Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #4156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
For those who have friends who think the camera makes the man, or woman.

Youtu.be

All modern cams of any reasonable quality can take excellent images. Never let someone else's equipment intimidate you.
Very funny. I wonder what she would have done if someone whipped out the Pentax 560 mm!

01-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #4157
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Some positive marketing in Australia, a "TV shopping network" segment this evening promoting a deal (k50 + 18-55 + 50-200+ 16gig card) for $AUS 749

A Ricoh rep, Carl, handled it very well. Promoted WR and SR well, didn't point out future lens paths much but that could have been deliberate to keep the concept simple. Showed some nice example photos.
01-09-2016, 03:42 AM   #4158
Veteran Member

I have lived in Orlando Florida for about 23 years, and haven't notice a Pentax product in Disney World! That amazes me.

Last edited by Tony3d; 01-09-2016 at 09:51 AM.
01-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #4159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I have lived in Orlando Florida for about 23 years, and haven't notice a Pentax product in Disney World! That amazes me.
I was at Disney World and Sea World in June/July with two Pentax K-x cameras, sorry I missed you. I did not notice any other Pentax cameras either, but then I was too busy taking photos of my grandkids to actually look for Pentax cameras.

01-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #4160

At Kerrisdale Cameras in Langley BC today: met a guy who had been using pentax forever. has basically every k body and lens. Caught him with the k-5.

Super nice and fun to talk with.
01-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #4161
Veteran Member

I live in Arkansas. There is only one large retailer, with several locations around the state. It does not even sell Pentax. It is just not readily available to the public and many get their advice from this retailer. I think if it was more available, it would be more commonly used.
01-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #4162
Pentaxian

Availability to see and touch is key. Otherwise it is only known as a name and from 'user reviews' which for other products on the internet are always somewhat dubious since you are are not sure if it is by a booster or a real user with completely different need and expectations. Been hurt by that recently with a modest purchase, USD40, and long ago for a treadmill, USD800, for which I did not expect to need repeated callouts during warranty for the same faults.

01-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #4163

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Availability to see and touch is key. Otherwise it is only known as a name and from 'user reviews' which for other products on the internet are always somewhat dubious since you are are not sure if it is by a booster or a real user with completely different need and expectations. Been hurt by that recently with a modest purchase, USD40, and long ago for a treadmill, USD800, for which I did not expect to need repeated callouts during warranty for the same faults.
Hi tim60,
I am sorry you have had bad experiences buying online. Personally, I have bought a K-x, a K-3 (both new), a Metz flash, a Pentax K-x (a second one), a SMC f/1.4 lens and a Tamron lens (all used) without being able to touch any of the goods prior to the purchase or without any prior experience with these goods, only good faith. This is also true for different and asorted goods that I have bought during the past five years at Amazon and eBay.

For the photographic gear I did my research, and from what I have read here, most other people do the same. The benefit is usually a better value proposition that buying at Brick & Mortar shops. But yes, there is risk in buying this way (I have been burned once or twice). And actually, Pentaxforums Marketplace has been good to me 100%. I really do not care to see and touch. The Pentax brand is solid and trustworthy so it is only a matter of reading what users have to say about the model I am interested in. That is how I decided for the gear I have.

Do your research, research also your potential supplier, and go for it! Have a great day.

Norberto
01-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #4164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought plenty of gear unseen. Forum members recommend something that I've then bought online from a vendor that has a warranty or a returns policy.

Online shopping is massive now.
01-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #4165
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

My rule of thumb when looking at things to buy (online or in a store),when looking at the reviews, don't read the one and five star reviews. I feel the honest reviews are the two, three and four star, but even those need to be read with a grain of salt.
01-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #4166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Hi tim60,
I am sorry you have had bad experiences buying online. Personally, I have bought a K-x, a K-3 (both new), a Metz flash, a Pentax K-x (a second one), a SMC f/1.4 lens and a Tamron lens (all used) without being able to touch any of the goods prior to the purchase or without any prior experience with these goods, only good faith. This is also true for different and asorted goods that I have bought during the past five years at Amazon and eBay.

For the photographic gear I did my research, and from what I have read here, most other people do the same. The benefit is usually a better value proposition that buying at Brick & Mortar shops. But yes, there is risk in buying this way (I have been burned once or twice). And actually, Pentaxforums Marketplace has been good to me 100%. I really do not care to see and touch. The Pentax brand is solid and trustworthy so it is only a matter of reading what users have to say about the model I am interested in. That is how I decided for the gear I have.

Do your research, research also your potential supplier, and go for it! Have a great day.

Norberto
Actually my best purchases online were photo stuff. Here and eBay. Here was good to get the idea what is good to get.

The problems online were related to ordinary household stuff.

But another possibility would be for Ricoh to put new Pentax in B&M shops on consignment and find a way to remunerated the shops for their introduction to customers even if the customer buys online, such as a payment to the nearest shop when online stuff is shipped. Then the shop does not care whether THEY complete the sale, only that a sale is completed.

I bought the treadmill in store but used online reviews. When I got rid of it no shop would take it as trade in even though it was operable and no one would buy on eBay, but the online reviews were still ALL good. The faults we result of bad design, the brushed do motor discharged dust from brush wear onto the speed sensor and the main control board, causing uncontrollable speed and main board short circuit of mains input, both dangerous and catastrophic failures. But the reviews extolled it as wonderful.

Last edited by tim60; 01-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
01-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #4167

But another possibility would be for Ricoh to put new Pentax in B&M shops on consignment and find a way to remunerated the shops for their introduction to customers even if the customer buys online, such as a payment to the nearest shop when online stuff is shipped. Then the shop does not care whether THEY complete the sale, only that a sale is completed.
I agree. It is nice to go and daydream at the stores, and... Fortunately for me, Ricoh has been doing their promotional homework enlisting different store chains in my country (Mexico) where I can see and touch some Pentax products, stores such as Liverpool, Fabricas de Francia or Sanborns for instance. And I believe other known chains are now starting to offer Pentax branded products.

But I would never buy from them, though. Their expectations of profit are way high. For instance, my recently purchased K-3 was offered at Liverpool store at a whopping price of roughly US$1680 whereas Amazon (US) had it at US$890. I understand we pay much more in import duties but not that much. I am quite happy with my K-3 and have found results with it are very good!

Norberto
01-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #4168

I agree. It is nice to go and daydream at the stores, and...
Or just feeling the camera. I saw a Pentax K50 in a store once and hold it for a while and was surprised how odd it felt and that I was missing some buttons the K10D had. And that was after I allready had read and watched a couple of reviews.
01-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #4169
Veteran Member

Hi tim60,

Norberto
I would add that while you can get lot of information on ergonomics/size/weight by trying at the store, you get absolutely no idea on the quality of picture you would get with the gear. That would require quite some time, a bunch of diverse available and interresting subjects to shoot with variety of constraints (flare, low light, detailled landscape, studio...).

So really for a good part, either you rent or ask a friend so you can try the gear for a weekend or something, eithe r the classical store will not provide you more information than form factor, weight, look and a few quick ergonomics tries.
01-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #4170

Hi tim60,

Norberto
Like Trevinon I have bought both on-line and in stores (in the UK). My experiences have been good in both. However I have determined that for me Camera purchases are best done in store even if the price is marginally more expensive. Not only do I get the opportunity to handle the camera properly (with a relatively clear conscience!), which is very important as most cameras handle differently (even "minor" design differences can sometimes make a big handling difference), but, in the event of a problem I can demostrate a problem, face to face, with the supplier without the hassle of sending it back. I had a problem with a K5 with a faulty board which was successfully dealt with this way.

Lenses (and accessories) though have regularly been bought online. Pentax lenses (in my armoury) handle relatively the same, despite some differences in size and weight. So far though I have I have seen no need to to buy pricey, top-end telefotos which I would definitely want to try with my camera first. I do however check reviews from a number of organisations to help identify strengths and weaknesses that they have "agreed". Looking at one is not really enough.