Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #4141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
When the asteroid hit the earth, a small mammal wouldn't wish to be bigger and cold-blooded.
I was under the impression that dinosaurs were warm-blooded and are still with us in the form of birds. What's this got to do with Pentax? I'll get my coat...

01-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #4142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I was under the impression that dinosaurs were warm-blooded and are still with us in the form of birds. What's this got to do with Pentax? I'll get my coat...
Actually, there's a lot of research indicating they were warm blooded, and that many species would have been feathered. ☺
01-07-2016, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #4143

QuoteOriginally posted by steve7cat Quote
I did a lot of research before I bought a DSLR I went for Pentax I liked the availability of all the old lenses and the in camera anti shake. if you buy Nikon or Canon you have to pay more for every lens to have that feature. .I think Pentax is probably a more cost effective system. People may argue that Canon and Nikon give better results, is it worth all that extra money , not for me. I think the gear is less important than the imagination of the photographer, I am happy to be different
I should get a T shirt printed saying. I didn't pay thousands for L glass .
That's pretty much it.

This year at our Christmas dinner I got told that "Pentax is, no offense, a second grade camera system". After that, he went on to take our family group picture against the sun and with the following setting: 15mm, ISO 1600, 1/320s and f9.0... getting a crappy smartphone-like picture with his 2 000€ camera/lens set-up.

So, even if Pentax was a "second grade system" (which of course, it isn't!), it's more then enough for 99% of the canonikers (also for me!).

I'm very happy with my choice and don't really care what others buy. Unless it's a friend. Then I'm usually sad because they could be saving some bucks going with Pentax.
01-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #4144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
That's pretty much it.

This year at our Christmas dinner I got told that "Pentax is, no offense, a second grade camera system". After that, he went on to take our family group picture against the sun and with the following setting: 15mm, ISO 1600, 1/320s and f9.0... getting a crappy smartphone-like picture with his 2 000€ camera/lens set-up.

So, even if Pentax was a "second grade system" (which of course, it isn't!), it's more then enough for 99% of the canonikers (also for me!).

I'm very happy with my choice and don't really care what others buy. Unless it's a friend. Then I'm usually sad because they could be saving some bucks going with Pentax.

Well for some uses, eg, fast sport or high iso it currently would not be the greatest. The full frame will help on the high is front.

Most amateurs don't utilize their camera's to their potential as your example demonstrates.

For most common uses, Pentax is more than capable, especially in the right hands.

If they were a Canon user you should point them to dxo and inform them that their sensors are five years out if date.

Anyway, each to their own. Tread your own path.

Personally, I know that Pentax are generally using the same sensors as Sony and Nikon so it really comes down to form factor, ergonomics, lenses and other factors.

Personally whenever I pick up a Nikon I think it is far too big. I also happen to like the build quality of the K3 and K5. If they let me select the focus points with one of the front or rear dials I would be even happier.

Howie Be
]

01-07-2016, 04:36 AM   #4145
Veteran Member

"Pentax is, no offense, a second grade camera system".
Sounds like he was trying to compensate for some anatomical inadequacy...
01-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #4146

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Sounds like he was trying to compensate for some anatomical inadequacy...
Oh no, don't get me wrong! He is a very a nice guy and was saying this in a joking manner. But I think he ment it, at least to some extent: he might really think that Pentax gear is of lesser quality... probably without having tried it or red about it. That's the only thing bothering me: people judging without any knowledge. I also have my opinion about Canon/Nikon and it's partially negative, but I like to think it's based on a bit of reading.

At least he admits being a bit of a Nikon fanboy. I might be a bit of a Pentaxfanboy too, btw.
01-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #4147
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

We know Canon and Nikon dominate the ILC market, and the other manufacturers scramble for what's left with one differentiator or another, but they make superb cameras too. :-)

01-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #4148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the film days, there were distinctly second and third grade camera systems. And from time to time, some companies like Minolta would rise to compete with the best, and then go a different direction and slip behind.
Because of the investment needed in constantly upgrading technology, no DSLR system would survive if it was truly inferior to the competition.
Anyone who thinks Pentax or any other system including Sony, Olympus, Lumix, Leica, Samsung, etc are second grade is just ignorant or arrogant. How can anyone make that claim when their first grade system doesn't have medium format?
Current lenses available for Nikon mount? 250+; Canon? 220+; Sony? 120+; Pentax? 100+.....but if you include legacy glass, Pentax equals or exceeds Nikon.
01-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #4149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

he went on to take our family group picture against the sun and with the following setting: 15mm, ISO 1600, 1/320s and f9.0... getting a crappy smartphone-like picture with his 2 000€ camera/lens set-up
What? No pop up flash?
01-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #4150
Veteran Member

Don't feel bad, even for friends, other systems are different not worse or better. At least it depend on your criteria like the echosystem, the type of pictures you want to take and so on !
01-08-2016, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #4151

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
. Well for some uses, eg, fast sport or high iso it currently would not be the greatest.]
Also include fast moving wildlife such as children, grandchildren with a dash of "moving into picture relatives" just as you have pressed the shutter. Ahaaaaarg!

LoneWolfe
01-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #4152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's pretty much it.

Proof that the photograph quality depends on the expertise and ability of the person behind the camera, not the cost of the equipment.
01-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #4153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Proof that the photograph quality depends on the expertise and ability of the person behind the camera, not the cost of the equipment.
Would he have just used the auto mode from the cheapest DSLR available the camera would have selected better settings.
01-08-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #4154

For those who have friends who think the camera makes the man, or woman.

All modern cams of any reasonable quality can take excellent images. Never let someone else's equipment intimidate you.
01-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #4155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
For those who have friends who think the camera makes the man, or woman.

http://youtu.be/PAI74w8kmjM

All modern cams of any reasonable quality can take excellent images. Never let someone else's equipment intimidate you.
Ambaker, hilarious and so apropos.

---------- Post added 01-08-16 at 09:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Would he have just used the auto mode from the cheapest DSLR available the camera would have selected better settings.
Nicolas, I thought similarly. Give an expensive camera to a monkey and you may get a couple good shots. Give a cheap camera to a professional and you will get many good photographs.