Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #3091
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So an old friend posted to the dreaded Facebook saying she wanted a new camera, and of course the Canon fanbois flooded her with comments, but I stuck myself into the fray. And what do you know, I just got a fb message saying she went with the K-50 18-55 bundle. She said she never even would have looked at Pentax if I hadn't said anything!

09-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #3092
Veteran Member

^nice going mate. I think most people think pentax died with film
09-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #3093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. I'd be looking for your commission check in the mail.
09-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #3094

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotted a K110d in the wild today whilst out and about round York.

09-01-2014, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #3095

Photos: Albums
Target is now selling the K-50 Note the 18-55 is listed as a "VR" lens!!

09-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #3096
Veteran Member

The K-50 certainly stands out among those funereal black cameras!
09-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #3097
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
The K-50 certainly stands out among those funereal black cameras!

Doesn't it ever?!

09-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #3098
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Target is now selling the K-50 Note the 18-55 is listed as a "VR" lens!!
The little LED in the "anti theft" mounting isn't on

Does that mean Target doesn't think anyone will try to steal the white DSLR?
09-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #3099
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
The little LED in the "anti theft" mounting isn't on

Does that mean Target doesn't think anyone will try to steal the white DSLR?
It means they are so busy showing it to people they don't want to waste time turning it on and off.
We gave my white K-x to my daughter in law, who actually quite likes it. My sister, when I gave away the K20D, would take it if it was "the white one". She didn't even know what brand it was or anything else about it. It's amazing how many people seem to be un-aware of the negative reputation of camera geeks. (Especially on this site.) Many people want a camera that says, "I'm not a camera geek, I just want to take good pictures." Start a camera geek conversation and you'll hear all kinds of crazy stories about the family camera geeks. Kind of like the family member who's been confined to the looney bin for most of his life. Often the two of them described in the same sentences for comparative purposes. (Like they are really the same personality type, only the camera geek fixated on camera gear, while the asylum resident fixated on the voices in his head,) Trust me, no one , with a camera geek in the family, wants to be associated with that guy. I'm not saying that's why my sister wanted the white one, she's an old Olympus OM-1 shooter and just as much a camera geek as anyone. Maybe trying to dissociate from her own past.

But it's not possible, she takes pictures of leaves and stuff up at my place on her cell phone and directly emails them to her co-workers at the office. Even I'm not that geeky.
09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #3100
Veteran Member

I have to admit I'm the odd man out here. I've bowed out of the Pentax DSLR realm, and sold my like-new K-30. It was a nice camera, but I really prefer the form factor and operation of my Sony NEX cameras. I will miss the weather sealing, but my NEX-6 with an Olympus PEN F lens makes for a delightfully compact system with great IQ. I'm keeping the Q and 01 prime for those times when I want an absolutely minimalist camera, or when I want to take aerial photos with one of my model airplanes. I've sold off the majority of my lenses over the past few weeks, and keeping only those I really want to have around. I still have a few K-mount legacy lenses, but only because I like the quality of the lens, not because I'm particularly hung up on the mount. Great thing about the NEX is that nearly any mount can be used on it with the proper adapter.
09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #3101
Pentaxian

Yesterday we went to the water park (acquatic center) with the kids. I took the K20D.

We had two different life guards coming to us and saying "it's not prohibited to take pictures, but we don't want a splash to ruin your camera!". So we told them it's water resistant. They (college aged kids) seemed perplexed that a smallish DSLR exists, that can take a splash of water and be ok... ours was the only DSLR in the place. I did see a couple small waterproof point and shoots though.

And the pics came out wonderful. I did take a risk putting the DA 35 2.4 on the camera, though. Probably should have just used the kit lens. Both camera and lens did get lightly spashed a couple times, but a wiping was all that was needed to keep on shooting.
09-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #3102
Veteran Member

whoa... I've never seen a pentax in a store... seriously
09-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #3103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
whoa... I've never seen a pentax in a store... seriously
I saw pentax in a store once, in Sweden. A friend of mine bought a kx there and loved it. Pentax cameras don't hold back on features like Canon and Nikon but nobody knows that.
09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
I have to admit I'm the odd man out here. I've bowed out of the Pentax DSLR realm, and sold my like-new K-30. It was a nice camera, but I really prefer the form factor and operation of my Sony NEX cameras. I will miss the weather sealing, but my NEX-6 with an Olympus PEN F lens makes for a delightfully compact system with great IQ. I'm keeping the Q and 01 prime for those times when I want an absolutely minimalist camera, or when I want to take aerial photos with one of my model airplanes. I've sold off the majority of my lenses over the past few weeks, ....
Not so much the Lone Ranger as you might think. I did the exact same thing well over a year ago except that after 6 months and several thousand images with the NEX 5R, I decided I loved the image quality and small/lightness but didn't love the menu system, lack of a decent viewfinder and lack of weather resistance. After getting caught out in the rain while in the wilds of Hokkaido, I had had enough of missing photos while juggling umbrella and/or camera rain covers. When I got home I sold off all the NEX stuff and went with an almost-as-small Olympus mirrorless, which I love.

None of the above means I didn't like the Pentax DSLR system. I liked it a lot, have a library of fine images from it and still enjoy interacting with the Pentax community here. I just needed something significantly lighter and smaller as I got older and less able and/or willing to haul the weight around during my travels.
09-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #3105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Not so much the Lone Ranger as you might think. I did the exact same thing well over a year ago except that after 6 months and several thousand images with the NEX 5R, I decided I loved the image quality and small/lightness but didn't love the menu system, lack of a decent viewfinder and lack of weather resistance. After getting caught out in the rain while in the wilds of Hokkaido, I had had enough of missing photos while juggling umbrella and/or camera rain covers. When I got home I sold off all the NEX stuff and went with an almost-as-small Olympus mirrorless, which I love.

None of the above means I didn't like the Pentax DSLR system. I liked it a lot, have a library of fine images from it and still enjoy interacting with the Pentax community here. I just needed something significantly lighter and smaller as I got older and less able and/or willing to haul the weight around during my travels.
I actually started in MILC with a 5R, then decided I "needed" a weather sealed camera. Bought the K-30 and liked it, and took a lot of nice photos, but I slowly realized the Sony controls were more to my liking, as well as the smaller form factor. Bought a NEX-6, and sold the 5R and K-30. Same with me - nothing all against Pentax, and they make good cameras. I just prefer Sony's offerings. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 looks appealing as a weather sealed body, and it is smaller than the K-30 - although still larger than the NEX-6. If the E-M5 comes down in price over the next year or so, I might get one, but for now, the NEX-6 is my primary shooter. On the other hand, if Sony ever makes a weather sealed camera without significantly bulking it up, I'd give it serious consideration. I used to have a Pasasonic Tough camera that was dust, water, and shock resistant, and it could easily slide into my pocket. IQ was not as good, but it showed a tough camera doesn't have to be huge.