Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #4096
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Met in person another ex-pentax user, now moved on to Sony mirror-less due to kids and need to carry lighter camera equipment. He was selling his Pentax K-X gear with usual 18-55, 55-300, 50mm manual and 35 mm auto prime lens. Bought the 55-300 from him (the non-wr). Seems to be well kept. He had good experience with Pentax and hard to let go his collection.

11-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #4097
Veteran Member

Oddly i keep on seeing pentax comming up in movies.
11-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #4098
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Oddly i keep on seeing pentax coming up in movies.
Tell us where you spot them in this thread... please. :-)
11-25-2015, 12:46 AM   #4099
Veteran Member

I watched an American programme about crime and forensics on Netflix recently. Practically every episode (there were 40 of them) had a shot of a photographer taking photographs of the crime scene. Pentax was well represented, though the scenes were too brief to tell which models were being used. I don't know how old the series was, but all the cameras were film models.

11-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #4100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Oddly i keep on seeing pentax comming up in movies.
In the 80's and 90's, I was a Unit Still Photographer on many motion pictures. In fact, there is about 3 seconds of me and my 645 in Return of the Killer Tomatoes. Usually what happens is the Prop Master needs a camera for a scene and will head over to the Unit Still Photographer to ask if they could borrow a camera for a scene. The photographer will never hand over their bread and butter, but will often loan their back up equipment for the actors to use in the scene. In the film days I was shooting with (2) Nikon F3HP, but my trusty, indestructible back up was a Pentax K1000.
12-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #4101
Pentaxian

Was on the footpath shooting my daughters graduation parade when the iconic red strap
hoved into view...
I just had time to deliver my 'yah Pentax' as he swept by, oblivious.
Dunno what it was but it was engriped so probably a pro
12-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #4102
Forum Member

I'm not into big name brands, sure a lot people are using C or N. Not knocking them I would chose Pentax every time.

12-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #4103
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
abmj... Well, in America, yes. We were hiking in Utah in 2009 and, because of my K20D slung over my shoulder, a younger German fellow walked aside me and said "Nice camera." He had the same camera, different lens. Fast forward to later in the year and, he and his future wife drove up to Anchorage and stayed with us for a few days. Since that time, I have seen ZERO Pentax cameras anywhere. Not that I get out a lot but, alas, that seems to be the case. In Europe and Asia, I'm sure it's a different story. But, since I don't plan to relocate, it's a pain finding product selection. Good news, though. My son shoots real estate photography and, on a hike this past summer, he asked to use my K5 IIs. I was more than happy because that left me free to enjoy the view and keep up. He wants it. The ergonomics are far more intuitive than a Canon yet, he can buy anything, anywhere for that camera of his and know that new products are always made first for Canons and Nikons.
12-16-2015, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #4104
Pentaxian

Even though we're rare it doesn't matter. I like what i have and that's important.
12-18-2015, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #4105

I had my 67 at the Christmas parade. I got a, "What the hell is that?", from a cell phone kid. His dad who looked to be 40-ish. Said "Son, that is a real camera!" Go Pentax!
12-19-2015, 05:48 AM   #4106
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
I had my 67 at the Christmas parade. I got a, "What the hell is that?", from a cell phone kid. His dad who looked to be 40-ish. Said "Son, that is a real camera!" Go Pentax!
Was he pretending to talk to his son, but really high fiving you? Bless him! :-D
12-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #4107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlamDesiAK Quote
*snip*
Since that time, I have seen ZERO Pentax cameras anywhere
*snip*
Alaska... just where having a Pentax would make even more sense... there was a thread a year or so ago of a K3 delivering the goods in a sub-zero snowstorm... nice stuff!
12-21-2015, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #4108
Pentaxian

Went to a dr appointment this morning, and they have a slide show running on a wall mounted tv, with a lot of excellent landscapes, wildlife, and bird shots from all round the Alaska, BC, PNW, Montana region. Turns out they are all taken by the doc, mostly with his K-5ii and K3 paired up with a Bigma and now a 600 (I think that's what he said, he was poking around in an ear at the time...). He did say he has a much bigger challenge getting the birds, but he certainly manages! And he is training his teenagers in the ways of the Pentax as well ��

Jim
12-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #4109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
And he is training his teenagers in the ways of the Pentax as well
A very good father!

My daughter's fiance uses Nikon! Should I tell her to end the engagement?
12-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #4110

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
the ways of the Pentax
Is his son a young padawan?