Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #4576
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I didn't mean to start an argument, but it seems to me that one should come somewhat prepared for an event at which photos might be desired. I can see using a cell phone, since it is compact and can even be used for a telephone. But a tablet? Rather large to lug around, and I suspect that owners of such probably have a cell phone.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have occasionally used a cell phone when I'd left my real camera home. Case in point, last week we went to a lecture at the Atlanta History Center. Before the lecture we went to a barbecue "joint" (in midtown Atlanta? Really good "que," btw) In the parking lot we saw a fruiting body of a fungus or mushroom which must have been 8 or 10 inches across, and looked like a pecan pie! So I used my cell to take a picture, which I will send to the Georgia Mushroom Club, of which we are members.
Yep absolutely no issue Just that of course we complain ourselve that many other photographers can't understand us "why are you shooting Pentax ?" while the gear is so terrible... Apparantly some even get some remarks (I never got one honestly) and they don't like it. Personnally the last thing I want to bother a friend or person I meet in real life is to ask for their camera brand. And on photo sharing website, the last thing people are interrested in are actually gear.

So we complain of some offencive people that maybe have to justify their own choice of something... But we also criticise the others. Like the people that take photo with hood reverted, like all the terrible shots Canikon shooters get or how terrible it is to use a tablet for shooting pictures . There likely a good reason the tablet was used. maybe it is only to show the tablet to everybody and feel better. Maybe it is because that their only camera anyway or because a friend already borrowed the main camera We don't know

While I surely agree on the last point that it look strange, well everyone is free and the worse might be, they may manage a better photo than myself with my K3 This happen !

10-30-2016, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4577
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just recently had the experience someone mentioned I think on this thread a while ago. Was out hiking when rain came. Passed a person who looked surprised/concerned that I had my camera out. Told him. "It's OK, it's a Pentax!"

Is it sinful to feel smug sometimes?
10-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #4578
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I took a look at my priorities before investing into a new system after deciding to leave the 4/3 system. During those times I also looked at Pentax as a company with inferior products. But after reading the reviews and feedbacks I decide to take the plunge with the k-5II. Since then, I never regretted my decision. You have to understand Pentax to like it.
10-31-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #4579

Some weeks ago I spent a few hours at the botanical gardens in Berlin. It was a Friday autumn afternoon and the weather was dry but grey and boring, so not many people around. I counted 6 cameras in total, all of them DSLRs: 3 unidentified, 1 Canon, 2 Pentax. Adding my own P30t to that, I'd say that's a pretty good ratio

10-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #4580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at my local processing lab a couple weeks ago picking up some film I had developed and a guy in there had a ME Super.

If I do see a Pentax in the wild, it's usually a film body (35mm or MF) and less often a DSLR.

Phil.
10-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #4581

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I can see using a cell phone, since it is compact and can even be used for a telephone.
I actually relay on my Moto X 3rd Gen on my business travels. If it were vacations I use my Pentax. The Moto X takes amazing photos. The people that have seen them fully agree with me. Some of them know that I have a K-3 which takes excellent photos that I have shown them too but still are greatly impressed with the quality of the photos taken with this phone. I believe there is space for both options in my life.

Norberto
10-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #4582
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Hey...no mocking Storm Trooper Pentaxes or I'll have you transported to the nearest sarlacc nest and thrown in like the rottting corpse of a womp rat!
Jabba, is that you?

11-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #4583
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Why do you cover the names?
I shoot what I want. I tend to use my Pentax. I don't want to advertise to the "potential" thief that I have a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc, that they were looking for so..... No name, no advertising.

I also don't like to have someone say, oh, a Pentax, psshhh. I like that the came up and talked to me about shooting, not what tool I'm shooting with.
11-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #4584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aT0Mx Quote
I shoot what I want. I tend to use my Pentax. I don't want to advertise to the "potential" thief that I have a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc, that they were looking for so..... No name, no advertising.

I also don't like to have someone say, oh, a Pentax, psshhh. I like that the came up and talked to me about shooting, not what tool I'm shooting with.
I can relate to that, but I've sometimes noticed that the camera with the name taped over the pentaprism or blackened letters gets more attention out of curiosity. Very common in movies where it's not product placement and sort of like drivers that remove the Honda or Audi moniker from the back of the car....true why should we advertise, but in going stealth, it can also attract attention....customized car.

I do appreciate that cameras don't use glued on badges or stickers.
11-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #4585
Veteran Member

Was looking at why others do it:

QuoteQuote:
Covering brand-name and markings on your gear:
  • to prevent other photographers gear-checking on you
  • to let people think your /enter less popular brand-name here/ is a Nikon (if they don't recognise it by its design)
  • to avoid annoying questions about your gear, even if it raises other questions about why the tape coverings
  • not to let brand names show as reflections in close-up photography of reflective objects
  • not to let your camera brand show in other photographers' photos
  • not to appear as a walking advertisement board (incl. two previous list items)
  • to possibly prevent impulse-driven thievery
  • to possibly prevent robbery of known and wanted brand in places where networked criminals show up after being informed by the little ones about your gear.
  • not to scare wild-life with the shining white logos on black surface
  • in situations when you are already marketing or otherwise tied to another brand (toothpaste or car-maker etc.) which happens not to be the brand of your camera.
I agree with most of these, but some....
11-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #4586
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's see here... (my opinions only, of course )

>to prevent other photographers gear-checking on you
Those that care enough will ask anyway.

>to let people think your /enter less popular brand-name here/ is a Nikon (if they don't recognise it by its design)
Sure

>to avoid annoying questions about your gear, even if it raises other questions about why the tape coverings
Again, those that care enough will ask, and now you have the addition of those that wonder about the tape.

>not to let brand names show as reflections in close-up photography of reflective objects
Probably the most legit one

>not to let your camera brand show in other photographers' photos
Sure

>not to appear as a walking advertisement board (incl. two previous list items)
Sure

>to possibly prevent impulse-driven thievery
lol

>to possibly prevent robbery of known and wanted brand in places where networked criminals show up after being informed by the little ones about your gear.
see above

>not to scare wild-life with the shining white logos on black surface
I guess, if you're all camo'd up you would cover the white bits too.

>in situations when you are already marketing or otherwise tied to another brand (toothpaste or car-maker etc.) which happens not to be the brand of your camera.
Not really relevant, as it happens with all brands in advertising. Unless you work in marketing of [random company] and have a personal camera, in which case it doesn't really apply. Or if you work for another brand of camera, in which case LOL.
11-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #4587
Pentaxian

LOL for me too.
Typical scary owner behaviour, that signals all around you are wearing "Canikon highly valuable stuff"...
Definitely useless, and even dangerous, when it unsticks a Pentax !
11-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #4588
Veteran Member

I prefer the option if a thieve see the camera with tape, they could presume the camera is in bad shape and not very good profitable in the market, or they could assume your gear is old and pass to other photog with shiny black cameras and white lenses attached

11-01-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #4589
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
LOL for me too.
Typical scary owner behaviour, that signals all around you are wearing "Canikon highly valuable stuff"...
Definitely useless, and even dangerous, when it unsticks a Pentax !
At the Formula 1 there were a lot of DSLR camera owners, all men, All Canikonys. After a while I moved to a spot for a different vantage point which was beside a few of these guys and one happened to look at my gear and said.... "Pentax? I didn't even know any of those existed any more!"
I said "Really? Because this one is only a little over a yr old." I told them that was ok if that was what people thought since that meant my gear was safer than everyone else's. If anything I managed to amuse and confuse a bunch of older guys...
11-01-2016, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #4590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
After a while I moved to a spot for a different vantage point which was beside a few of these guys and one happened to look at my gear and said.... "Pentax? I didn't even know any of those existed any more!"
I find those kind of comments from other photographers annoying...it's hard to not feel it's a condescending judgement.

Imagine the comments I get with my Pentax 645 MF film!!! "Do they still make film?" (No, I'm just posing with this to make conversation.) "What IS that????" (It's a radar gun catching speeding photons.) "Why is it SO large?" (Actually this is MEDIUM format...you want to see large?). And then of course the usual boast about a Hasselblad, Rollei, Bronica, or Mamiya. (Yeah, I guess they're all hiding in a climate controlled studio or in a display case....).

I don't consider myself a Pentax elitist (because I recognize the pros and cons of other brands) but I do appreciate the specialness of the gear and the photographers that know it.