Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #2686
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw Jenny Jones, the recent Great Britain Sochi Winter Olympic bronze medallist, being interviewed on the BBC wearing a Pentax neck strap - I couldn't see what was hanging off it though!

02-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #2687
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I saw Jenny Jones, the recent Great Britain Sochi Winter Olympic bronze medallist, being interviewed on the BBC wearing a Pentax neck strap - I couldn't see what was hanging off it though!
let's see if we can google that...

ok, can't see any. But I found this:

Last edited by Alizarine; 02-11-2014 at 05:16 PM.
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #2688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
Jenny Jones - Pentax ambassador for Ricoh Imaging - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

K-30 (she probably didn't buy it herself though)
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #2689
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha Ricoh sure knows how to do things.

Slowly but surely, people

02-11-2014, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #2690

i know we are rare but when you go into a camera store they know you recognize a good quality camera and have many comments about being a smart camera purchaser,,, walmart and staples sell canons and nikon!!! real camera stores sell pentax. i was in a camera store once a the kid behind the counter sad oh a pentax, i only shoot nikon .. nikon all the way... and my answer was.. how many cameras have you owned? he said one ... and its a nikon... how the heck can anyone compared when they have never ever experience other cameras
02-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #2691
Veteran Member

So my brother walked into one of the local camera stores and apparently there was a silver k-3 sitting there in a big box. Last time I was there, there was only a K-50 and maybe a K-5 ii..
02-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #2692

Wow!! Here in the UK the quality national department store John Lewis is to stock Pentax DSLRs! This is a major coup as John Lewis has been a Canon/Nikon stronghold. Well done Ricoh.

Richard

02-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #2693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in Columbus, Ohio today. I had planned to go to a nice gear store (Midwest Photo Exchange), I call them a gear store because they have just about everything photography, except Pentax. I've bought bags, tripod, ect there because the have a good selection and prices. Today I learned of another store in Columbus, "World of Photography", apparently they have been around awhile as "World of Used Photography" and recently moved to this new location. I went there and whoa, there were some new Pentax products there.K30s in red and one one the special order combos, Q7s in wild colors, WGs. I did not see a K3 or any new lenses but I was shocked nonetheless. I was so speechless I didn't ask if they were an authorized dealer or anything. They did seem to have some used lenses on a shelf behind the counter. I also found another case with several Takumars and some A primes, and another section had a few "bargain" k-mount and M42 lenses. I did buy a used Lowepro Lens Exchange Case 200AW for $20, it looked just like the new one they had for $45 (a little overpriced) except no Lowepro tag.
02-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #2694

At last weekends sled dog races . . .

1. One Pentax (mine).

2. Two Nikons.

3. About a million Canons. Including one which the owner of, whom I didn't know, had me look at the telephoto lens he we using.

Being rare isn't bad, but being so rare you look like an endangered species does cause some concern.
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2695
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pat_H Quote
.... About a million Canons. Including one which the owner of, whom I didn't know, had me look at the telephoto lens he we using.

Being rare isn't bad, but being so rare you look like an endangered species does cause some concern.
I think that sometimes, with a new user, they see a high-end looking camera (k5/K3) in a brand they don't recognize and assume it is some super expensive pro camera nobody else can afford like Hasselblad, Leica or PhaseOne. It is the only explanation I can think of for the number of times I have been asked for help from a lost and confused new Canon owner.

I suppose it could just be my general appearance of competence and trustworthiness.

Naahh!
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #2696
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Saw a Hot chick today with a D3100..........
Asked what is a Pentax??

Nuff said
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #2697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I created a new Pentaxian by selling my old gear.... Therefore: Go forth, make good photos, share those photos through prints and emails, renew your gear regularly. We will have a viral effect once the critical mass is achieved... (/shrug)
02-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #2698

I see more Pentax than Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, or Fuji while I'm out for landscape shooting.

So, think differently.

We are the number one except for Canon and Nikon!
02-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #2699

Photos: Albums
I see a lot of Pentax users in Helsinki. We have a lot of tourism from Japan, so Qs and all the multi-colored DSLRs turn up pretty often in the city center. Then, I also Pentax straps around locals as well.

Weather sealing + Cold resistance = a great choice for Finland.

Non existant service however... I almost had a heart attack when my dog ran into a chair the other day that had my K-3 + 50-135 on it. Camera and lens flew off and onto the floor from about half a meter. This is the same 50-135 that my wife broke on our wedding day when she dropped it from about 1.5 meters.

Picked up the camera and noticed that the lens hood was cracked in one spot. The lens itself was fine- no broken glass this time around. I'm still wary that it is off centered or something, but I've taken a number of images since then without any issues (to my eye).

Still, I'd like to know I could send it in for repair without the extra insurance cost to Germany (like last time) or Sweden.

I really hope Ricoh's plans for increasing their service come to fruition soon. I assume they have plans anyway, since they have said they want to be a contender. Pentax gear holds its own when it comes to technology (well, for the most part!). But when the argument revolving around service is made, well...
02-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #2700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Still, I'd like to know I could send it in for repair without the extra insurance cost to Germany (like last time) or Sweden.

I really hope Ricoh's plans for increasing their service come to fruition soon. I assume they have plans anyway, since they have said they want to be a contender. Pentax gear holds its own when it comes to technology (well, for the most part!). But when the argument revolving around service is made, well...
I do hope Pentax increases the number of their service centers worldwide. This will give them more leverage in customers' minds. Recently the Pentax plant here in the Philippines opened up its own repair shop but all repairs are filtered through the local distributor. No direct sending.

As for technology nobody near my neighborhood and work range (except Pentaxians) can shrug at its technology level, especially weathersealing. Being a tropical country with all the humidity, dust, sand, salty air, and all, Pentax WR cameras and lenses make a perfect niche here. 'cept that many still don't get that. I still can't forget the faces of my colleagues when they saw me showering with my camera, by the beach, checking photos under the spraying water, with sand everywhere on my body and on my cam. I should've taken a shot of them!