Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #4441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
at the horse races today were a couple of canons, one nikon gal and a pentax dude (me). So if you like screwing around with statistics: pentax users are as common as nikon ones!
Yes, and Nikon is a girls' camera. :-D

07-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #4442
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
at the horse races today were a couple of canons, one nikon gal and a pentax dude (me). So if you like screwing around with statistics: pentax users are as common as nikon ones!
I dare say some would like to screw around with more than just the statistics
08-01-2016, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #4443

In the past week I was on a trip to Regensburg (Germany), Edam and Amsterdam (Holland), Prague and Nova Hradečna in Czech Republic. Made a lot of shots (over 1600) and saw approximately ten thousand people doing the same. Some were using tablets and mobiles, some with prosumers (bridge) and some with DSLRs, cheap or not so cheap, but saw exactly zero people using Pentax... There might have been someone but I missed it...
08-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #4444

Same story here, been camping and walking in Switserland last week, seen lots of tourists with all kinds of gear, but not a single pentax.

08-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #4445
Pentaxian

Well, in the last few months near my home, i got quite a few occasions to meet Pentaxians.
One at a time [maximum], with K-x, K-S1 and K-5 : flight demonstrations, old city-centers and monument visitors.
French amateurs photogs are still buying the brand.
08-01-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #4446
Veteran Member

Oups......
We are loosing customer.

https://www.photography-forum.org/threads/canon-or-nikon-which-one.135233/
08-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #4447
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
Im more unterested on the comments... While someones tell Pentax use decades old technologies in a dying system, others say his K30 is on par to the cameras he say he want to buy, other members say the accesories he want need are available....

08-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #4448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Nikon D5300 vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis

Canon T6i vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis

Canon T6i vs Pentax K-50 - Our Analysis

Even the K50 shines better

You can show them 100s of pictures where Pentax is better, but they just won't accept and keep falling into the same 'name brand' trap.

Don't understand what accessories you don't get for Pentax that is special with C/N?

And this person is just shooting with 18-55 kit lens lol.

to me what matters is what glass is attached to a body and who handles it, doesn't matter which camera body it is!!

Last edited by suraswami; 08-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.
08-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #4449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn't that how a lot of these sorts of things work out? Brand loyalists confuse the issue, no one sits back and asks what he really wants and then evaluates the options? The OP in that thread can't get accessories for his K-30 but doesn't seem capable of naming what he is looking for. From my reading he would be smart to buy a 15mm Ltd and a remote shutter but some pervy moron keeps telling him to buy Anything But Pentax.
08-01-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #4450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Nikon D5300 vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis

Canon T6i vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis

Canon T6i vs Pentax K-50 - Our Analysis

Even the K50 shines better

You can show them 100s of pictures where Pentax is better, but they just won't accept and keep falling into the same 'name brand' trap.

Don't understand what accessories you don't get for Pentax that is special with C/N?

And this person is just shooting with 18-55 kit lens lol.

to me what matters is what glass is attached to a body and who handles it, doesn't matter which camera body it is!!
You'd show them pictures taken with a Pentax and say it was taken with a Nikon/Canon, and vice versa with pictures taken with a Nikon and they'd say the Nikon (Pentax) are better. It's all in the head, some kind of photography-placebolike effect.
08-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #4451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Isn't that how a lot of these sorts of things work out? Brand loyalists confuse the issue, no one sits back and asks what he really wants and then evaluates the options? The OP in that thread can't get accessories for his K-30 but doesn't seem capable of naming what he is looking for. From my reading he would be smart to buy a 15mm Ltd and a remote shutter but some pervy moron keeps telling him to buy Anything But Pentax.
People are always knocking the sales guy, but this is what we have come to with the internet age. You've heard of "Don't Ask, don't tell?" Well here it is "Don't ask, don't know!" Doing landscapes I can work with everything from my 8mm rokinon through the 10-20 Sigma and beyond with my K-7 and K-01, and can use the 10-20 easily on my K-1 (down to 15mm or so) and then on up from there with legacy glass! Try a Tamron adaptall 17mm on the K-1, works great! That K-30 is very capable, the guy just needs some guidance, which if he would ask, we would happily provide!
08-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #4452

I bought a KM several months ago, that was still in great condition and have learned a lot about DSLR with it. I have just upgraded to a K50 as I enjoyed using the KM so much.
My previous camera was a Ricoh KR10 circa 1980 - I still have that camera. Pentax/Rocoh cameras are well made and seem to last. My opinion is that Pentax is a brand that is true to it's roots and that Ricoh should be proud of. I am very proud to now be part of a rather exclusive club and have found Pentax forums very helpful.
08-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #4453
Veteran Member

I read through the whole 2 pages of that post and even though people gave some advice, it's nowhere near the level of help we receive in this forum. The worst is the guy who said that there are no below average cameras on the market, but then said Pentax is an outdated and dying system, and its only use is if you have K lenses. The most helpful advice was a few people letting him know that Pentax is still a good path forward, even by a guy who uses Canon now. Makes me glad to be part of this Pentax community, regardless of how small, backwards, or quirky we may seem to those who only know how to follow the big names.
08-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #4454
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I read through the whole 2 pages of that post and even though people gave some advice, it's nowhere near the level of help we receive in this forum. The worst is the guy who said that there are no below average cameras on the market, but then said Pentax is an outdated and dying system, and its only use is if you have K lenses. The most helpful advice was a few people letting him know that Pentax is still a good path forward, even by a guy who uses Canon now. Makes me glad to be part of this Pentax community, regardless of how small, backwards, or quirky we may seem to those who only know how to follow the big names.

After reading through the first page, I almost wanted to join just so I could call the guy you are talking about, oneandonly, a few choice words. But I would be banned after one post but that would have been ok, because after reading through, I don't think I would want to be around a lot of the people on that forum.
08-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #4455
Zav
Pentaxian

I spotted my first K-1 this weekend in London!