Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #3211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
When I was taking a passport photo today, the camera man was holding a very familiar camera...and it's a Pentax! We ended up chatting for a while about FF vs. APSC and both agreed that APSC is sufficient (mostly judged by value). He is a professional who uses Pentax for a long time (there's a ME on his shelf). He enjoys the K-01 and Q as well, and has a plethora of lenses. He said that he would rather buy lens + body than buying a FF body with the same total price. He also noticed that his friends who use Canikon don't go out to shoot as often - they talk about gear all the time.

I guess we aren't so rare at all!

You know, this is very interesting. There really is a LOT to know about the technology. These DSLR's are WAY more complicated than the Spotmatic I learned on many years ago. Od course they do way more than the Spotmatic so we really do need to stay informed about what is possible and how new stuff works. The Pentax Forum provides us with all the info and answers that could need.

However, I also want to further my skills as a photographer and I need to dig deeper into the Forum to see if there is as much focused information about technique as there is about technology... Any suggestions for threads?

Thanks, Bob

11-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #3212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love the rareness...it's always nice to remember that the 645 medium format is the probably the best camera in the world....(that's a really rare club) just in case your pesty canonikonian gets too loud.......just broke my heart today when my best Pentaxian compatriot informed me he is eyeing the Nikon 750.....
11-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #3213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenixvision Quote
just broke my heart today when my best Pentaxian compatriot informed me he is eyeing the Nikon 750
it's sad but if Pentax doesn't sell FF soon, other Pentaxian might look for CaNikon solution, or even Sony Alpha
11-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #3214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I've posted two photos on this forum of people that I have spotted using a Pentax in random cities (in France and Spain). But nobody ever commented on those photos, so I guess they are not on this forum. This shows that even people who are not die hard Pentaxians buy into the system

11-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #3215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not recall every seeing another Pentax camera in the wild.
11-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #3216
Veteran Member

New boy moved into the office from another department, his PC wallpaper was a cracking shot he took in Paris and I commented on it. Got chatting about photography and got round to the "so what gear have you got" question. He said he had some Canon DSLR, and obviously the look on my face said "Oh another Canon user". His next words were "So I suppose you use Nikon?", and when I responded that I had Pentax gear he sort of looked puzzled as if to say "who are they". After a couple of seconds there was a spark and the response "Oh yea, I've got a mate who has a Pentax I think, some strange number model but the images are pretty good...."
11-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #3217
Pentaxian

My cousin ( who was using a canon eos film camera and a Sony point and shoot) took me to some scenic places in Arkansas. We met two people with cameras on tripods, one was a Lady with a Nikon and the other person had a Canon. Both ask me what camera I was using and I told them it was a pentax K3.
Their reactions were nice but I could tell that "Pentax K3" hit a blank. Lol I could tell that their minds were 'hunting' and they had no reference to go by. They didn't even say that they had heard of it or anything. I think they were more interested that my cousin was shooting film. But I think we had more fun😉

11-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #3218
Veteran Member

went in a target last week, hoping to find a K50 on the shelf since target seems to sell them now.... but alas there was no pentax to be found.

Also the weather was nice over the weekend so I went to the botanical garden for some picture- there were a number of canon and nikon users there, but no pentax.

alas my search for a pentax in the wild persists
11-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #3219
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
While he hasn't joined the forum (yet), I've brought one more into the world of Pentax. The son of my ex-wife's sister. I've stayed in touch with some of them over the years, and when she saw the pictures I'd been posting on FB, she had him send me a friend request, as he had been interested in buying his first camera. While I did explain how happy I was with my K-50, I was sure to talk a lot about the other two brands, as well as make sure he couldn't just be happy with an advanced P&S. The last thing I wanted was for him to feel like he made a bad call, well, for some of the reasons documented in this thread. He caught an Adorama deal on a K-50 body about a month ago ((think he paid $396.99). I told him to get the extended warranty, which he did (wish there had been somebody at the camera shop where I purchased mine, to have told me that...) I've loaned him my kit 18-55, and a DA 50 -- and he's having a lot of fun learning. And like myself, he couldn't give two sh*ts about what other people thought -- so long as the camera was reliable, and could get the job done. The price was great for him, as he's a 21 years old student, and doesn't have a well-paying job yet.
11-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #3220
Inactive Account

lol I went to the photography show at the NEC Birmingham last march and although I hung round all day mine was the only pentax I saw that wasnt for sale.
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #3221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at the Blackheath Rhododendron Festival over the weekend,
four (yes 4) Pentax cameras, not including my own.

Certainly not a majority, but a great show for a small festival.
11-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #3222
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I was at the Blackheath Rhododendron Festival over the weekend,
four (yes 4) Pentax cameras, not including my own.

Certainly not a majority, but a great show for a small festival.
I don't think I've ever seen that many Pentax shooters in one place!
11-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #3223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't think I've ever seen that many Pentax shooters in one place!
The national parks are other places to see them. I saw a few around the grand canyon south rim at the same time. I even saw someone posting pictures on PF from the same time when I went there.
11-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #3224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
it's sad but if Pentax doesn't sell FF soon, other Pentaxian might look for CaNikon solution, or even Sony Alpha
This has been happening for years. It hasn't resulted in a mass exodus of users five years ago and it won't in the near future.

I'm also active on the largest German DSLR forum and they have a very active section called 'Kaufberatung' (= gear advice) where newbies and more experienced shooters alike can fill in a questionnaire about their photographic preferences, budget etc. and write down a couple of thoughts and other users then give their advice on which gear to get. A fair share of these threads result in the TO ending up with a Pentax, so I guess for everyone who leaves the Pentax system for another FF system at least two newbies get started with Pentax
11-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #3225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
A fair share of these threads result in the TO ending up with a Pentax
I don't doubt it at all, I'm a newbie and end up with Pentax myself ! and I think Pentaxians are mostly :
1- Old Pentax users with legendary lens
2- Geeks who don't want to fall into Canikony category, they know what they want and did a lot of researches
3- New users who want high quality/budget