Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #2851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sphinx

I do not know if this counts but I notice that one of the archaeologists on a Smithsonian channel program called Secret of the Sphinx was using a Pentax DSLR. The camera and bright red and black strap were displayed prominently several time around 13 minutes into the show. I could not id the DSLR but it appeared to have the kit 18-55,

05-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #2852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother got some trash-talk from a Cannon guy at the airshow. He replied he can use his dad's lenses purchased in Vietnam in the 60s.
05-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #2853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
My brother got some trash-talk from a Cannon guy at the airshow. He replied he can use his dad's lenses purchased in Vietnam in the 60s.
I have yet to receive any badmouthing. The "serious" amateur photographers I know are just curious about my Pentax stuff...and impressed by the small primes! But one comeback I have saved up I read here on PF (probably in this very thread somewhere): "Yeah, I started out with Canon." (Which is in my case true.)
05-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #2854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I have yet to receive any badmouthing. The "serious" amateur photographers I know are just curious about my Pentax stuff...and impressed by the small primes! But one comeback I have saved up I read here on PF (probably in this very thread somewhere): "Yeah, I started out with Canon." (Which is in my case true.)
Nice comeback, but it wouldn't work for us. We were born with Pentax cameras, hehe. But it was not out and out bad-mouthing. More teasing.

06-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #2855
Veteran Member

I was walking at a beach in Spain when I saw a man carrying a DSLR. Happens very seldom, and then I noticed red lettering on the strap. It was a K-x. My camera was in my camera bag though.

It's a shame no one is saying something bad about Pentax when I'm around.
06-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #2856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This probably doesn't count at all... but I'll toss it in just for the heck of it. Had a "procedure" at the doctor's office on Friday (basically rearranging the inside of my nose because of chronic sinus issues) and afterward, they moved me into the next little room for a brief recovery period. In that room, I was literally surrounded by Pentax medical imaging gear -- big red Pentax logo on all sorts of machinery, big red Pentax logo on some boxes under a table. I think some of the equipment used during my time in the chair was Pentax, too, although it was all behind me and the room was dark.
06-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #2857
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even though I now walk around with my D800, When ever I see a Pentax I give them credit even though many look at me lost like when I ask about any lenses, all but one have had a kit 18-55..
I still take out my Super Program with my M 50mm f1.7 though!
I miss my old 10-17mm fisheye.. might have to buy the Tokina soon.

06-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #2858
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
This probably doesn't count at all... but I'll toss it in just for the heck of it. Had a "procedure" at the doctor's office on Friday (basically rearranging the inside of my nose because of chronic sinus issues) and afterward, they moved me into the next little room for a brief recovery period. In that room, I was literally surrounded by Pentax medical imaging gear -- big red Pentax logo on all sorts of machinery, big red Pentax logo on some boxes under a table. I think some of the equipment used during my time in the chair was Pentax, too, although it was all behind me and the room was dark.
Are you sure it wasn't a hallucination from the effects of the anesthetic.

I have dreams like that..... being in a room surrounded by boxes full of PENTAX gear
06-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #2859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

I have dreams like that..... being in a room surrounded by boxes full of PENTAX gear
Ha, well I got new glasses last year and saw everything BUT Pentax in my ophthalmologist's office ...Zeiss, Nikon, Olympus, etc...
06-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #2860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Ha, well I got new glasses last year and saw everything BUT Pentax in my ophthalmologist's office ...Zeiss, Nikon, Olympus, etc...

heh - my glasses are Pentax 8)
06-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #2861
Veteran Member

you beat me to the punchline, steve!

@Tsuken - yes, I noticed SpecSavers make a point of saying they have pentax lenses for their glasses. Not quite the same thing but hey...
06-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #2862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite sure...the anesthetic was all local. So the middle of my face was numb but I was otherwise wide awake. No mistake, everything in there was Pentax. The nurse was probably thinking "I've seen a lot of post-op patients in here, but never one with a big smirk...wonder what that's about?"
06-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #2863

On a recent sunny afternoon at a local stately home I joined the many taking advantage of the good light and dry weather. DSLRs everywhere. All Nikon except my K-30, and one Canon, a decline in Canon I've noticed elsewhere too. Interestingly, it was only those with the D4 and D7***s that gave knowing nods to my Pentax.
06-02-2014, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #2864
Pentaxian

Taking a cruise to Alaska next week. It will be interesting to see if there are any other Pentax users out there on deck in the rain or out on the whale-watching boats in the salt... WR was one of the prime reasons for upgrading my rig from K100D to K30/18-135 Hoping for some good close-up time with our cetacean buddies!

Jim
06-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #2865
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
No mistake, everything in there was Pentax
I assume that the stuff you saw was HOYA stuff. Hoya bought Pentax to get hold of the medical imaging division. They kept the photog division going just well enough to onsell to Ricoh.
Hoya has kept the rights to the Pentax name for that division.
I'm not sure about the situation with spectacle lenses.