Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #3811

I have huge shoulder used HDV videocam. It is great for one thing. It opens doors. See some happening, take it on your shoulder, tripod on your hand and ask if it possible to get on rooftop near by and there you can put GH-3 on tripod and take the video.

And everyoone asks which network I shoot.

05-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #3812
Veteran Member

Was thinking of making a thread for this but i instead figured i would post it here. I think pentax has an opportunity to capitalize on the relative lack of bold innovation on the side of canon/nikon, and if they focused on this - innovations that the average photographer can benefit from instead of hipster things that relatively few will use than i think they might win over some canon/nikon shooters. All that we've been seeing from canon/nikon is more megapixels, etc and while i love canon/nikon to death i think that they should really start doing more cool things

So here goes, my pentax concept camera.. Well atleast the spec sheet of it anyway... Something like this..
  • Back lit Full frame sensor. 32 Megapixels. Instead of focusing on making iso 6400 look better, i want to see an advantage at iso's that people actually use like 1600.
  • Fully mirror less, but with dslr ruggedness. Dont tell me this is impossible. The NX1 did it!
  • Professional cameras like the red let you put more than one battary because they need to be used for extended periods of time. This I feel is a large part of why comnsumer level cameras arent taken very seriously for video although yes, i know that the mk2 was used in captain america i believe. Anyway, why not give us a camera where we can can put in say two batteries? Should be able to fit the length of the grip. Or atleast give us the ability to use dc power without any attachments.
  • High bitrate video (broadcast quality), stereo mic, as well as prof video features such as focus peaking, black levels, etc. 4K @ 30 fps and 1080 at 120 fps.
  • 10 fps burst rate.
  • Touchscreen w/ touch to focus.
  • Built in wi fi, gps, and nfc.
  • 100+ af points. Half cross type.
  • EVF
  • Tilting screen

So, yeah kind of a combo of the NX1 and high end ff camera! Granted, it looks like a lot of stuff, but ook at sony's first ff offering the rx1! That thing was freaking tiny! A ff camera doesnt have to be huge!
05-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #3813
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Was thinking of making a thread for this but i instead figured i would post it here. I think pentax has an opportunity to capitalize on the relative lack of bold innovation on the side of canon/nikon, and if they focused on this - innovations that the average photographer can benefit from instead of hipster things that relatively few will use than i think they might win over some canon/nikon shooters. All that we've been seeing from canon/nikon is more megapixels, etc and while i love canon/nikon to death i think that they should really start doing more cool things

So here goes, my pentax concept camera.. Well atleast the spec sheet of it anyway... Something like this..
  • Back lit Full frame sensor. 32 Megapixels. Instead of focusing on making iso 6400 look better, i want to see an advantage at iso's that people actually use like 1600.
  • Fully mirror less, but with dslr ruggedness. Dont tell me this is impossible. The NX1 did it!
  • Professional cameras like the red let you put more than one battary because they need to be used for extended periods of time. This I feel is a large part of why comnsumer level cameras arent taken very seriously for video although yes, i know that the mk2 was used in captain america i believe. Anyway, why not give us a camera where we can can put in say two batteries? Should be able to fit the length of the grip. Or atleast give us the ability to use dc power without any attachments.
  • High bitrate video (broadcast quality), stereo mic, as well as prof video features such as focus peaking, black levels, etc. 4K @ 30 fps and 1080 at 120 fps.
  • 10 fps burst rate.
  • Touchscreen w/ touch to focus.
  • Built in wi fi, gps, and nfc.
  • EVF
  • Tilting screen

So, yeah kind of a combo of the NX1 and high end ff camera! Granted, it looks like a lot of stuff, but ook at sony's first ff offering the rx1! That thing was freaking tiny! A ff camera doesnt have to be huge!
So basically an A7II with 4K video nd a few more gadgets (2 batteries, gps, tilting touchscreen)
05-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #3814
Veteran Member

Yeah more or less. If pentax could deliver what is basially the swiss army of photography, that would really put them on the map. The way i see, it there is alot of of innovative ground to cover simply when it comes to

Last edited by neostyles; 05-28-2015 at 12:02 AM.
05-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #3815
Veteran Member

Yeah more or less. If pentax could deliver what is basially the swiss army of photography, that would really put them on the map. The way i see, it there is alot of of innovative ground to cover simply when it comes to
Ok then but I think this may not be the proper thread to really discuss it. Here it is more people discussing there few pentax user rather than what Pentax camera should be or not. I think some threads already discuss your point in a way or another, you should be able to find one or if that's impossible to create a new one.
05-28-2015, 05:03 AM   #3816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
So basically an A7II with 4K video nd a few more gadgets (2 batteries, gps, tilting touchscreen)
With the battery grip attached, you can use 2 batteries (one in camera, one in grip. The K-7 already can do this)
05-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #3817
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Found out that another work colleague used to shoot Pentax back in the day. His was a film camera. Didn't catch what type it was. He has now jumped ship and shoots Canon. Don't think I can bring that one back into the fold...

Meanwhile, picked up new lens off ebay today, and the guy who sold it to me used to own a k-5, but moved onto a Ricoh fixed lens camera instead.

05-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #3818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We're visiting our son in Beaufort, SC. This morning we went to their "Farmer's Market," lots of locally grown produce and other goodies. Saw the usual multitude of cell phone shooters, but no DSLRs, other than my K5. Did see a guy shooting a Leica RF digital, I knew it was digital because he chimped the image. Heheheheh....
05-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #3819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A story from our recent travels. We were in a bus traveling to Giverny to see Monet's gardens; English-speaking tour, so folks are happy to be able to converse with native-tongue travelers. I am beside my daughter taking photos out the window both for myself and for a photo class I am now co-teaching. My wife strikes up a conversation with the older couple behind her. It turns out that one of that pair (like me) also is constantly shooting. The other spouse tries to engage me in the conversation by asking me, "So, what do you shoot? Nikon or Canon?" I replied jokingly, but I basically blasted the assumption that only Canikon are real cameras for real photographers.

That's the assumption that must be challenged and whittled away at. Whether or not we are rare, we are perceived to be rare.

With the possible exception of a what might have been a white Pentax camera body, I saw no one else using Pentax while we were in Europe.

And in the 13 people in the photo class, they are almost exclusively Nikon and Canon shooters, though I doubt that more than one of them has any good reason to be with those brands. The most experienced shooter has a Sony....
05-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #3820
Veteran Member

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
Do you mean with on-sensor PDAF? That could lead to some troubles/need some adjustments...
05-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #3821

In Canada land, we have A good spread of Pentax and Olympus locally. And the Pentax Market is much more fast and furious than the Nikon or Canon Market; The local camera chain can't keep Pentax stuff in stock, and used stock doesn't stay around very long. There was one of the good 300mm Pentax lenses for a grand, and I think it lasted in the store for less then 24 hours; Meanwhile, I know there's been that same high end Nikon body sitting there for the last four months.

Part of it is that one of the employees Is a big Oly. Fanboy, and the one Manager is a Pentax user. And with the K-50 being pretty much "The best deal on the market right now" They're moving a ton of stock.

The one Canon user I met though, ugh. "I think the K mount is terrible." He says as He threads an m42 lens onto his Canon...
05-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #3822
Veteran Member

Last week I went with my neighbor to our kids recital for the daycares in the area. I knew he was a photographer. But I didn't know what he shot and what brand.

In any case at the event he pull out a sony A77 with a nice 18-30ish f2.8 lens. I pulled out my K30, he said oh you have a pentax. Not in a disparaging way.

I asked you know about pentax. His comment was, good body, weather resistance, etc. Then continued to mention that his colleague at work has a pentax.

I was impressed. At this event there were only 4 people including me with dslrs. One pentax (me), two sonys, one lady with a camera I couldn't figure out the brand.

I didn't want to look like a creep staring to figure it out (this is because two weeks ago I got caught in the gym by a lady as I was trying to read a long text on her chest)
06-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #3823

I once saw a Japanese tourist using Q10 Evangelion 02 but thats it.

I have been attending NUHS photo hunt for last year, each being 300-400 people and so far:

Pentax: 0
Sony: 2
Panasonic: 0
Olympus: 0
Other *niche- brands: 0
-----
Leica: 3 + 4 film leicas
06-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #3824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
... I didn't want to look like a creep staring to figure it out (this is because two weeks ago I got caught in the gym by a lady as I was trying to read a long text on her chest)
IMHO, the long text was there for a reason ...
06-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #3825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Evangelion 02

A lot of people won't have a clue as to what this refers to.