Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #2641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely from this year... season 7 as I was watching it on on-demand... But I watched 5 in a row so I have no idea which one it was.

I wish I could remember why they were taking pics in the apt... maybe then I could figure out which episode

01-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #2642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
From reading posts from around this Forum it "seems" to me that there is a higher percentage of Pentax shooters in Australia and Canada that here in the U.S.. I have no actual data but it sure seems that way. And it sounds like Pentax equipment is more readily available there as well. The nearest dealer I've found for me in the states is a 6 hour drive away....
I know three other Pentax shooters in Aus. One uses my old DS on permanent loan, one is a nephew using a k5 and a niece using a KR. The niece and nephew are on opposite 'sides' of the family and don't know each other, and I had no input into their decisions, so I don't know how they were influenced to go Pentax.
Other than that I have never seen a Pentax DSLR in the wild, and I have rarely seen one in a shop. Both my Pentaxes were bought sight unseen, because I couldn't see one, hold one, or try one, without a 500km round trip. The local distributor has not been very proactive in promotion and most camera stores and big box retailers just ignore the brand. If Pentax seems more popular in Aus than in the US, it is by accident or marketing in the US is as poor as posters here say.
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #2643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I know three other Pentax shooters in Aus. One uses my old DS on permanent loan, one is a nephew using a k5 and a niece using a KR. The niece and nephew are on opposite 'sides' of the family and don't know each other, and I had no input into their decisions, so I don't know how they were influenced to go Pentax.
Other than that I have never seen a Pentax DSLR in the wild, and I have rarely seen one in a shop. Both my Pentaxes were bought sight unseen, because I couldn't see one, hold one, or try one, without a 500km round trip. The local distributor has not been very proactive in promotion and most camera stores and big box retailers just ignore the brand. If Pentax seems more popular in Aus than in the US, it is by accident or marketing in the US is as poor as posters here say.
Other than Pentax meet-ups arranged thru this forum... I have personally only seen one Pentax in the wild, a Kx with 18-55kit, -- but I did accidentally catch a Pentax strap in a photo at a fashion show once.

But I have only been shooting for 10 years, so I am not sure you could judge accurately based on my limited exposure.
01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #2644
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding 'Lens Loan' -- the Pentax Club of Great Britain used to have a free lens loan when it was run by Peter & Liz Cox in the 1970's-80's - if you went out on a trip you could borrow from a lot of the M42 Screw lenses -- one year I went to the Continent -- possibly Photokina -- and on the way back we were stopped and searched by FRENCH CUSTOMS officers - when they saw the case of lenses they demanded 'Import Duty Tax' so high Peter Cox didn;t have enough MONEY on him so he had to go round the coach of members and loan some money from everybody or they would have impounded all the lenses -- we got our money back but needless to say PENTAX STOPPED all 'Lens Loan Schemes' and the PENTAX CLUB went BROKE and the magazine stopped being published then it was taken over by Peter Bargh and HE has just taken early retirement !!

01-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #2645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Care to find it on Youtube? Or at least the episode ## ?
01-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #2646
Veteran Member

On the TV news tonight (Sydney, Australia) there was a story about a ferry boat captain who has been photographing the changing face of Sydney Harbour over many years. He was shown using his black Asahi Pentax film SLR.
01-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #2647
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a yellow K-01 at the zoo in Syracuse, NY today. First time I've ever seen a K-01 in person.

01-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #2648
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I saw a yellow K-01 at the zoo in Syracuse, NY today. First time I've ever seen a K-01 in person.
I've only seen 3 pentax users since I bought K-30......... K-01 isn't one of them
01-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #2649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 kicks butt... never seen anyone else with one though
01-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #2650
Veteran Member

I just realised the other day that when we went on holidays to China about 5 years ago with Intrepid Tours there were in fact 3 Pentax users there. The guide with an istd* and a sigma 18-200, myself with my newly acquired k100d, sigma 18-55 and pentax da 50-200, and an American with a compact Pentax OptioW2.

I don't think that ever really clicked in my head until the other day when I was looking through photos from the trip.

Have also forgot to mention at wolfiepup's baptism, there was me, with my k-x and another girl with a k100d.

I need to get my memory jogged to see if I can recall any other instances where I've seen Pentaxians around. Who knows what else I've seen and forgotten about...
01-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #2651

Went to the auto show today, all I saw was a single pentax film camera.

Lots of Canikon and one sony dslr. I did see a guy with an A7 or A7r.
01-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #2652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Went Eagle peeking (and shooting) yesterday on the Mississippi Flyway at St. Louis / Alton / Grafton. There were literally hundreds of people at lookouts, lodges and just stopped on the side of the road, looking up with one eye to a viewfinder. Not a single Pentax - just Canon and a few Nikon and a boatload of superzooms.

I got some really funny looks at the Lodge at late lunch, and on the deck at the Lookout, but this is St. Louis - Flyover Country - people look at the flash hump, register surprise, look up, nod, but they don't speak. Wouldn't be polite.

FWIW, a DA55~300 wasn't enough reach. I have no idea what those other people thought they were going to get.
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #2653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Went Eagle peeking (and shooting) yesterday on the Mississippi Flyway at St. Louis / Alton / Grafton. There were literally hundreds of people at lookouts, lodges and just stopped on the side of the road, looking up with one eye to a viewfinder. Not a single Pentax - just Canon and a few Nikon and a boatload of superzooms.

I got some really funny looks at the Lodge at late lunch, and on the deck at the Lookout, but this is St. Louis - Flyover Country - people look at the flash hump, register surprise, look up, nod, but they don't speak. Wouldn't be polite.

FWIW, a DA55~300 wasn't enough reach. I have no idea what those other people thought they were going to get.
From experience, I will say that the superzooms probably did a lot better than the 70-200 $1500 lenses on the C&N
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #2654
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
During my European tour in 2011, I did not see another single Pentax user. Same during my visit to HK in 2007 and Malaysia in 2011. Honestly, I felt special. BTW, I have two new Pentax users in my family after my son and his wife inherited my *ist DS and K200D, respectively. I now use my K7 and K5.
01-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #2655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
From experience, I will say that the superzooms probably did a lot better than the 70-200 $1500 lenses on the C&N
I recommended a Nikon superzoom for my sister. It has a crazy range of equivalent 28-1000mm! Not the best at lowlight, but would be great for long bird shots in daylight.