Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #4456
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
Lol.... This quote...
"Pentax have their fans but sadly they're using decades old technology, they have their fans and if you like that kind of thing then by all means use them, they have a single role, they're lens mount goes back to the days of your grandmother's first menstrual cycle so if you've a box of 'K' mount lenses they're not to be dismissed."

As a grandmother and the owner of a menstrual cycle ( it's a Harley) ha ha ... I also have Pentax and K Mount lenses oh oh oh and they are NEW ones, and old ones.... Each one in's own lens case stored neatly in a padded camera bag, oh sheesh certainly not in a box. Lol, I am still laughing at this comment. Ha ha ha TMI

08-02-2016, 01:22 AM   #4457
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Lol.... This quote...
"Pentax have their fans but sadly they're using decades old technology, they have their fans and if you like that kind of thing then by all means use them, they have a single role, they're lens mount goes back to the days of your grandmother's first menstrual cycle so if you've a box of 'K' mount lenses they're not to be dismissed."

As a grandmother and the owner of a menstrual cycle ( it's a Harley) ha ha ... I also have Pentax and K Mount lenses oh oh oh and they are NEW ones, and old ones.... Each one in's own lens case stored neatly in a padded camera bag, oh sheesh certainly not in a box. Lol, I am still laughing at this comment. Ha ha ha TMI
I'm more concerned that the poster of that comment, "Benjamin" I think, might have a job where his opinion on other things might have some real impact, say he's a doctor or something...... nothing more dangerous then an incompetent opinionated person....
08-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #4458

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Lol.... This quote...

One of the reasons why I went for Pentax is in fact the K-mount and all the benefits it brings . I was really frustrated with the lack of compatibility with anything else but the newest (read: expensive) stuff with the previous DSLR I had. Not to mention all the confusion that it made in my head finding the way out from all the missmatching mount types from the same manufacturer... Being one of the guys "on budget" and not being able to buy a good lens unless it cost premium $$$ made me start thinking about a reasonable alternative. Once the K-S1 popped out @300€ and fantastic image quality it brought plus all the bits (features) it offered, the game was over, ok, it has some quirky design details but I was not looking for a camera that would speak to others about how special or expensive it is but a camera that would please me with results... From there (K-S1) to K-3II it was quite easy... All my lenses already compatible, no more wasting time and money, instant pleasure with results...
08-02-2016, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #4459
Pentaxian

One of the reasons I chose Pentax is the k-mount. After a long rest from photography for about 15 years, I bought my first digital camera which was an Olympus e-410. A year later, I bought my e-30, and more accessories. About 3 years later, Olympus just killed the 4/3 mount. Such a short lived system. So my question is why shouldn't I buy a system that has supported its mount since the beginning? I believe that this is a firm commitment from Pentax and that's something I like. Photography is an expensive hobby. One who goes into it must be able to grow into the system and not let you throw your money into something that will just be given a quick death. I guess some companies don't really care about their customers. This creates disgusted customers and does not create brand loyalty. Olympus have great lenses maybe even better than the rest but, I will never be wooed by that again. As I have always said, as long as Pentax will support the k-mount, it is where I'll stay.

08-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #4460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
One of the reasons why I went for Pentax is in fact the K-mount and all the benefits it brings . I was really frustrated with the lack of compatibility with anything else but the newest (read: expensive) stuff with the previous DSLR I had. Not to mention all the confusion that it made in my head finding the way out from all the missmatching mount types from the same manufacturer... Being one of the guys "on budget" and not being able to buy a good lens unless it cost premium $$$ made me start thinking about a reasonable alternative. Once the K-S1 popped out @300€ and fantastic image quality it brought plus all the bits (features) it offered, the game was over, ok, it has some quirky design details but I was not looking for a camera that would speak to others about how special or expensive it is but a camera that would please me with results... From there (K-S1) to K-3II it was quite easy... All my lenses already compatible, no more wasting time and money, instant pleasure with results...

+1 I used Canon Rebel XT for 4 years with my vintage lenses and some adapters, Pentax was the logical choice (for me) when I upgraded. I liked my old Canon and I love my K50 :-)

I never understood the bashing & belittleling coming from Canon/Nikon users, hell I got snobbed on a few occasions because my 350D was considered, by some, to be an "Antique" :-/ I say everyone should appreciate photographic gears on a global scale, regardless of brand or technology.
08-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #4461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Confirmation bias, and polarization of opinion. Tough for some people to fight against, particularly when they get defensive and need to justify their position.
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #4462
Pentaxian

Which is basically the standard situation encountered on a lot of forums...

08-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #4463

Never seen a Pentax in my part of Spain - ever. Its good to be different
08-04-2016, 02:31 AM   #4464

Lol, how on earth is using a standard lens mount a bad thing, for ANY manufacturer?

Having spoken to various Canon & Nikon users about why I prefer Pentax, most have agreed that a standard lens mount "that goes goes back to the days of your grandmother's first menstrual cycle", is a good thing. Guess that is one of the reasons why you tend to see more used Nikon & Canon gear out there, than Pentax. As Pentaxians we generally keep our gear, as it still has its' uses even if you upgrade bodies.

B
08-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #4465
Veteran Member

I've just got back from a trip around parts of Europe and UK, took my old K100D in case the airlines damaged my newer model, but again there seemed to be very few Pentax on display. Stayed one night at a little motel near a bird sanctuary, and the next morning I was going for breakfast when I noticed two middle aged women all dressed up for a day bird spotting. One of the women was carrying a large camera body with an even larger lens, and as I couldn't see the model I enquired what it was. She replied that it was a Nikon something or other . She obviously saw the look on my face as I replied "Ah Nikon, well you lost me at that point". She then indicated her colleague and said "Well she is a big fan on Canon!" to which I replied "Sorry, I'm a Pentax user".

Her face took on that kindly look you used to get from maiden aunts after you had tried and failed to achieve something and the words "Well good for you.." were uttered.
08-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #4466

Long-Time Pentaxian

I purchased my 1st Pentax many years ago (early 80s) when I was stationed (Air Force - now retired) on the Greek Island of Crete. A few of my friends had the K-1000, I decided to be different and picked the Super Program. I also picked up a Soligor 35-200mm Zoom w/Macro to go with the 50mm that came with the camera. Although they served me well over the years, I finally decided to brave the digital world and purchased a Kr... primarily because I would still be able to use my 500mm prime and the 35-200 zoom. I have since purchased a K-50 (Red) with the 18-135mm, as well as a 28-80mm zoom w/macro and a 75-300mm zoom... all Pentax.

Whenever I venture out on a photo trip, I'm frequently asked why I chose Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon; I reply, "I could have if I had wanted to be a follower... but remember this, unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."

Let the naysayers say what they want. IMHO, Pentax offers the most bang for the buck. When I get comments on the photos I've shot, no one asks if I used a Canon or a Nikon... they just say I must be using a really good camera... to which I say "I am... I shoot with a Pentax!"
08-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #4467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I spotted my first K-1 this weekend in London!
It's always inspiring to see these beautiful creatures in the wild!
08-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #4468
Veteran Member

My son is doing a photography camp this summer, and he told me there is a girl with a pentax "just like his". Greetings to fellow pentaxian from Ottawa whose daughter is attending the camp!
08-11-2016, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #4469
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
My son is doing a photography camp this summer, and he told me there is a girl with a pentax "just like his". Greetings to fellow pentaxian from Ottawa whose daughter is attending the camp!
I'm sure she will rapidly become your daughter-in-law, Igor. Your wedding present will be a gift-wrapped 70-200mm f2.8.
08-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #4470

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Last week I attended a trade show in Chicago. Saw the customary crowd of CaNikons in a fair amount and a lot of cell phones-as-camera examples, but no single Pentax both during the show and during my outings in the city. I didn't bring mine either but used my cell phone camera instead. No need to risk my treasure.
I was probably downtown taking pictures with my K-5IIs . I actually saw a K10D at the Field Museum, but didn't talk to the owner.