Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #3541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
34 is zoo weather? Wow.
Yeah, you'll find those animals who just sleep out the summer day are up and active when it's cool. I remember one night in Cincinnati (the Zoo's winterfest) we were waiting for some friends and it was about 25 degrees. We heard movement behind us and in that cold dark the red pandas were in their element, just frolicking in the trees. Unfortunately this was back in the film days and I wouldn't bother to bring a camera.

01-21-2015, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #3542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, you'll find those animals who just sleep out the summer day are up and active when it's cool. I remember one night in Cincinnati (the Zoo's winterfest) we were waiting for some friends and it was about 25 degrees. We heard movement behind us and in that cold dark the red pandas were in their element, just frolicking in the trees. Unfortunately this was back in the film days and I wouldn't bother to bring a camera.
And here I am, just asking myself - 34 and 25 WHAT?
01-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #3543
Veteran Member

I know what you mean, 25 is great and 34 is almost too much here....
01-21-2015, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #3544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I keep having to google conversions. Oh, the beauty of the metric system ...

01-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #3545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yeah, I know. 25F. Great weather for the DSLR. Too cold, and the battery doesn't behave.
01-22-2015, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #3546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, I know. 25F. Great weather for the DSLR. Too cold, and the battery doesn't behave.
-4 C, you are lucky having this nice and warm weather...
01-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #3547
Pentaxian

When the weather gets to about 10 hear (-12 celsius) my DA*60-250 AF doesn't work anymore if I have the 1.4 TC on it. It can be irritating. IN this case, it's just better to get out the A-400 for and use a lens that's made to be manually focused.

01-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #3548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, rope walking like a little too niche to me...
'Slackline' is a very big deal under 30.
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Hate to burst your bubble but those guys in the video are definitely real, hard core climbers. From my days in the distant mists of time as a serious climber, it looks totally real for some guys out practicing their skills and having a good time. Most every high-end rock climber has spent practice time in ratty jeans (have you every seen the climbers' camp in Yosemite Valley?) and walking a slack line is one of the training activities that every climbing school recommends. Usually it is done a couple of feet off the ground so falls are not a problem but it definitely builds balance and feel for the real thing. Actually, the skills those guys were displaying were pretty darned impressive. And the photography was pretty good as well.

Now, if that video makes for good advertising to the general masses, that is a different story. I was impressed but I have a different viewpoint. I know how hard that was. Mom or pop looking for a camera to photograph the kids might not see it that way.
No one drives a sports car the way they show them in commercials either, but 60-year-old guys are buying Corvette Z06's and 911's as fast as they can make them. Just try getting your hands on a Subaru BRZ or some tuner drift whip.
01-24-2015, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #3549

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
So while all the canikon fanboys are out spending loads of $$$ on new lenses, I'll still be haunting yard sales and pawn shops to pick up 30 year old Pentax lenses for usually under $50 that still work on DSLR...can't beat it with a stick...
Alternatively, while people are out shooting, we'll be out haunting yard sales and pawn shops .

I recently became a 2-system photographer. I'm still not using Canon or Nikon kit.
01-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #3550
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Today was our belated Christmas Party... A friend just bought a T5 .......

Guess what happened next?
01-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #3551
Pentaxian

He dropped it and it broke?
HIs pants fell down?
His boss phoned and fired him? Then said "Merry belated Christmas.

I give up .... what?
01-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #3552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
He dropped it and it broke?
HIs pants fell down?
His boss phoned and fired him? Then said "Merry belated Christmas.

I give up .... what?
I know more then he does... After he told me he was going to buy k50 or the k5ii(s)

(to be continued)
01-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #3553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I know more then he does... After he told me he was going to buy k50 or the k5ii(s)

(to be continued)
You tease, just like a TV series!
01-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #3554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You tease, just like a TV series!
His wife is happy....

The end
01-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #3555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over the Christmas break, I had the good fortune to spend a week each in Vietnam and Cambodia. We did all the usual tourist haunts in Saigon, Hanoi, Siem Reap ( Angkor Watt) and Phnom Penh. We visited endless temples, and museums, did tours with other people and by ourselves, we fit a lot in to every day.

Being a camera type person, naturally I paid attention to what was being used.

I saw oceans of smart phones and tablets, quite a few nice Nikons, with serious lenses, one top end Canon (5d II I think) with a 70-200 L series lens attached. Vast swarms of El Cheapo Canons with their lens hoods on backwards ( if they had them at all) and most with the on board flash popped up, to expose subjects tens to hundreds of meters away ( I tried to tell them, but it was casting seed on to barren ground)

And 6 Pentax cameras.

I did a three day expedition to the temples around Siem Reap with a local pro. His first question to me was 'Why Pentax?' After we got over the discussion of various pro's and con's, he commented that it would be a lonely job trying to spot another Pentax. So it became a standing joke over those three days, with me pointing out a Pentax every time I saw one, and he conceding that there were more around then he had thought.

I saw three k7/k5/k3 bodies (hard to tell the difference from a distance) a couple of k50/k300 type bodies, and one which I think was a k20 or k200. Needless to say all the Pentax users had their lens hoods on and the right way around. None had the flash popped up. Does this mean Pentaxians are a smidge more knowledgable and discerning than the hordes of Canonistas?

I like to think so.

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-08-2015 at 01:17 AM.