Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #3991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
The idea that everyone's supposed to get their cameras from two sources among more of a dozen in the market is just too alien to me.
It's just like our politics. "We have a two-party system" I've been told many times by people who think it is superior to all other countries*. I'm always tempted to ask: Which article in the Constitution specifies that? And I've always thought that two parties were inadequate to represent the diversity of political outlooks in this country, and certainly two cameras are not adequate. Suppose the only automobile options were Chevy and Ford - no imports, no Chrysler-Jeep? Who would stand for it??

There have been 17 presidential elections with a noteworthy third party candidate. Most recently Ross Perot, probably most famously Teddy Roosevelt, and perhaps best forgotten Strom Thurmond ran on the National States' Rights party ticket with an unapologetically white supremacist platform. The Republican Party arose as a third party just prior to the Civil War, nominating Lincoln.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-07-2015 at 04:18 PM.
09-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #3992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It's just like our politics. "We have a two-party system" I've been told many times by people who think it is superior to all other countries*. I'm always tempted to ask: Which article in the Constitution specifies that? And I've always thought that two parties were inadequate to represent the diversity of political outlooks in this country, and certainly two cameras are not adequate. Suppose the only automobile options were Chevy and Ford - no imports, no Chrysler-Jeep? Who would stand for it??

There have been 17 presidential elections with a noteworthy third party candidate. Most recently Ross Perot, probably most famously Teddy Roosevelt, and perhaps best forgotten Strom Thurmond ran on the National States' Rights party ticket with an apologetically white supremacist platform. The Republican Party arose as a third party just prior to the Civil War, nominating Lincoln.
Well put! (curious: did you mean to write 'unapologetically'?)
09-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #3993
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Well put! (curious: did you mean to write 'unapologetically'?)
Yes. Thank you. My typing skills were never any good, and now they're developing Alzheimer's. In time, maybe the rest of me will follow. But Alzheimer's has some advantages: you're always meeting friends and family you didn't know you had, you can wrap your own birthday presents and hide your own Easter eggs, you can watch endless reruns of "I Love Lucy" and laugh every time, you can be served rice every day and not get bored with it, and your library only needs one good mystery novel.
09-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #3994
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are parties even mentioned in the US Constitution? I don't think it is in the Australian one either.

A modern innovation/illness, depending on your viewpoint. :-)

09-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #3995
Pentaxian

Parties are not in the Australian constitution. The nearest is the concept of 'majority' which is how the Prime Minister is determined - "the leader of the majority in the lower house" - incidentally guaranteeing that the Prime Minister has one house aligned to the extent that the PM can lead the people who voted for the PM to be their leader. And if the PM cannot those people get together and elect a new leader. Kind of like some people here with LBA who flip lenses hoping they will be happier with the new one than the old one.
09-08-2015, 01:45 AM   #3996
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Kind of like some people here with LBA who flip lenses hoping they will be happier with the new one than the old one.
Or worse, camera brands.

A bit like the cricketer's humorous tweet I saw at the weekend: "Weird. I bought a $700 bat but I'm still sh1t." :-)
09-08-2015, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #3997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Or worse, camera brands.

A bit like the cricketer's humorous tweet I saw at the weekend: "Weird. I bought a $700 bat but I'm still sh1t." :-)

To quote (or paraphrase) Danny Kaye: "I've seen cricket, and I know it's not true."

09-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #3998

I stayed in Banff for 4 days last month,everyone carried a camera, mostly C&N, plus some Olympus and Sony. However,the only Pentax I saw is my own K3.
09-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #3999

Also the diamonds are rare...
09-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #4000
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by desete Quote
Also the diamonds are rare...

Actually, diamonds are not rare.

Flawless, clear, gem-quality diamonds are rare but I would rather buy aquamarine or opals than diamonds anyways.
09-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #4001
Forum Member

Did a walk around Sydney this arvo, Hyde Park, Parliament House, Opera House loop. Of sales about 15 canon (mostly entry level), perhaps 20 Nikon (mostly higher spec looking), 234543 or there about mirrorless, and 2 other Pentax, k5 or k3 looking.
09-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #4002
Pentaxian

Last weekend I arrived at Reflection Lake in Rainier NP at 7:15 a.m. It was cloudly and there were only three people—traveling companions from India. One of them was shooting with a Canon Rebel, the other with a Pentax K-5 (and what looked like one of the Sigma 10-20s). I had my K-5iis and the DA 16-85. The Pentax shooter from India was excited to run across another Pentax shooter. We talked about the DA 16-45, the DA 16-85, and the upcoming Pentax FF. For a brief time, I was at an iconic location where Pentax cameras outnumbered Canikons 2 to 1.

This was not the first time this has happened to me in the Cascades. A couple of months ago I arrived at Plaikni Falls to find a Nikon and a Pentax shooter (K-50?).

I'm seeing more Pentax cameras in the wild. WR can come in handy in the Pacific Northwest.
09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #4003

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Last weekend I arrived at Reflection Lake in Rainier NP at 7:15 a.m. It was cloudly and there were only three people—traveling companions from India. One of them was shooting with a Canon Rebel, the other with a Pentax K-5 (and what looked like one of the Sigma 10-20s). I had my K-5iis and the DA 16-85. The Pentax shooter from India was excited to run across another Pentax shooter. We talked about the DA 16-45, the DA 16-85, and the upcoming Pentax FF. For a brief time, I was at an iconic location where Pentax cameras outnumbered Canikons 2 to 1.

This was not the first time this has happened to me in the Cascades. A couple of months ago I arrived at Plaikni Falls to find a Nikon and a Pentax shooter (K-50?).

I'm seeing more Pentax cameras in the wild. WR can come in handy in the Pacific Northwest.
It makes sense. Pentax excels in tough conditions. It was a clever strategy of Pentax to go this route IMO. I regularly use my K5 in the sea and it is occasionally fully soaked, of course with a WR lens. Hasn't been a problem so far, but I wouldn't try this with a Canon.
09-13-2015, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #4004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I run a Pentax group on Meetup.com. I just received the following message:

Sydney Pentax Users Club
1 new member joined your Meetup Group!
You now have 100 members! Nice work!
09-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #4005

A Pentax caught in the wild! Granted, it is my daughter and we went out to shoot a few photos tonight. Dreamy SOOC look courtesy of my 60-250 which fell. Wish I could afford to buy a new one and keep this one as it is, as for flowers and such, it is a very nice effect.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo