Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #3676
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
When my parents want to use my camera and equipment for their next vacation...... They own a Nikon...... I said no

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

You denied them your Pentax? That's like withholding a life preserver from a swimmer in trouble, Pepe ... morally reprehensible!

03-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #3677
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You denied them your Pentax? That's like withholding a life preserver from a swimmer in trouble, Pepe ... morally reprehensible!

My mother told me that Pentax was crap.....
03-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #3678
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
If they all jump into the abyss of overpriced products, do we all have to do that? I don't find Nikon or Canon any better than Pentax, and I didn't have to sell my kidney to buy mine....let them jump.
03-31-2015, 10:27 PM   #3679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
If they all jump into the abyss of overpriced products, do we all have to do that? I don't find Nikon or Canon any better than Pentax, and I didn't have to sell my kidney to buy mine....let them jump.
I hear ya :

04-01-2015, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #3680
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
My mother told me that Pentax was crap.....
Just remind her to be nice - one day you're choosing her aged care accommodation!
04-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #3681
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But then I stopped myself and thought about it for a moment, and then I told her to do this instead: to make a shortlist of cameras in her price range from all the different manufacturers, then to go on Flickr and look at lots of different photos taken by those exact cameras. I told her to buy the camera that produces photographs that most closely match the way she sees things in her mind's eye.
That's the advice I would give for photographers interested in getting a new lens, but for cameras, I think I would adopt a different approach. It's a good idea to try to help people buy the camera that best fits their need, which may or may not be Pentax. It's also very difficult for people just starting out to know what sort of camera that will best fit their needs. But you can fill people in on the strengths and weaknesses of each brand. I would contend that Pentax makes better entry level cameras than Canikon (this has long been true), tends to make better APS-C lenses, and makes a better "field" APS-C DSLR, better ergonomics, more WR options at better prices, IBIS, star tracking via GPS unit, etc. Canikon makes better sports cameras, better "system" cameras, better FF stuff with a lot more choices, better flash system, more specialty lenses, etc. With cameras, I suspect it's best to just give people more information from which to make a decision. You simply don't want them to make Canikon the default choice, when they may in fact be better off with Pentax.
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #3682
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That's the advice I would give for photographers interested in getting a new lens, but for cameras, I think I would adopt a different approach. It's a good idea to try to help people buy the camera that best fits their need, which may or may not be Pentax. It's also very difficult for people just starting out to know what sort of camera that will best fit their needs. But you can fill people in on the strengths and weaknesses of each brand. I would contend that Pentax makes better entry level cameras than Canikon (this has long been true), tends to make better APS-C lenses, and makes a better "field" APS-C DSLR, better ergonomics, more WR options at better prices, IBIS, star tracking via GPS unit, etc. Canikon makes better sports cameras, better "system" cameras, better FF stuff with a lot more choices, better flash system, more specialty lenses, etc. With cameras, I suspect it's best to just give people more information from which to make a decision. You simply don't want them to make Canikon the default choice, when they may in fact be better off with Pentax.

I think in general you're right. I should have been clearer that in this case we're talking about a talented amateur illustrator and cartoonist, so what mattered most was knowing that she was getting a camera with the potential to deliver the look she wants. And I firmly believe that there's a Pentax look, Canon look, Nikon look etc that people with a natural eye for colour and light can distinguish. Yes, very heavy post processing can hide it, but most of the time it's there.

(EDIT: None of this is in any way a criticism of Pentax. Pentax cameras, and particularly my treasured Takumars, give me exactly the look I want personally.)

04-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #3683
Veteran Member

And I firmly believe that there's a Pentax look, Canon look, Nikon look etc that people with a natural eye for colour and light can distinguish.
I firmly believe that this is not the case - many people with very well trained eyes even fail to detect that super special 'Leica look'. There are definitely manufacturer specific differences in JPEG engines, but when editing a RAW pretty much any desired look can be achieved and there are no noticeable differences in 'looks'.
04-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #3684
Veteran Member

I think in general you're right. I should have been clearer that in this case we're talking about a talented amateur illustrator and cartoonist, so what mattered most was knowing that she was getting a camera with the potential to deliver the look she wants. And I firmly believe that there's a Pentax look, Canon look, Nikon look etc that people with a natural eye for colour and light can distinguish. Yes, very heavy post processing can hide it, but most of the time it's there.
If I want the Canon 5D rendering I just choose the option in my derawtizer... If I prefer the D810, I just select this rendering instead. Job done. There dozens of profiles available.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-01-2015 at 02:49 PM.
04-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #3685
Veteran Member

Just remind her to be nice - one day you're choosing her aged care accommodation!
Being nice?

She considers Bush jr as the best President America has had...

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 11:39 PM ----------

I have been nice....

My mother misses the 60s
.... You know segregation, cheap gass, blah blah,

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 04-01-2015 at 08:40 PM.
04-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3686
Veteran Member

I have a 18-55, they have the same thing. I have the nifty 50, same thing. (never uses it) I have the 55-300 WR, they have 18-108 or something like that. I have the HD 70 mm, they got nothing.

My Father did want to buy a k-5...... Then he got sucker'd, like my brother, into buying a D90.....
04-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #3687

I live in NY and work in Manhattan, rarely see Pentax shooters walking around!
I own a full canon kit with "L" lenses.... but I think i'd sell all of them before my 2 K-01's with 35 and 15 limiteds!
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #3688
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pdirestajr Quote
my 2 K-01's with 35 and 15 limiteds!
Pretty good street setup ... right there. Cheap too, other than the 15.
04-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #3689

Photos: Gallery
By definition, a two percent market share makes Pentax “rare.” The good news is that Pentax owners often times get a lot more for their money.
It will be interesting to see if the upcoming full frame offers more for the money, or is priced to take advantage of the pent-up (pun intended) demand. If Pentax remains true to photo-enthusiasts, the FF will give more for the money than similar performing offerings from Canikon.
04-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #3690
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
By definition, a two percent market share makes Pentax “rare.” The good news is that Pentax owners often times get a lot more for their money.
It will be interesting to see if the upcoming full frame offers more for the money, or is priced to take advantage of the pent-up (pun intended) demand. If Pentax remains true to photo-enthusiasts, the FF will give more for the money than similar performing offerings from Canikon.
I'm hoping for an electronic K-1000 complete with the manual controls and needle matching exposure and 51 MP sensor. They can keep the AF. But that's not going to happen is it?