Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #3841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Went to a photography course today. Instructor used a canon. He asked around to see who shot what. Out of a group of 10, 7 shot canon, 2 shot nikon, and I shot pentax. (He was asking specifically so he could gauge whether he could help people specifically with their cameras).

He joked that I was on my own. And I cheekily replied, "It's ok. I'm used to it."

To his credit, he said in front of everyone how Pentax made good cameras. Which was nice to hear.
In a sense, I don't get it... Is the guy only giving advices on how to configure the camera? And then could he get it's way through the menus fast even if he don't master it?

06-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #3842
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry. My fault for not explaining properly. There were a lot of novices there. He spent some time explaining to people how to change their iso/white balance settings with people one on one during the day and i think he was trying to gauge what hurdles he might face.

I never asked for assistance in that regard (course was about something else). His comment abt pentax was more in general about the brand. Does that help?
06-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #3843
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mazinger Quote
Just got a copy of Henry's latest flyer in the mail today. Henry's is a reputable camera store here in Canada with over 30 stores and the 12-page flyer is about Dads and Grads promotion. Every top camera manufacturer you name has something featured in the flyer except for one. Guess who is missing **again?

**missing in previous years' Dads and Grads promotion as well
Not only that, Henry's cancelled EXPOsure this year, which was the only time I know of Ricoh/Pentax Canada setting up a booth where you could play with all their toys. I wrote them to see if the 150-450 and 70-200 would be there this year, they never even bothered writing back.
06-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #3844
Veteran Member

Just looking back on when I got my first Pentax, it was from a small photographic shop (Elena Mae for the UK readers) which was on Elgin high street. Elgin for those who are not familiar with the UK is a small town on the Moray coast, about half way between Inverness and Aberdeen.

Elena Mae is gone as a company now, but they hooked me on Pentax (after they sold me a Praktika and I out grew it)

06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #3845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Just looking back on when I got my first Pentax, it was from a small photographic shop (Elena Mae for the UK readers) which was on Elgin high street. Elgin for those who are not familiar with the UK is a small town on the Moray coast, about half way between Inverness and Aberdeen.

Elena Mae is gone as a company now, but they hooked me on Pentax (after they sold me a Praktika and I out grew it)
😀 Elgin is also a town in Texas, close to where I live. It is known well for It's BBQ. Mmmmmmmmmm!
06-13-2015, 03:31 AM   #3846

A couple of months ago I took a vacation to florida and stopped in to a small restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat. I was shooting with my K5-IIs with battery grip and DA* 50-135, and didn't feel like taking off my strap to put it in the bag for a minute so I just set it on the table after getting my food. The manager of the place walked up and said "That's a very nice camera, who makes it?" and leaned over the table to see what was on the prism housing. He looked confused and then walked away without another word after that. The only people I've encountered who even know who Pentax is are older people who shot pentax back in the film days
06-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #3847
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexThorpe Quote
A couple of months ago I took a vacation to florida and stopped in to a small restaurant to grab a quick bite to eat. I was shooting with my K5-IIs with battery grip and DA* 50-135, and didn't feel like taking off my strap to put it in the bag for a minute so I just set it on the table after getting my food. The manager of the place walked up and said "That's a very nice camera, who makes it?" and leaned over the table to see what was on the prism housing. He looked confused and then walked away without another word after that. The only people I've encountered who even know who Pentax is are older people who shot pentax back in the film days
Ahaha, funny how the buy bugged.

06-13-2015, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #3848

Today is a great day! I've just taken delivery of a new K-3 ii, with 3 new lenses. Very happy indeed. A couple of years back I had to invest in Lumix, as I was doing a lot of combined videography and photography. Now I have the budget to get back in to Pentax as my stills workhorse. I've really missed working with Pentax cameras, to me they're just the most intuitive to use, so I don't mind if they're considered rarer than other cameras - feels like I know something others don't.
06-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #3849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I may have an addiction. To date I have 6 Pentax cameras. *istDL, K20D, K7, K5iis, Q10, Q7. My son commandeered my WG-3 GPS. When my camera club has meeting it's gotten to the point where fellow members will ask which Pentax I have with me that particular day. They NEVER ask about my Canon gear because I rarely take it with me. I have some decent Canon stuff too, EOS 40D, EOS 60D and EOS 5D Mark II. The Pentax is more intuitive and user friendly, menus are made for human beings to use, and consumer friendly pricing!
06-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #3850

I loved using the K7, had one for years. I filmed a documentary with it at -30c to -40c, so I appreciated the weather sealing. Night filming was interesting, with having to shine a light in to the lens to get my desired shutter speed. Huge file sizes from the MJPEG and they'd crash a lot. Still a lot of fun.
06-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #3851
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
I think I may have an addiction. To date I have 6 Pentax cameras. *istDL, K20D, K7, K5iis, Q10, Q7. My son commandeered my WG-3 GPS. When my camera club has meeting it's gotten to the point where fellow members will ask which Pentax I have with me that particular day. They NEVER ask about my Canon gear because I rarely take it with me. I have some decent Canon stuff too, EOS 40D, EOS 60D and EOS 5D Mark II. The Pentax is more intuitive and user friendly, menus are made for human beings to use, and consumer friendly pricing!
I have quite a few Pentax bodies as well, about 16 to be exact. I also had some issues with the Canon interface when I have used a friend's camera. The Nikon interface and color rendition would be more familiar if I added a second brand.

We are still quite rare, and my cameras still generate questions from others.
06-15-2015, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3852
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Today I ran into a guy who asked about my camera - is it a Canon or Nikon? Meh, so typical :P Once I told him it was a Pentax, he added, he knew Pentax from the film days and continued to ask: do they still come with screw mount?

Ricoh, do something! :P
06-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #3853
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Today I ran into a guy who asked about my camera - is it a Canon or Nikon? Meh, so typical :P Once I told him it was a Pentax, he added, he knew Pentax from the film days and continued to ask: do they still come with screw mount?

That's just so funny.
06-15-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #3854
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
: do they still come with screw mount?

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." ☺
06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #3855
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We visited with family in Miami FL and of course we visited the Fairchild Tropical Gardens and Fruit and Spice Park in nearby Homestead. A wonderful experience for those who aren't acquainted sub-tropical flora. As far as I could tell I was the only Pentax shooter in either venue. Sorry for all the Canikon folks!