Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #3106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
The K-50 certainly stands out among those funereal black cameras!
So does the K-30

09-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #3107
Veteran Member

I've been using Pentax since I bought a P-30 back in th emid 80's, and when I switched to digital I stuck with Pentax because I could use all my old lenses. Admittedly it's getting harder to find a camera dealer around here who stocks anything Pentax related, but then the joy of the internet means I can order from anywhere.

the thread started with someone asking if pentax users were rare, I would say that we were pretty unique......
09-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #3108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to Crater Lake over Labor Day weekend and must have seen over hundreds of cameras. P&S cameras were the most ubiquitous, followed closely by cell phone cameras. Also a fair number of bridge cameras (lots of Fujis).

DSLRs were also quite well represented, especially entry level Canikons with kit lenses, along with a few mid-level APS-C Canikons (many of them using Tamron glass). Must have seen about 15 FF DSLRs, mostly Canons, all with Canon L glass. There were fewer MILCs to be found. I saw maybe half a dozen NEX's, one Sony A7? model, at least a dozen or so Lumix GM1s (very popular among Asian tourists), and few other miscellaneous Lumix's. Did not see any Olympus or Fuji MILCs.

Out of all this abundance of cameras, I spotted just two Pentax DSLRs: a red metallic K-30 (with black kit lens) and a white K-?? (with matching white kit lens).

One curiosity worth noticing: namely, the near complete absence of primes lenses. Someone shooting the Lumix GM1 had a lens that looked like the Lumix 20 (or 14) pancake. Other than that, I saw not a single prime lens (other than my own DA 15). Indeed, in all my travels and photography expeditions in recent years, where I have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of ILCs, I could probably count on one hand the times I've come across any photographer shooting a prime lens under 400mm on a non-Leica ILC.
09-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #3109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote

One curiosity worth noticing: namely, the near complete absence of primes lenses.

I think the average camera buyer sees primes as a pretty serious limitation. Esp. for travel photo's where you can't zoom with your feet as much in crowds or areas with limited space (walkways). Prime lenses seem to attract people who are more serious about photography and they probably spent a lot of time with zooms prior to that. I just recently started using a x100s by itself and it takes a little getting used to.

09-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #3110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I think the average camera buyer sees primes as a pretty serious limitation. Esp. for travel photo's where you can't zoom with your feet as much in crowds or areas with limited space (walkways). Prime lenses seem to attract people who are more serious about photography and they probably spent a lot of time with zooms prior to that. I just recently started using a x100s by itself and it takes a little getting used to.
Well primes ARE limiting. I mean, you are getting a single focal length. I started with Pentax thinking that I'd be getting the Limiteds and being all enthusiast and advanced using primes. Now, I know that my answer lies with the 16-45 .
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #3111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well primes ARE limiting. I mean, you are getting a single focal length. I started with Pentax thinking that I'd be getting the Limiteds and being all enthusiast and advanced using primes. Now, I know that my answer lies with the 16-45 .
But I don't see it in your signature, I just see the 18-135
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #3112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But I don't see it in your signature, I just see the 18-135
Exactly. Need something just a bit wider .

09-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3113
Pentaxian

I'm going to Target tomorrow. To see Pentax at the store- can't believe in that. There are K30 and K50 listed on Target site.
09-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #3114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm going to Target tomorrow. To see Pentax at the store- can't believe in that. There are K30 and K50 listed on Target site.
Sweet on the K-30
09-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #3115
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are K30 and K50 listed on Target site.
They have had Pentax in the past, but not for very long. K-30 you say?

Steve
09-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #3116
Pentaxian

There is no K-30 at Target any more, only K-50. The guy told that K-30 have been discontinued.

The camera is much better "in person" than online. What seems to be cheap colorful plastic on photos is solid weather proof body. I put memory card in the camera to test it and to check samples at home.
Same soft shutter release as on K200D (love it!) , live view is not bad, and burst mode seems faster than on my Canon SL1. Kit lens is not bad either.
But I want K-5
Too sad that it seems I can tell the salesperson more about Pentax than he could tell me.
09-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #3117
Veteran Member

There is no K-30 at Target any more, only K-50. The guy told that K-30 have been discontinued.

The camera is much better "in person" than online. What seems to be cheap colorful plastic on photos is solid weather proof body. I put memory card in the camera to test it and to check samples at home.
Same soft shutter release as on K200D (love it!) , live view is not bad, and burst mode seems faster than on my Canon SL1. Kit lens is not bad either.
But I want K-5
Too sad that it seems I can tell the salesperson more about Pentax than he could tell me.
I'm glad it's in a store. Nobody else that I'm aware of makes a weather-sealed camera for the K-50's price and I do think a lot of people like weather sealing. Pentax also offers so many more features than a D3300 or low end Canon at that price, it's a shame nobody knows that.

My K7 and K5 have both been soaked and seen a LOT of dust in Afghanistan and the western deserts of the U.S.

09-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #3118
Veteran Member

Is that you, the soldier that has demonstrated how good Pentax cameras are on YouTube? Pentax should sponsor you...

To be fair the K-30 when painted does feel very cheap to me... I didn't like it at all. Looks nice though.
09-05-2014, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #3119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Is that you, the soldier that has demonstrated how good Pentax cameras are on YouTube? Pentax should sponsor you...
That's Heie, he's very active here on the forum.
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #3120
Pentaxian

Algonquin Park by the road this after noon, Tess got to try out this guy's DA* 300 ƒ4, he's a former Canon shooter who finally saw the light.