Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #3781
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
My observation is that many people get sold a camera that is far in excess of their skill level, or understanding level, by salespeople who can use the magic words Canon or Nikon. It is lazy but presumaably profitable for the salesperson. Many of these people never understand the capabilities and restrictions of their equipment. That is neither good nor bad, it just is, and i guess it is the mainstay of the retail camera businesss these days.
I think that's also true for car, cell phones, dishwasher or even a vacumm cleaner. Hey even frying pans.

But I'am not sure this is only the buyer fault. Schools don't teach childs to be pragmatic and have a critic view of what other try to enlist them to do or buy. The seller don't say it or even hide it. For the course if she didn't have the right level, then the company providing it should have redirected her.

Also, ultimately, if the girl really use her flashes she will learn the hard way that the wireless triggering through the OBF is not always perfect.

But for me it is by far not that Canikon user are worse, it is just that we so few we don't get many opportunity to discuss with other Pentaxians anyway.

Ultimately this is not with a course you'll learn, you need like more at least a dozen and to practice a lot by yourself... just to get the basics.

05-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #3782
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Schools don't teach childs to be pragmatic and have a critic view of what other try to enlist them to do or buy
As a teacher for 30 years I can say that schools actually reward the opposite - don't question, don't argue, accept what we the school (the system) are telling you, be gullible and compliant. Schools punish and or sanction the students who show tendencies to criticise or question. They force these types of students out of school and into the workforce or the unemployment queue as soon as possible as disruptive. Don't look at schools to teach this behaviour - the school of hard knocks (generally negative experiences as we go through life) is a better teacher of these values.
05-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #3783
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
As a teacher for 30 years I can say that schools actually reward the opposite - don't question, don't argue, accept what we the school (the system) are telling you, be gullible and compliant. Schools punish and or sanction the students who show tendencies to criticise or question. They force these types of students out of school and into the workforce or the unemployment queue as soon as possible as disruptive. Don't look at schools to teach this behaviour - the school of hard knocks (generally negative experiences as we go through life) is a better teacher of these values.

My high school was unusual - it did a reasonable amount of encouraging of us to be different and distinctive.

Former students have had unusual exploits in life because of this character they built up.

I think the critical factor is that the teachers must be completely confident to allow their students to explore beyond the confines of the curriculum rather than to try to hold them inside some figurative fence.
05-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #3784
Pentaxian

The tendency over the last five years is to reward schools who have good performance data as provided by standardised tests.

This has a wash back effect where students are rewarded for good performance on narrower curriculums. The days of a liberal questing explorative education as experienced by a large part of the demographic utilising this forum are sadly over.

05-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #3785
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'm not sure it's an issue of buying too much camera for what they are doing. The real problem is that DSLR cameras nowadays are too complex for (1) people just starting out, and (2) for people who are just not tech savvy and struggle with any complex device. What makes all this worse is that many of these people don't comprehend the extent of their ignorance and how it can impact what they are trying to accomplish with their cameras. The biggest problem I run into is photographers who don't understand how their camera's AF system work. Most DSLRs seem to have, as their default, auto-selection of focus points. Many photographers starting out struggle to get sharp shots because they are unwittingly using the default AF system of the camera, which is not reliable.
Having switched from totally manual K1000 to an Olympus non interchangeable lens dslr that was never taken off of auto (had no idea how to use a digital camera even a simple one) to the K3 I agree.... I was not tech savvy, didn't have the access to a good computer, didn't understand SD cards, had no idea what the functions were on the Olympus...LOL, the icon of the running guy, the flower icon, or sunny icon... on the dial. Also had no one to explain how to use the camera in the 'manual' setting. I could of done more and learned some basics so that it would of been a little easier to learn a more complex dslr, but oh the ignorance... my brain was like..????. Yip that was me.
05-20-2015, 04:12 AM   #3786
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
The tendency over the last five years is to reward schools who have good performance data as provided by standardised tests.

This has a wash back effect where students are rewarded for good performance on narrower curriculums. The days of a liberal questing explorative education as experienced by a large part of the demographic utilising this forum are sadly over.

I agree, sadly, my current students just want to know the answer to pass. I want to teach them too think so that they can become leaders in their field, not just detail workers doing tasks as directed.
05-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #3787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I agree, sadly, my current students just want to know the answer to pass. I want to teach them too think so that they can become leaders in their field, not just detail workers doing tasks as directed.
For our internships we expect the students to do some research, study the state of the art for a month or 2, take time to think and come with some funny, innovative ideas. That really an opportunity we offer because well as an intern you don't have to produce anything that is ready to sell or for clients. Only after this step the intern can implement one the crazy idea he got and present it to the company. From time to time the crazy idea is the root of a new product with real value. There lot of work to do then to transform it into sellable thing but that's no issue and neither even primary objective.

We want to assess the intern is able to think well and work well to see if it is a worthwhile hire or not. We also try to teach some spirit of innovation and to share our experience.

Our latest intern has big difficulties with that, he doesn't show any spirit for trying to think out of the box. He is only able to repeat what we say him... And even, most of it is lost in translation...

05-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #3788
Pentaxian

Your observations are very much like my own.

I find it so sad that their view of the world has been reduced to what they can get out of it rather than how they can participate in doing things in life.
05-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #3789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PBS inadvertently features Pentax!!!

This evening on PBS News Hour I watched a feature on the effect the California Drought is having on Yosemite National Park. One element is the likely miss this year of the Moon-bow seen a few times each summer at Yosemite Falls (to watch tonight click the link, click 'Rundown' and scroll the Broadcast Reports segments to 'Photographers Chase Yosemite's Rare Moonlight Rainbows' @3:48). It is thought this year the falls will cease flowing in JUNE - so there won't be a moon-bow.

The feature filmed a landscape photography class trekking into a special area of the Park from which the Moon-bow can bee seen in the mist from the falls at the full moons in late May and late June, but this year there isn't enough mist to create the refraction.

When illustrating this lack the videographer shot a closeup of the Reporter's LCD screen and what did it inadvertently show?

PENTAX!!

It was a K-5II or IISs
05-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #3790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It was a K-5II or IISs
Actually it looks like a K10D or K20D to me... either way that's awesome!

The direct link: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/photographers-chase-yosemites-rare-moonlight-rainbows/
05-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #3791
Pentaxian

There is a K10D or K20D at about 1:14. That Pentax at 3:48 looks very much like my K20D, but maybe with a smaller screen, so it may be a K10D.
05-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #3792
Pentaxian

@deus ursus = square root of 0.5
05-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #3793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Actually it looks like a K10D or K20D to me... either way that's awesome!
Yep - got mine out and stopped the video -
05-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #3794
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Yes !!!

And, "to add injury to insult", I've had more than one non-Pentax shooter remark to me (and my Pentax gear) with something like "Oh, I think my father [etc.] used to have a Pentax camera."

:-(
05-22-2015, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #3795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Yes !!!

And, "to add injury to insult", I've had more than one non-Pentax shooter remark to me (and my Pentax gear) with something like "Oh, I think my father [etc.] used to have a Pentax camera."

:-(
Or for guys my age... we hear, "oh ya, my first camera was a Pentax." Of the remaining camera companies, Pentax has probably done a worse job of capitalizing on brand loyalty than anyone else. And most of the ones who were worse, are out of business.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2015 at 09:04 AM.