representation, including Australia and Canada.
The one advantage I think the US still has is the used market for Pentax is huge here due to the sheer amount of stuff imported back in the film era when the dollar was strong compared to the yen and Pentax had yet to flop and disappear.
Perhaps other areas are loaded with used Pentax stuff as well, I don't really know. I know Japan is but that doesn't really count.
Well, it does appear that Ricoh is making the moves to bring Pentax back here in the U.S. but for those of us who are located in the rural flyover land there's nothing. Over in Minneapolis there is a very big, 80 year old camera store called National Camera Exchange and they did handle Pentax and they have used gear from the film era but no new stuff. Maybe in the next couple years I hope. Sure would like to take a vacation to Japan and knock around the smaller cities and go through the camera shops....
01-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #2631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When in Cincinnati at Christmas, I noted Dodd Cameras featured Pentax in their advertisements. The K50 was the primary in the ad, with some bundle package deal. I didn't have time to visit any of the stores, though. I'd have tempted myself too much with a K-3...
01-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #2632
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that when you think about it we really are pretty rare, first because we are DSLR users. 40+ years ago when I got started with my Spotmatic SLR users were probably a higher percentage of photographers than they are now. Today everyone (well almost) takes pictures because its so easy in this modern electronic age. Just think of the hundreds of millions (maybe billions) of pictures snapped every day around the world on cell phones and inexpensive yet high quality small digital cameras with immediate results. The number of pictures taken daily and DSLR's used has got to be pretty small in comparison and of that number Pentax is a small number. I'd have to guess that for the big companies like Canon, Ricoh, Nikon and Sony that they are making a lot of money in the general consumer camera market. Don't know if there really are big profits to be made for them in the expensive to make DSLR's and lenses sector. The point and shot cameras seem to be better suited to high speed automation production. DSLR lenses are not...

01-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #2633
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I guess that when you think about it we really are pretty rare, first because we are DSLR users. 40+ years ago when I got started with my Spotmatic SLR users were probably a higher percentage of photographers than they are now. Today everyone (well almost) takes pictures because its so easy in this modern electronic age. Just think of the hundreds of millions (maybe billions) of pictures snapped every day around the world on cell phones and inexpensive yet high quality small digital cameras with immediate results. The number of pictures taken daily and DSLR's used has got to be pretty small in comparison and of that number Pentax is a small number. I'd have to guess that for the big companies like Canon, Ricoh, Nikon and Sony that they are making a lot of money in the general consumer camera market. Don't know if there really are big profits to be made for them in the expensive to make DSLR's and lenses sector. The point and shot cameras seem to be better suited to high speed automation production. DSLR lenses are not...
That is not the case. They are all getting out of the point and shoot market. Few people buy them. Most use their phone, the rest is split between DSLR, mirrorless and high end compacts.
01-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #2634
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
When in Cincinnati at Christmas, I noted Dodd Cameras featured Pentax in their advertisements. The K50 was the primary in the ad, with some bundle package deal. I didn't have time to visit any of the stores, though. I'd have tempted myself too much with a K-3...
I walked through the Dodd's here in Dayton (45 miles north for Cincinnati) a couple of weeks ago and not a single Pentax in site. I've never seen Pentax in any Dodd newspaper advertisement.

Tim
01-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #2635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That is not the case. They are all getting out of the point and shoot market. Few people buy them. Most use their phone, the rest is split between DSLR, mirrorless and high end compacts.
I guess that's true about sales dropping with the point and shoot cameras so what then are the sales percentages with the other cameras and have the camera manufactures simply lost market share to the cell phone manufactures??
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #2636
Veteran Member

Was I dreaming, or did I really see Sheldon Cooper using a Pentax on a tripod in a recent (in the UK) episode of The Big Bang Theory? The name on the prism was blacked out, but it looked Pentax shaped: perhaps it was a K20D or some such?
01-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #2637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Was I dreaming, or did I really see Sheldon Cooper using a Pentax on a tripod in a recent (in the UK) episode of The Big Bang Theory? The name on the prism was blacked out, but it looked Pentax shaped: perhaps it was a K20D or some such?
Whoa! I missed that.... maybe if enough of us wrote in we could get Penny to wear a Pentax shirt/top....
01-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #2638
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Care to find it on Youtube? Or at least the episode ## ?
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #2639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it definitely was a PENTAX... but it was not really on when they were shooting! haha
01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #2640
Veteran Member

I think it must be from Series 7 as I caught it on Channel E4, and it was not one I had seen before (I have series 1 - 6 on DVD). I didn't catch what episode it was - either the one with the treasure hunt, or the one where Amy Farrah Fowler spoils "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for Sheldon..