Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 04:09 AM   #4321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just watching a 30minute info sales program for the K50 on TVSN and the presenters are counting down the number of units left. Two lens set, Plus $180 worth of extras, tripod, filters bag, tripod, sd card..

Their enthusiasm almost makes me want to buy a K50. What a lot of cool features. I think I heard one of the presenters is called Clem...

$800 plus p&h. They keep topping a cup of water over it. 40 units down to ten or so at this point.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 05-07-2016 at 04:15 AM.
05-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #4322

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
I chose Pentax based upon some online research and I am so happy that did! I just attended a photoworkshop and also was the only Pentaxian. There was one person there with an Olympus who, I believe, felt he had to "explain" why he went with that camera. Well, I love my Pentax.
05-07-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #4323
Pentaxian

Someday though we are few, with the capabilities of our cameras we won't be looked down on. They will simply say, there goes a Pentaxian, truly a Jedi.
05-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #4324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaboggs Quote
I chose Pentax based upon some online research and I am so happy that did! I just attended a photoworkshop and also was the only Pentaxian. There was one person there with an Olympus who, I believe, felt he had to "explain" why he went with that camera. Well, I love my Pentax.
That so sad the guys have to explain their choice as long as it work for them...

05-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #4325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've yet (admittedly only a couple of months in with the Pentax) to have anybody be condescending. Maybe it's a Toronto "live and let live" thing, but in public other photographers just give a brief nod and smile if they acknowledge you at all, and get on with their own shooting. The people I know who have dslrs are just happy to talk another person who shares their interest. In conversations with friends, neighbours and colleagues who shoot Canikon, they seem intrigued by my Pentax. They like the two dial green button setup, the viewfinder and the WR, and agree that my K-50 is a great value for the price. I had one neighbour who believed that IBIS was somehow by definition not very good, but after trying mine had to admit that she'd been misinformed.
05-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #4326

Several months ago at my camera club I did a presentation on Pentax cameras. Took about an hour. I brought in 7 of my Pentax's (or would that be Pentii?) and gave a brief history and demonstration of what each camera I had with me was capable of. The Q series really seems to strike a chord with many. A few weeks ago a fellow club member approached me and told me that due to my presentation he had given up his point and shoot camera and had bought a DSLR! He told me that handling a couple of my Pentax cameras and being able to try them "hands on" and see on the big screen TV exactly what they could do was the deciding factor for him. Of course I asked him which DSLR he bought!

He then tells me he bought a Nikon..........

So..you test drive a Cadillac and buy Lincoln, yeah that makes sense......
05-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #4327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I was at a Holy Communion........ long story short? Here are the pictures between a smart phone and a K30

Smart phone

Here's the K-30

And this is why......... Smartphones stink
If I want to make a call, I don't use my K-5! I use my Samsung 5. If I want to take a picture, I don't use my Samsung 5! I use my Pentax K-5. Choose the right tool for the job. Smartphones can take a pictorial note, but for the REAL thing, use a camera.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Someday though we are few, with the capabilities of our cameras we won't be looked down on. They will simply say, there goes a Pentaxian, truly a Jedi.
Love it!

05-08-2016, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #4328

I'm still content shooting with my old *ist DL...

Mike

05-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #4329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
Several months ago at my camera club I did a presentation on Pentax cameras. Took about an hour. I brought in 7 of my Pentax's (or would that be Pentii?) and gave a brief history and demonstration of what each camera I had with me was capable of. The Q series really seems to strike a chord with many. A few weeks ago a fellow club member approached me and told me that due to my presentation he had given up his point and shoot camera and had bought a DSLR! He told me that handling a couple of my Pentax cameras and being able to try them "hands on" and see on the big screen TV exactly what they could do was the deciding factor for him. Of course I asked him which DSLR he bought!

He then tells me he bought a Nikon..........

So..you test drive a Cadillac and buy Lincoln, yeah that makes sense......

And another case of "Hey, this feels nice in my hand. Lets go to the camera store and get one." After driving to the store.

Salesman "Can I help you?"

Buyer "Yeah, I want to buy a Pentax."

Salesman "Sorry, we don't carry that brand but we do have these nice and shiny Nikons over here."

Buyer "Ok. I'll take it."
05-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #4330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
And another case of "Hey, this feels nice in my hand. Lets go to the camera store and get one." After driving to the store.
Salesman "Can I help you?"
Buyer "Yeah, I want to buy a Pentax."
Salesman "Sorry, we don't carry that brand but we do have these nice and shiny Nikons over here."
Buyer "Ok. I'll take it."
I have yet to but a DSLR camera in a store. The only SLR I bought in a camera store was my original Petri FT, and that was in a ship's store while on a Mediterranean Cruise with the U.S. Navy. I did buy a Petri FTEE and a Pentax K1000 (film) in a sort of camera store/pawn shop. I know I want a Pentax so I shop online for what I want, knowing the chance of finding a Pentax in a store front is very slim.
05-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #4331

I did notice the full page color glossy advertisement in the recent issue of Popular Photography for the new Full Frame Pentax K1. Maybe that will begin some interest in retailers to stock Pentax products. Wishful thinking on my part I'm sure....
05-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #4332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to Magee Marsh on Friday and talked to two Pentax users, the first had a FA 300, the second a K-7 with a Sigma 100-300 that he said belonged to his son. The guys wife had a Fujifilm camera. I noticed the FA 300 with the big "PENTAX" on the hood. I happened to see the Pentax strap on the other.
05-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #4333
Veteran Member

So one of the camera stores in town had a K-1 arrive thursday, was just talking to the manager about it after their IG posted a photo of it with an M-50/1.4. Buddy said he's normally a Nikon fan but the K-1 has him "thinking really hard right now"
05-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #4334
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was at an event this week and a guy steps up beside me with a late model Canon, but I had to look twice. The lens mounted on it was a Pentax Takamar 50 1.4 ...the focus ring is very distinctive.
05-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #4335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I went to Magee Marsh on Friday and talked to two Pentax users, the first had a FA 300, the second a K-7 with a Sigma 100-300 that he said belonged to his son. The guys wife had a Fujifilm camera. I noticed the FA 300 with the big "PENTAX" on the hood. I happened to see the Pentax strap on the other.
Hi Ramseybuckeye!
It was good to run into you! You had the DA 300! I am the guy who had the FA 300.
I was about to make a note in this thread that I just saw one Pentax in the sea of mostly Canons at this birding paradise.