Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #4366
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Oh, how the "mighty were fallen"
Doesn't get that cold in St. John's, but I never worry about the temps when shooting and often shoot in the -15C range.

This was a strong January winter gale. Winds 100 kph+. Temps a bit below -10C. Air full of horizontal salt spray. Only problem was the Sigma 10-20 I shouldn't have attempted to use in the first place wouldn't function after a while and I had to switch to another--Pentax--lens.

Day after. Just as cold.

I've seen about 1 Pentax user here. There are some others nearby including a poster I've seen posting on this forum.

Last edited by jgnfld; 05-25-2016 at 04:07 AM.
05-26-2016, 05:29 AM - 3 Likes   #4367
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So we're rare yes, but I do hate when we are all "exclusive like".

I was just banned from a flickr group because I use (and have used) non Pentax cameras. (I also don't keep all exif data because I do edit my photos) I will keep with Pentax always, but I also just got a Canon t3i for free, sort of, and will use it for time lapses.

I would like to just say Go Pentax! But boo exclusivity.
05-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #4368

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I'm smarter, better or superior to anyone by any means just because I use a Pentax camera as my primary tool to make better shots... I still keep my Canon SX50 HS close for light travel or as a good start-up tool to teach my daughter how to deal with light, composition, generally (digital) photography. She's still not ready for a DSLR, neither am I ready to spend that much money on her camera. If I'd have to pick one of these two to keep, that would be my Pentax, but I don't have to, finally, I worked really hard to be able to have a DSLR for my own pleasure and a good prosumer at the same time. Both have their advantages and downsides...
05-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #4369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Someday though we are few, with the capabilities of our cameras we won't be looked down on. They will simply say, there goes a Pentaxian, truly a Jedi.
I would love to see that day....

05-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #4370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I would love to see that day....
I normally carry two cameras when I shoot. Imagine a guy who can shoot two cameras at the same time. If that day comes, I will be called a master Jedi. If you carry three you will be called a great master Jedi. If you carry four and I don't know why you will carry four, you will be classified as a great grand master Jedi.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 05-26-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added to the message
05-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #4371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I normally carry two cameras when I shoot. Imagine a guy who can shoot two cameras at the same time. If that day comes, I will be called a master Jedi. If you carry three you will be called a great master Jedi. If you carry four and I don't know why you will carry four, you will be classified as a great grand master Jedi.
For many years, back in the film days when I was a pro, Iʻd carry three FSLRs so that I could quickly switch primes or negs to slides to B&W. If that wasnʻt heavy enough, imagine all three cameras in a Jacobson sound blimp to silence them on movie sets.

Now, shooting for myself, I "only" pack two: Typically a Pentax 645 medium format with two primes and a DSLR with a 16-85mm zoom. I donʻt own a light saber and the only force with me seems to be gravity.
05-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #4372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightening the load

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For many years, back in the film days when I was a pro, Iʻd carry three FSLRs so that I could quickly switch primes or negs to slides to B&W. If that wasnʻt heavy enough, imagine all three cameras in a Jacobson sound blimp to silence them on movie sets.

Now, shooting for myself, I "only" pack two: Typically a Pentax 645 medium format with two primes and a DSLR with a 16-85mm zoom. I donʻt own a light saber and the only force with me seems to be gravity.
Lightening the load really IS a subjective concept!

Regards,

BD

06-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #4373

Of the two weeks I was in Japan (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagahama, Gifu, Okayama, Kurashiki, Kanazawa, Ueda, Tokyo, Sendai, and Fuji..), I saw ONE Pentax besides my own.

I quickly snapped a picture, and lost them in the crowd!
06-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #4374
Forum Member

Last weekend I was at Rockavaria in Munich - Germany, to photograph for my website and sadly I had to notice that I was the only Pentaxian in the crowed of like 70 photographers there - I saw no other Pentax camera, mostly CaNikon with 2-3 Sonys

So maybe we are more rare then I thought...

At least some of the other guys noticed the little beauty I brought to the festival (K1 with 24-70 / 60-250) and asked some questions, wanted to hold her and play around - so I was happy to be able to show them that Pentax is still alive and not only a myth

Hopefully I will find some Pentaxians on the next festivals I will visit this year ^^#
06-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #4375
Pentaxian

I went to London for the bank holiday, would you believe so little has happened in England that when they want a holiday they can only name it after the fact that the bank workers go on holiday and not some event of national importance or interest, and saw one Pentax other than mine. I happened to have mine in the bag at the time.
06-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #4376

In the two weeks I was in Spain, I saw dozens of Canons & Nikons with a handful of Sonys, Panasonics and Fujis and precisely one other Pentax body.
06-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #4377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The previous weekend I took this photo at the Asian Festival in Columbus. I saw another one earlier too, or maybe it was the same guy.
06-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #4378
Pentaxian

During my time at the falls, I didn't see one. It's like the company does not exist.
06-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #4379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
During my time at the falls, I didn't see one. It's like the company does not exist.
They exist, because you are.
06-08-2016, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #4380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
They exist, because you are.

Woah... Way too deep for me. I think I need to go meditate for a while.

Maybe I'll reach enlightment if I read it through a viewfinder!