Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #3556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Does this mean Pentaxians are a smidge more knowledgable and discerning than the hordes on Canonistas?
Do you need to ask?

01-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #3557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Do you need to ask?
The question may have had more than a touch of the rhetorical about it.....
01-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #3558
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should have been able to identify Pentaxians even without seeing their camera, WizofOz - more congenial, better educated, physically more attractive ...
01-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #3559

Its the same for me... Im the only one with a Pentax K30... when people ask me what camera I use they always look like they never heard something like that.

01-27-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #3560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You should have been able to identify Pentaxians even without seeing their camera, WizofOz - more congenial, better educated, physically more attractive ...
Well, yes, clackers, but if I spend all my time staring into the mirror, I get less opportunity to photograph.
01-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #3561

I am the only one out of my band of photographers to own a Pentax. I am pretty proud of it too.
01-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #3562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Needless to say all the Pentax users had their lens hoods on and the right way around. None had the flash popped up. Does this mean Pentaxians are a smidge more knowledgable and discerning than the hordes on Canonistas?

I like to think so.
Canon does not provide lens hoods on cheaper lenses, and most people will not bother to buy them.

01-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #3563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Canon does not provide lens hoods on cheaper lenses, and most people will not bother to buy them.
Neither does Pentax. But it doesn't explain why people who do own a lens hood have it put on the wrong way around while taking pictures.
01-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #3564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Neither does Pentax. But it doesn't explain why people who do own a lens hood have it put on the wrong way around while taking pictures.
Weird. I think all my Pentax lenses came with a hood. But some people don't bother to put them on on overcast days or whatever, and just leave them on backward. I leave them on forward in my bag...
01-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #3565
Veteran Member

Weird. I think all my Pentax lenses came with a hood. But some people don't bother to put them on on overcast days or whatever, and just leave them on backward. I leave them on forward in my bag...
I hate hood to be honest because many make the lense huge. On zooms with some range they are nearly useless except for the shortest focal length. On FF lense used on APSC, they are not as efficiant as they could be.

I can then really understand why many don't really use them, but I would not even take the hood with me if I were them.

I know saying that would make everybody shoot as me and reconsider the picture I already posted that were looking as obviously lacking contrast or whatever.

Well that also why I love the limited. They have the best hood: they are always here, don't really consume that much space.

But to me anyway the hood thing is overlooked by many. It does count on some situations, that's true but it really depend of the lense too.
01-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #3566
Veteran Member

The DA L 18-55 kit doesn't ship with a lens, neither do the DA 50 f/1.8 or DA 35 f/2.4. I assume it's the same DA L 50-200 kit. And as the majority of DSLR users on this planet only shoot with their kit lens anyway, I think most of them won't have any lens hoods.
01-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #3567

Pentax Marketing - Is Ignorance Thriving and Killing Sales?

With virtually zero marketing effort in the north American base for plural decades, it is of little surprise that the beating of the Pentax brand drum comes almost exclusively from end users. One notable and nearly extinct exception, was that of the 645Z Launch video that was produced by Ricoh/Pentax several months ago. I'm sure most of you saw it. It was set up as sort of a speed dating scenario in a NY studio loft, permitting a handful of known commercial/professional shooters, volleys using some 645Z's to their specific targets of commerce.

Brian Mcintosh starts the intro.

That was neat. That was also the end of it. Some additional marketing vids were shot as a follow on to this Richo sponsored event.

Alex Munoz's later Ricoh directed spot, was also present at the NY 645Z Launch soirée.

A single promotion with a smattering of post launch support of a single product will not change that other stronger and louder beating, market killing drum of perception, of "old Pentax".

Case in point, while not a sports shooter myself, I have long admired the work of David Black (Home | Dave BlackDave Black | Photographer, Educator, Author)
Just your average gent who has covered 12 olympics, his body of work speaks for itself.

Alerted he would be speaking on a show from the Kelby One stables, "The Grid", I tuned in.

The live and recorded show included Dave, the host (RC), and of interesting note, one, Erik Valind.

The Grid: 10 Realities of Professional Photography – Episode 177 | The Grid

The topics of conversation were centered near "10 Realities Of Professional Photography", with perspectives from Dave (the acknowledged successful veteran), and the less so experienced, striving to become more successful, Erik.

On the whole, the general contributions to the topic are good, with little surprise, it is clear why Dave is a pro among pro's. Outstanding work ethic.

Pay particular interest to Erik's contribution near mark 48.34 of the discussion.

Surprised? You shouldn't be.

I think it might be appropriate for north American Pentax (Brian Mcintosh - Director of Marketing), to possibly reach out to Erik, and, if nothing else, let him test drive a 645Z. Erik, as a portrait/model/clothing shooter, might possibly have an "old Pentax", profound awakening, or not.

Perhaps Erik's future contributions discussing his understanding, direction and approach to photography, will be better informed, and not at the expense of Ricoh/Pentax and future/new potential Pentax system customers.

Cheers,

RM-
01-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #3568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Do you need to ask?
Nope

---------- Post added 01-30-15 at 09:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AnnaL9 Quote
Its the same for me... Im the only one with a Pentax K30... when people ask me what camera I use they always look like they never heard something like that.
Or see what the camera can do....
01-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #3569

We, Pentax shooters, a quality bunch not a quantity bunch

Cheers,

Jack
02-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #3570

If you think Pentax is rare try using a Pentax camera with a Samsung logo attached to it ( I have the Samsung GX-20 ). I usually have to examplain that I am a K-mount guy to other Pentaxians who usually never have heard of my camera. Once at work I had a conversation about photography with a man who had been using Canon for 30+ yearas. He got almost shocked/offended by my choice of camera. Fanboys are just sad when they take their brand and "life style" to an almost religious level and try convert/preach for everyone else.