Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #4126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dittos on this one! I have a K7 and K01, and a new K50 was added for my 20 something daughter for Christmas (she also got one of Dad's lenses as a bonus)!

BD

12-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #4127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A cult by the sound of it ...
More like the nut house!
12-29-2015, 05:10 AM - 6 Likes   #4128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I start them young in my family!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
12-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #4129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amasing, came across a bloke with a K-3 today, and he is now local too. first I have seen in a very long time. told him about this forums.

01-03-2016, 12:56 AM   #4130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was out in the Scioto trail area of Columbus, a place where you usually see a lot of photographers. Today in the 2-3 hours I was out I only saw one other photographer, and he was shooting Pentax. I was so shocked I forgot to ask him what he was shooting with. But I did get a pic.
01-03-2016, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #4131

I did a lot of research before I bought a DSLR I went for Pentax I liked the availability of all the old lenses and the in camera anti shake. if you buy Nikon or Canon you have to pay more for every lens to have that feature. .I think Pentax is probably a more cost effective system. People may argue that Canon and Nikon give better results, is it worth all that extra money , not for me. I think the gear is less important than the imagination of the photographer, I am happy to be different
I should get a T shirt printed saying. I didn't pay thousands for L glass .
01-03-2016, 04:09 AM   #4132
Pentaxian

Years back I used to shoot with canon and Nikon. Then in one of our club photo contest a picture was entered with a crisp image and very good composition and just beat the crap out of us. It was taken by a Minolta SRT and with the original Rokkor lens. It really placed a lid in the mouth of everyone using canon and Nikon. He was by the way the best photographer in the club at that time. His picture simply spoke, "it's not the gun, it's the man behind the gun that matters."

I've never tried canon and Nikon DSLRs. But the DxO measurement of the K-3II in the other thread says the D7200 beats the K-3II by a tad. So, it isn't really that bad like Pentax sucks and Nikon is ahead by 100 points.

I still believe Pentax delivers good pictures and I really don't care what others say. Like others here, I did my researcher and I'm happy with what I have.

So let's take pictures and enjoy our gears. Maybe if we show how good our pictures are, we may be able to convince others to join Pentax. Then we won't be that rare.

01-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #4133
SJM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I was out in the Scioto trail area of Columbus, a place where you usually see a lot of photographers. Today in the 2-3 hours I was out I only saw one other photographer, and he was shooting Pentax. I was so shocked I forgot to ask him what he was shooting with. But I did get a pic.
At least you got a picture Tom.. LOL
01-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #4134
Forum Member

I read a lot on Reddit's /r/photography and there's perhaps 1 Pentax user per 10-15 Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Fuji. I'm okay with that.
01-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #4135

I feel like if Pentax had a bigger North American presence (including their OWN product support center for repairs), that they'd do much better here. Every Japanese person I've ever met is astounded to see an American shooting Pentax. It's all about the marketing.
01-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #4136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tofaffy Quote
I feel like if Pentax had a bigger North American presence (including their OWN product support center for repairs), that they'd do much better here. Every Japanese person I've ever met is astounded to see an American shooting Pentax. It's all about the marketing.
I'm not sure they'd get their money back if they did a massive spend in a Western country, Tofaffy. They're a niche player, not a high volume one.
01-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #4137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure they'd get their money back if they did a massive spend in a Western country, Tofaffy. They're a niche player, not a high volume one.
Clackers,
I know why I originally bought into the Pentax system (ergonomics, price, WR, and I have since discovered the wonderful primes), but what would you describe as the niche Pentax occupies...is it around those things or something else?
01-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #4138
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Clackers,
I know why I originally bought into the Pentax system (ergonomics, price, WR, and I have since discovered the wonderful primes), but what would you describe as the niche Pentax occupies...is it around those things or something else?
Yes, I'd say it was the same buying reasons for me, Snpsht. In body image stabilization was a biggie.

But the DSLR market is dominated by Canon and Nikon, and you'd have to spend millions to match them just as the DSLR market is annually contracting.

Doesn't make sense for Blockbuster Video to do a Superbowl ad. ☺

A niche occupier can survive a downturn if it's not as financially committed as a troubled big player.

Last edited by clackers; 01-06-2016 at 02:09 PM.
01-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #4139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, yes...I had forgotten the attraction of the in-body stabilisation!

Being niche doesn't worry me as long as Pentax/Ricoh keeps on keeping on. Ads don't do much for me and I rather money was spent on innovation and keeping costs competitive.

People are usually impressed when they handle the gear and/or see the pics, and there's a certain camaraderie when you do stumble across a fellow Pentaxian.
01-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #4140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote

Being niche doesn't worry me as long as Pentax/Ricoh keeps on keeping on.
Amen. Works for Leica et al.

Canikon are in serious financial trouble.

When the asteroid hit the earth, a small mammal wouldn't wish to be bigger and cold-blooded. 😀