Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #4201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Me with my K3 am teaching my aunt from Arkansas how to use her Nikon D3200. I have never used a Nikon aside from picking up her camera and shooting pics of her with it. So far it's going good. Hey, I'm learning a big brand now? Lol
That's really great! First day of my photo classes I tell the students, in order of worst to best how to learn any subject:

a) Listen, watch, stay awake.
b) Take notes.
c) Ask questions.
d) Do it!!!!
e) Teach it.

Before I became a teacher, I believed that saying, "those who can't, teach". That might be true of a bad teacher, but from day one as a teacher, I discovered that I often learned more about what I was teaching, than the student. Students ask all kinds of off the wall questions, and you really got to know your stuff. Daily I'm looking at and helping students with ancient Canon Digital Rebel Xs and Nikon D40 to brand new Canon T6s, Nikon D3300, D750, and yes, for the first time, I have FOUR students (out of 100) with a Pentax K-50! It's a hard sell in a state with a huge Canon presence and zero brick and mortars carrying Pentax. Costco's limited online sales of Pentax helped.

Kudos again on helping your Aunt. She must really appreciate it, and you must be a good teacher that she listens to you and has broken old auto settings habits.

01-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #4202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
That's really great! First day of my photo classes I tell the students, in order of worst to best how to learn any subject:

Daily I'm looking at and helping students with ancient Canon Digital Rebel Xs and Nikon D40 to brand new Canon T6s, Nikon D3300, D750, and yes, for the first time, I have FOUR students (out of 100) with a Pentax K-50! It's a hard sell in a state with a huge Canon presence and zero brick and mortars carrying Pentax. Costco's limited online sales of Pentax helped.

Kudos again on helping your Aunt. She must really appreciate it, and you must be a good teacher that she listens to you and has broken old auto settings habits.
One funny incident during the session was when I popped her on camera flash up and my aunt replied, "Now how do you get it to flip up like that and flash when you want it too?" I pushed the flash back down and told her to press the little button with the 'lightning' insignia. She was quite happy when the flash popped up on command finally. I suppose we are both learning something, if I ever have to use or teach another Nikon I will know a bit of something.
01-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #4203
Veteran Member

Taking my dog for a walk one day I bumped into a bloke up the road and got chatting on this and that. Turns out he used to work for a couple of big electronics retailers, and worked in the photographic department. Seems he's a bit of a shutterbug himself and sells his images on line. When I mentioned that I was a bit pf a photographer myself, we got into the "what have you got..." 20 questions. Seeing as he was wearing a Nikon jacket I got his brand allegiances pretty quickly. When it came to his turn, he started with "Nikon, Canon......" and progressed to listing every brand you could think of except Pentax!

I had to put him out of his misery eventually, and he was a little bashful that he'd forgotten them
01-30-2016, 01:47 AM   #4204
Pentaxian

Had to laugh on this. Me with my K3 am teaching my aunt from Arkansas how to use her Nikon D3200. I have never used a Nikon aside from picking up her camera and shooting pics of her with it. I downloaded the manual for it onto my phone in iBooks (since her phone doesn't have the storage capacity) . Whenever she visits we go on shooting sessions and I am helping her learn her camera controls now. Yay, I showed her how to take it off auto and put it in manual. When she came for another session I seen that she had put it back into manual and had been using it that way although only on the exact settings we used the last time. Showed her how to change aperture settings this time. Lol, she is determined. Helped her find which AF long lens she needed to. So far it's going good. Hey, I'm learning a big brand now? Lol
That sort of thing happens - a few years ago we were in Greece on holiday and were sight-seeing. I heard the wife of a German couple "arguing" about the pictures her husband was taking - my German is very limited but it sounded like "too dark, too dark". I wandered over and asked if I could help - they were flummoxed so they let me try. IIRC it was a Fuji bridge camera which, of course, was in Program mode (what else ), but after a couple of minutes fiddling with something I had never seen before I showed them how to put into Auto mode and adjust the image brightness with the +/- rocker control on the top - and it worked so they were happy.

OTOH, many, many years ago before the time I could afford anything Pentax, I had (still have it, in fact) an old (it was at least 20 years old then) Edixa SLR with me on holiday in Greece (or somewhere else in the Med!) and there was another youngish lad with a brand new Pentax ME Super which he obviously did not understand at all - and I had show him how THAT worked without ever having actually seen/held one before (or since).

01-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #4205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote

OTOH, many, many years ago before the time I could afford anything Pentax, I had (still have it, in fact) an old (it was at least 20 years old then) Edixa SLR with me on holiday in Greece (or somewhere else in the Med!) and there was another youngish lad with a brand new Pentax ME Super which he obviously did not understand at all - and I had show him how THAT worked without ever having actually seen/held one before (or since).
Had to google the Edixa camera had not heard of it, very interesting. Which reminds me that I was supposed to iPhone a photo of a vintage lens with an aperture ring so she can see the f/stops on it.
01-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #4206
Pentaxian

Had to google the Edixa camera had not heard of it, very interesting. Which reminds me that I was supposed to iPhone a photo of a vintage lens with an aperture ring so she can see the f/stops on it.
Edixa was a well-known and respected W.German manufacturer of M42 bodies in the 50s to early 70s, but which gradually lost market share to low end E.German Pratikas and higher end Japanese makes. The early bodies were well made but the later ones were a bit cheap and cheerful to try to keep their market.

My old Prismat is one of the early ones at the lower end of their range, and is well made (brass gears - which was the failure point on mine when a tooth stripped off a gear in the wind-on mechanism, but which I fixed on a hiding-to-nothing basis by taking the top plate off and moving that gear around until the missing tooth was in the "dead zone" which was never used when winding-on - and all for the cost of a very cheap set of instrument-makers screwdrivers and a lot of trial and error). Still works and has a lovely sweet wind-on feeling/sound. Used it for many years from about 1972 to the late 80's with no more issues at all - except that it looks, and has done from when I bought it in 1969, very tatty with no leatherette covering on one side of the pentaprism housing!). Would not sell it as it has sentimental value but virtually no monetary value .
01-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #4207
Veteran Member

Saw someone walking around with a K5/3 (?) and what I assume was a DA* 16-50 f/2.8 at the river in Zurich on 2nd January.

01-30-2016, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #4208

Photos: Gallery
I recently decided to get back to DSLR and I was sure of one thing, it has to be new, not a used one. With a limited budget and say, fairly good experience with Canon, I was looking at 100D but wasn't really sure. Kept browsing around and found K-S1 (kit) on sale in a Hungarian webshop for only 300€ - the regular price is 540€. I remember that when I was a youngster, Pentax was always associated with proffessionals and was somehow always way too expensive for "common people". The reason for such a low price was the limitation in body colour choice, there was blue and white with red on stock, take it or leave it. Okay, I can live with blue, I thought to myself. And so I do.
Just later on, I figured that there's no official representative in Serbia, no service or any kind of support locally. But I don't mind. I'm happy with it and am also really happy for the feeling of being an owner of a "special" camera when I talk with other people who use Canons and Nikons... They always seem to surprise me with showing a certain respect for the Pentax brand/name...
01-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #4209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hosting a Pentax group meetup over the weekend, waiting for one more person when I saw a lady holding a Pentax camera and tripod.
Thinking it must be the lady I'm waiting on, I go over to say hello.
Nope, just a random pentaxian walking around.

Had to laugh at that
01-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #4210
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
Hosting a Pentax group meetup over the weekend,
Can there be such a thing?

All over the world we're the only users we know ... lonely ... so lonely ... so cripplingly lonely .... I need a hug now. 😁
01-31-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #4211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

All over the world we're the only users we know ... lonely ... so lonely ... so cripplingly lonely .... I need a hug now. 😁
Be brave, My Brother! I send you a hug from the States.
01-31-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

If you think you're lonely, just think about the Sigma SD1 owners, the Konica/Minolta fan club, and any city that lost their pro sport team like St. Louis. That's got to be worse than relegation. Here's are some emojis to keep you company
01-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #4213
Veteran Member

Had to laugh on this. Me with my K3 am teaching my aunt from Arkansas how to use her Nikon D3200. I have never used a Nikon aside from picking up her camera and shooting pics of her with it. I downloaded the manual for it onto my phone in iBooks (since her phone doesn't have the storage capacity) . Whenever she visits we go on shooting sessions and I am helping her learn her camera controls now. Yay, I showed her how to take it off auto and put it in manual. When she came for another session I seen that she had put it back into manual and had been using it that way although only on the exact settings we used the last time. Showed her how to change aperture settings this time. Lol, she is determined. Helped her find which AF long lens she needed to. So far it's going good. Hey, I'm learning a big brand now? Lol
Dam right
01-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #4214

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you think you're lonely, just think about the Sigma SD1 owners, the Konica/Minolta fan club, and any city that lost their pro sport team like St. Louis. That's got to be worse than relegation. Here's are some emojis to keep you company

I own a Sigma SD14, and live about two hours from St. Louis. LA is welcome to have the Lambs back. As long as we get to keep the cardinals and the beer, I'm good.
01-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #4215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
I own a Sigma SD14, and live about two hours from St. Louis. LA is welcome to have the Lambs back. As long as we get to keep the cardinals and the beer, I'm good.
You're a bigger person for that. At least you're not singing the Blues.....