Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #3571

One of the guys at my camera club who fancies himself a professional photographer and uses only Canon and Nikon gear actually turned his nose up at even handling my Pentax K5iis. He offered a snobbish remark, not important enough for me to even recall what it was. Just generally rude and demeaning attitude because I dared to speak to him about my lowly K5iis.

02-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #3572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a great number of people who are lazy enough to think that what they have is the best for what they do, because someone else says it is the best for what that other person does. Which if these folks were to actually be capable of verbalizing their feelings, would lead to an obvious epiphany. The fact that NASA uses the hubble telescope to take pictures of the universe, does not make it the best camera for taking images of wildlife. The fact that they haven't come to this epiphany would suggest they aren't intellectually capable of verbalizing their own assumptions and feelings.

Or to put ti another way...
It doesn't matter what you say, it's beyond their comprehension.

But I understand where they are coming from... if it does what you want it to do, and you don't have to think about anything... it doesn't matter about anything else, right?

In trying to hand him your camera you are trying to defeat one of his objectives... not having to think about it. IN his mind you're an agitator, rabble rouser, transgressor of all known laws of camera acquisition.

I mean seriously, would you change you camera universe , debasing everything you know about cameras, just cause some dude wants you to try out his non-conforming hardware. Let's not even call it a camera. We don't know what it is, but cameras are all Canons.

You need to be careful, from his perspective, some form of retaliation may be in order.

Especially since being excommunicated from the church of Canon could possibly be an out come.

You're playing god with someone else's universe.
02-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #3573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are a great number of people who are lazy enough to think that what they have is the best for what they do, because someone else says it is the best for what that other person does.

[...]

In trying to hand him your camera you are trying to defeat one of his objectives... not having to think about it. IN his mind you're an agitator, rabble rouser, transgressor of all known laws of camera acquisition.
To be honest, it's not too different with this forum. Loads of people who think Pentax is the only manufacturer of quality APS-C cameras and everything Canon and Nikon are making that has four to two digits is plastic rubbish and not to be trusted. Oh, and every beginner buying a Nikon or Canon does so because they're brainwashed by CaNikon's global hegemony and they simply don't know about Pentax ...

It works both ways, you know?

Though I've yet to encounter a Pentax user in real life who is looking down on CaNikon users, it's the same way around - I've never actually personally met someone who looked down on my Pentax.
02-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #3574
Pentaxian

Sometimes I just go hog wild and post my flower captures on Facebook for family and friends back in the States ... usually say that it's the K-5 with "x" lens, "y" aperture and "z" shutter speed. I know very photo geek.

I seem to get a lot of "likes" ... and no one has yet told that I should shoot Canikon or Sonifugy ... go figure.

02-02-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #3575
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
To be honest, it's not too different with this forum. Loads of people who think Pentax is the only manufacturer of quality APS-C cameras and everything Canon and Nikon are making that has four to two digits is plastic rubbish and not to be trusted. Oh, and every beginner buying a Nikon or Canon does so because they're brainwashed by CaNikon's global hegemony and they simply don't know about Pentax ...
This. And it only happens with Pentaxians.
Every now and then, I see a post along the lines of:

Guy with Pentax is somewhere
Other Photographer sees Guy's Pentax
Photographer shows interest / is indifferent / mocks Pentax / doesn't care
Guy tells about SR
Guy tells about WR
Guy tells about K mount
Guy posts on PF about occurance
Responses are about converting infidels, sheeple, dumb consumers and Canikon brainwashing
02-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #3576
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
This. And it only happens with Pentaxians.
Every now and then, I see a post along the lines of:

Guy with Pentax is somewhere
Other Photographer sees Guy's Pentax
Guy tells about SR
Guy tells about WR
Guy tells about K mount
Guy posts on PF about occurance
Responses are about converting infidels, sheeple, dumb consumers and Canikon brainwashing
Pentax owners equals aggrieved minority, Giklab?
02-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #3577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We should start a forum where we can commiserate...

02-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #3578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Didn't say that
Just that I haven't seen this happen regularly on other brands' forums.
I suspect there's a minority within the minority
02-02-2015, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #3579
Veteran Member

When I'm out and about in strange lands, I put a Canon strap on my K-3 so that no-one will steal it.
02-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #3580
Veteran Member

It works both ways, you know?

Though I've yet to encounter a Pentax user in real life who is looking down on CaNikon users, it's the same way around - I've never actually personally met someone who looked down on my Pentax.
Last sunday, I meet a guy that while I was photographing tags with my tripod. He was thinking I was a pro and asked what I had. He didn't know really so I gave him it in his hand. He didn't say anything bad.

He had a bridge, and was saying he wanting something else (and small). I said he could look for advanced compact camera that came with high quality picture nowadays that it would be very small but unfortunately would not cover the same zoom range as his bridge. I concluded that the main thing was to choose something that please him, that all camera are good nowadays anyway ! He responded that was the problem: not easy to choose !

I really think this is just childish to criticize somebody because he doesn't have the right brand/model of camera/car/phone/watche/whatever.

On the other side, I never saw anybody saying bad words of my camera.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-02-2015 at 05:17 PM.
02-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #3581
osv
Veteran Member

To be honest, it's not too different with this forum. Loads of people who think Pentax is the only manufacturer of quality APS-C cameras and everything Canon and Nikon are making that has four to two digits is plastic rubbish and not to be trusted.
wait, don't forget to include sony going out of business, and mirrorless *.* as well
02-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #3582
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
wait, don't forget to include sony going out of business, and mirrorless *.* as well
Only in Canada.... Last time I checked
02-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #3583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
When I'm out and about in strange lands, I put a Canon strap on my K-3 so that no-one will steal it.
I put a Pentax strap on my Canon for awhile until I got an Ape Case strap. It's fun watching people's eyes.
02-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #3584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I put a Pentax strap on my Canon for awhile until I got an Ape Case strap. It's fun watching people's eyes.
Ape case?
02-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #3585
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Ape case?
Ape Case - Camera Cases and Accessories | AC00236 Neoprene Camera Strap