Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #4336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I went to Magee Marsh on Friday and talked to two Pentax users, the first had a FA 300, the second a K-7 with a Sigma 100-300 that he said belonged to his son. The guys wife had a Fujifilm camera. I noticed the FA 300 with the big "PENTAX" on the hood. I happened to see the Pentax strap on the other.
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Hi Ramseybuckeye!
It was good to run into you! You had the DA 300! I am the guy who had the FA 300.
I was about to make a note in this thread that I just saw one Pentax in the sea of mostly Canons at this birding paradise.
This is ironic! My wife's employment prevents our making a trip in prime migration season, but on Memorial Day weekend we make a trip to Pt Pelee, Ontario, on the other side of the flight over Lake Erie. Last season I started a personal new tradition of wearing PF tee-shirts while mingling with the other folk there.

05-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #4337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Hi Ramseybuckeye!
It was good to run into you! You had the DA 300! I am the guy who had the FA 300.
I was about to make a note in this thread that I just saw one Pentax in the sea of mostly Canons at this birding paradise.
It was nice to meet you however brief it was. I hope you got some great pictures. I was a little disappointed that many of the warbler species had not arrived yet, but had a great time anyway and saw a lot of other species for the first time.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is ironic! My wife's employment prevents our making a trip in prime migration season, but on Memorial Day weekend we make a trip to Pt Pelee, Ontario, on the other side of the flight over Lake Erie. Last season I started a personal new tradition of wearing PF tee-shirts while mingling with the other folk there.
It's too bad you can't get there now, but you have to make due with what you can. Have a great time in Point Pelee.
05-09-2016, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #4338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I'm asked about my Pentax, I generally respond with, "Yeah, you won't find one of these at BestBuy." Then I give their camera a meaningful look. 😜
05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #4339

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
If I want to make a call, I don't use my K-5! I use my Samsung 5. If I want to take a picture, I don't use my Samsung 5! I use my Pentax K-5. Choose the right tool for the job. Smartphones can take a pictorial note, but for the REAL thing, use a camera.[COLOR="Silver"]
Hey grhazelton,
I tend to think the same. Well, that was until I got my hands on a Moto X Pure. Man! This smartphone really takes good shots, even using its onboard flash. I am a K-3 user and I like my camera (actually, I bought both at the same time from Amazon), but this phone really shoots. Give it a try.

Norberto

05-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #4340

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
When I'm asked about my Pentax, I generally respond with, "Yeah, you won't find one of these at BestBuy." Then I give their camera a meaningful look. 😜
Oh, that's just mean. Like that, though
05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #4341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
Oh, that's just mean. ..
Just like some non-Pentaxians!
05-09-2016, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #4342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
When I'm asked about my Pentax, I generally respond with, "Yeah, you won't find one of these at BestBuy." Then I give their camera a meaningful look. ��
If I ever have the opportunity, I may just use that. I've never seen them at Best Buy, but I did happen on a lovely display of K-50s at Downtown Camera Toronto a week ago.

Last edited by eyrr; 05-09-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added photo
05-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #4343
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
Today I saw a sight rarer than a Pentax, an OM-D user. It was majestic.

In the local photography group I am in, I am the only Pentax AND the only Olympus user.
05-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #4344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
If I ever have the opportunity, I may just use that. I've never seen them at Best Buy, but I did happen on a lovely display of K-50s at Downtown Camera Toronto a week ago.
Wow! Here in Houston, the U.S.'s 4th largest city with over 6 million in the metro area, we have only one camera store - and it doesn't carry Pentax.
05-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #4345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote

Are those display models ʻdummiesʻ or actual cameras? In the US, it seemed like only black, white, and red were available. If I were in Toronto, Iʻd have a hard time walking past that yellow one, or the dark metallic green, or......
05-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #4346
Pentaxian

Saw a man with a Pentax today. All I could work out was that he liked it and got it in USA, which is not too bad since we did not share a language.
05-10-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #4347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Are those display models ʻdummiesʻ or actual cameras? In the US, it seemed like only black, white, and red were available. If I were in Toronto, Iʻd have a hard time walking past that yellow one, or the dark metallic green, or......
I don't know. They looked real but I'm assuming display models not actual cameras. Judging by the presence of the swatches I think the actual colourful camera would be a special order and possibly premium price. I wanted to ask but it was just before closing on a Sunday and they were very busy. I don't even know how much they were for the basic black.

The deep metallics were all very nice. The metallic midnight navy blue almost reads as black at first; subtle and very classy. You can get the metallic brown with a brown grip. The green was lovely deep moss green - my favourite colour - and I have dibs on that one. The yellow is all yours.
05-13-2016, 01:10 PM - 6 Likes   #4348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It was nice to meet you however brief it was. I hope you got some great pictures. I was a little disappointed that many of the warbler species had not arrived yet, but had a great time anyway and saw a lot of other species for the first time.

I was not able to get good pics of the warblers. However, enjoyed the eagle family. Here is a pic of an adult landing (taken with a 400mm lens)

[IMG][/IMG]
05-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #4349

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Hey grhazelton,
I tend to think the same. Well, that was until I got my hands on a Moto X Pure. Man! This smartphone really takes good shots, even using its onboard flash. I am a K-3 user and I like my camera (actually, I bought both at the same time from Amazon), but this phone really shoots. Give it a try.

Norberto
Maybe so but you can't turn off the display and look through the viewfinder so at events you would be just another annoying person with a cellphone in the air blocking someone else's veiw.
05-22-2016, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #4350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went to my niece's wedding on Saturday. The usual scrum of cell-phone shooters were there, the pro was a pleasant young woman shooting a Canon with an enormous 70-200 f 2.8 zoom, and I held forth with my K-5. The only other "real" cameras were low-end Nikon DSLRs wielded by two young kids, and a young fellow shooting with a K 50 and the 35mm f2.4. We chatted briefly; he'd chosen Pentax because it offered, in his judgement, the best feature-set at its price point. Wise fellow!