Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #2791
mee
Veteran Member

I still have yet to see another Pentax camera locally.. slr or p+s..

I tried to sell my K-30 kit locally and got 0 bites.. well I got one after lowering the price a few times to bargain basement, a text asking what is my lowest I'd go.. I shaved off another 20 bucks.. and no response back. Even after showing the ebay sold pricing which was a solid 80-100 dollars over my asking. Meanwhile, a friend of mine locally sold his T1i in a manner of a few days and got the same price for which I asked on the K-30 kit..

Pentax/Ricoh harms itself by not advertising and marketing heavily. Not many (any??) not into photography know what is a Pentax camera. "Is that like a cheap Bell and Howell?" "Did you buy it at the Dollar General or Big lots??" They play it safe for their reasons I'm sure they have..

And they can keep releasing awesome products. But they won't catch on in the form of significant marketshare unless they really start making an intelligent promotional push to make them catch on... at least in the USA.

I remember the Canon TV commercials in the early 90s for the Canon Rebel SLRs with Andre Agassi. I think it was the only time I can remember an SLR style camera being advertised on television. And look at Canon today. Obviously not that the commercial was the only reason for this.. but it sure made a large impact on the would-be buyer ( at least this one -- proof is that I still remember it).

04-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #2792
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Saw a fabulous french girl with a K20D in the supermarket the other day
Fabulous girl, and you noticed the camera!!!? I take my hat off to a true camera buff and Pentaxian
04-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #2793
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Fabulous girl, and you noticed the camera!!!? I take my hat off to a true camera buff and Pentaxian
I take it his pickup line of "So, do you chimp often?" meant he went home alone.
04-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #2794
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I take it his pickup line of "So, do you chimp often?" meant he went home alone.

I'll write that down!

05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #2795

I got that dirty look from my fellows friends in town because of my Pentax k5. I remember there was a dude ask me
What is Pentax ? Sound like a cheap Chinese DSLR ! It was funny though
05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #2796

Over the years I've gone past this "brand loyalty thing" I honestly think most of us know that in 100 years time anyone looking at our photos isn't going to give a hoot what camera or lens or how many pixels you had. We all fall for it..whatever happens to any of the makers so long as I can take photos I don't really care that much.

I do hope Pentax carry on, they have some genuinely good ideas and thinking offering something different. If not then that's life we move on
05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #2797
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DuyNguyen Quote
What is Pentax ? Sound like a cheap Chinese DSLR !
Then your friends had the understanding of a labrador staring at a Matisse!

Pentax has a glorious history, pioneering 35mm film SLRs before Canon or Nikon!

05-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #2798

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Then your friends had the understanding of a labrador staring at a Matisse!

Pentax has a glorious history, pioneering 35mm film SLRs before Canon or Nikon!
yup since we are a bunch of young people, i only discover the Pentax through my grand dad film kit pass down to me no so long ago, before that canon L series is the only thing i got in mind
05-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #2799
Veteran Member

Hm. I recenylu
05-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #2800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
And they can keep releasing awesome products. But they won't catch on in the form of significant marketshare unless they really start making an intelligent promotional push to make them catch on... at least in the USA.
Assuming Ricoh aren't complete idiots, their actions (or lack thereof) indicate they aren't interested in 'significant marketshare' near term.

IMHO they want to be the alternative dSLR system to Canon and Nikon - not Soney, Oly, Fuji or Panny, not MILC, not adapter multi-mount cmarea builders. They want to be a dSLR system maker (and a somewhat bent take on MILC - the Q system).

Assuming they aren't complete idiots, that's how they think they can make the best ROIC, near term.
05-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #2801
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Over the years I've gone past this "brand loyalty thing" I honestly think most of us know that in 100 years time anyone looking at our photos isn't going to give a hoot what camera or lens or how many pixels you had. We all fall for it..whatever happens to any of the makers so long as I can take photos I don't really care that much.
I think people of then times also thought of that, but people nowadays for some reason are more interested in "what was it shot with?" than "how was it shot?" Not sure though since I don't have statistics but it's prevalent on Facebook at least.
05-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #2802
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
people nowadays for some reason are more interested in "what was it shot with?"
This is what I get asked on Facebook just about every time I post an album. Usually from "Pinterest Moms" who want to produce the same shots. I just reply "Pentax" so they stop commenting.
05-06-2014, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #2803
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
This is what I get asked on Facebook just about every time I post an album. Usually from "Pinterest Moms" who want to produce the same shots. I just reply "Pentax" so they stop commenting.
I like that, but I'd simply say, "A camera." Let the questioner think a bit. Undoubtedly they will try to clarify their question and one could simply explain that a photo is only as good as the eye of the person behind the camera.
05-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #2804

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I like that, but I'd simply say, "A camera." Let the questioner think a bit. Undoubtedly they will try to clarify their question and one could simply explain that a photo is only as good as the eye of the person behind the camera.
In general I tend to concur with you about this. It shows with the photos I take with my K-x and what my kids take with the same camera (it boils down to experience). But still the camera you use is certainly an important factor on the outcome. It is definitely not the same using your DSLR than using a cellphone camera, for instance.

Have a great day!

Norberto
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #2805
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
But still the camera you use is certainly an important factor on the outcome. It is definitely not the same using your DSLR than using a cellphone camera, for instance.
I believe that is debatable. I worked with a lady a couple years ago who takes outstanding photos with her DSLR. She also has take numerous excellent photos (composition, color, exposure, clarity, focus, etc.) with her cell phone. In the hands of someone with expertise the outcome will be remarkable quality. However the camera can be the best in the world, but in the hands of a novice the photos will show the lack of experience due to poor technical settings, composition, focus and a myriad of other factors.

Just MHO.