Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2926
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Will be in Toronto in the next few weeks, where do I head?
Henry's.....

07-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #2927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
We were just in Portland, OR a couple weeks ago, and stumbled across this shop (Camera World - downtown Portland) carrying the full line - K-3, DA*, FA Limiteds, DA (HD) Limiteds, you name it!! They said they will ship across the US, and you can call them to get better prices I may have to do that for whatever my next lens may be...
Wow, that's a heck of a collection right there! Anyone know if this store has always had a large Pentax display? I would like to think it's a sign of Ricoh's progress in getting back on the shelves...
07-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #2928
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's what I'd do before I went to henry's... decide what lens you want... say you wanted a PENTAX DA* 55MM F1.4 SDM LENS go to the website and click on the lens you'd like to see. You will either see a list of stores where it's stocked, in this case you get the message... Special order - This item is not stocked in any of our stores.

Or you wanted to see a PENTAX DA 18-135MM F3.5-5.6 ED WR, you can see this lens only in the Toronto Store, you can see the non-WR version of the 55-300, only in Cambridge.

The DA 50mm ƒ1.8 is on sale for 169$ and it's available in almost every store.

SO there's the thing, the 18-135 is in one store, the main store in Toronto, a couple hundred dollars more, and the DA 55 isn't available in any store. I wouldn't expect to see a specific lens that cost over a couple hundred dollars without first confirming on-line that it' in the store, and possibly calling the store to make sure it's there.

15 ltd... no, 40-2.8..no,17-70 yes in Toronto

The most expensive lens I can find available apart from one 18-135 in Toronto, is a few DA 55-200 available at Vaughan , Thornhill and Toronto, I definitely would not go into Heny's looking to see lenses, if I want to look at stuff worth more than $250. you're in for a traffic experience and not much to look at.

I used to love going down to Henry's and Aden, and Toronto Camera and the pawn shops down around Queen and Church... I'd lock my bike at Queen and Church and walk over to Young Street, you could take in all the heavy hitters in the camera retailing industry and see lots of great gear. plus henry's always had a display case full of used lenses for your consideration in the upstairs section of the store near the service department. Last time I did it I had a nice walk, but I didn't see any interesting camera gear. I had better than what they had on display.

Now if you're looking for a tripod, or a camera bag or something relate to photography, art papers, ink, portfolios, books etc. then it's a great field trip.

Oh and the other thing you can do if you're really organized, is ask you to order in the lens you want... you have to put it on your credit card, pick it up at the store, and if it isn't what you want, return it before you leave the store. Another strategy recommended to me by store staff, the only problem being, they may not have it in by the time you arrive at the store. Then what?

Last edited by normhead; 07-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.
07-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #2929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our local Target has a white Pentax K-50 for sale with the white kit lens.

07-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #2930
Veteran Member

At the Iowa City Jazz Festival over the weekend, I noticed a DSLR with the telltale green stripe around the lens. Sho'nuff, it was a K-5 II. The lens looked like maybe a DA 17-70.
07-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #2931

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Wow, that's a heck of a collection right there! Anyone know if this store has always had a large Pentax display? I would like to think it's a sign of Ricoh's progress in getting back on the shelves...
I was definitely not expecting that big of a display and do hope it's a sign of things to come for Ricoh/Pentax! Sounds like outside of NYC (BH/Adorama) there isn't anything even close to this - they said Pentax does well in the Pac Northwest due to the rainy climate and weather sealing. Now I just have to convince the Minneapolis market that Pentax is a must for the snowy/frozen climate here!!
07-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #2932

Photos: Gallery
I've gotten several friends to shoot Pentax, all in all, the number of Pentax shooters are not so few in the city I live in. Two small but old photo shops has owners who like Pentax, which probably has contributed to neccesary exposure for the older photographers as well.

07-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #2933
Veteran Member

We are so rare....... We can make the Brazilian team look good..........
07-08-2014, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #2934
Veteran Member

Some of you who fancy a table ball game might wanna go to South Korea for Pentax...

or wherever this event was held, haha
07-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #2935
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Some of you who fancy a table ball game might wanna go to South Korea for Pentax...

Hot Korean Girls Can Play Pool Video Part 2 - YouTube

or wherever this event was held, haha
I don't want to hear nay more complaints from you lot about lack of marketing for PENTAX.

I'm thinking of a career change, I think I could do just a good a job in the marketing department at Ricoh. I wonder if they have any openings where it might fit in.
07-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #2936
Veteran Member

DigiDirect in Australia are doing a OK job stocking Pentax (although I don't see a DA 560, or even a battery grip, on display here):

from their Facebook

If they added to this display the GR, plus all the current Sigma K-mount lenses, and the Sigma flashes for Pentax, the display would be even more impressive.
07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #2937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DigiDirect in Australia are doing a OK job stocking Pentax...
That's a damn fine display in my book!
07-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #2938
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a damn fine display in MY book :-)
07-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #2939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Meh..... Seen better in Toronto
Norm and others have covered Toronto well enough (thanks, guys)... keep in mind, there's NOBODY in Miami who stocks Pentax gear of any sort. Might see the odd K30 in a box store, but nothing else, no lenses or other bodies. For me it's mailorder or nothing. Long ago we had several shops that sold Pentax (Phil's Camera was my fave) but they're long gone.
07-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #2940

I live in the UK and Pentax seems to be poorly represented here too.

Other than myself, the only other Pentax user I know is my dad who has my old Samsung GX-1L. Even he is not a dyed in the wool user either as he prefers to use his Sony Alpha 350.

I do still see the odd 35mm-era Pentax's about but not too regular.

I am studying photography at nightschool at the moment and in my class of 12 i'm the only one using Pentax. Everybody else is using either Canon or Nikon. Personally I don't see the point of buying from the top two and then continuing to use their standard kit lenses. Where Canon and Nikon really excell is in their glass and their Speedlights and my colleagues don't seem interested in taking advantage of that.

For me, i've been shooting Pentax and PK kit for over 20 years now and don't see any good reason to change systems yet. I have a full range of legacy SMC M and SMC A glass at my disposal that is almost as good as anything else out there.