Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2016, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #4591
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I find those kind of comments from other photographers annoying...it's hard to not feel it's a condescending judgement.

Imagine the comments I get with my Pentax 645 MF film!!! "Do they still make film?" (No, I'm just posing with this to make conversation.) "What IS that????" (It's a radar gun catching speeding photons.) "Why is it SO large?" (Actually this is MEDIUM format...you want to see large?). And then of course the usual boast about a Hasselblad, Rollei, Bronica, or Mamiya. (Yeah, I guess they're all hiding in a climate controlled studio or in a display case....).

I don't consider myself a Pentax elitist (because I recognize the pros and cons of other brands) but I do appreciate the specialness of the gear and the photographers that know it.
The look of disbelief, the amazed amusement, (like seeing an Ivory Billed Woodpecker) at first he thought I had film, and a backpack of vintage gear to go with the camera like I broke into the Smithsonian or something ( or EBay), and and and being used by ..... a girl..... Aghhhhh. It was a fun day.

11-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #4592

QuoteOriginally posted by aT0Mx Quote
Was looking at why others do it:

[/LIST]I agree with most of these, but some....
I do proud myself of my K-3 and the Pentax brand, and wish to let whoever wants to know how good this camera/brand is, that there are other great brands out there besides CaNikon. On the other hand, any kind of DSLR camera will attract thieves no matter what brand you use. They might be disilusioned afterwards but the impulse to steal no matter what brand you carry will be there.

This are my 2 cents.

Norberto
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #4593
Pentaxian

I've used Pentax since the 'K' mount came out, always purchasing second-hand, slowly working through lenses as I could afford better ones, and finally a DSLR (plus the five film bodies I still have). I look at all the dissatisfied people glaring enviously at their neighbour's 'new model' Canonykon, when they want to 'upgrade' their equipment - and I look at the shop windows and on-line stores selling gear bought recently, then traded in at a fraction of its original cost, to keep up with the Jones's (Not the Armstrong-Jones, of course.

And when I meet a fellow Pentax user, we greet each other like long-lost friends, both proud to be part of an exclusive club - we may even go for a drink together. And no-one looks envious, because we're content with what we have. I do find it hard to get second hand kit nowadays, though - I suppose it's because other Pentax users are satisfied too.

Tony
11-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #4594
Pentaxian

sherrvonne

Good post - like it!

11-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #4595
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Enjoyment in life is connected to your type of decision to be satisfied.
11-04-2016, 02:41 AM - 3 Likes   #4596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was reminded recently of a little story of the rare Pentax owner in a club I once attended. He was out with a group of other photographers with their 'superior' cameras. They all got splashed with mud when a car speed past them. Panic all round, except, and you probably know where this is going, the Pentax owner (k-5) casually tipped his bottle of water over his camera to wash it clean and then got on with watching the others panic.There was a stunned silence amongst the group. I can only imagine the inner pleasure he took in this.
11-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #4597
Veteran Member

In my college's Beginning Photography class, We have something like 15 Canon users, 3 Nikon users, 1 Sony user, and I am the only Pentax user. My professor mainly uses Canon DSLRs but from time to time he would use his Pentax 6x7 for his own work. He said that I am the only one who uses only Pentax cameras.

11-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #4598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
In my college's Beginning Photography class, We have something like 15 Canon users, 3 Nikon users, 1 Sony user, and I am the only Pentax user. My professor mainly uses Canon DSLRs but from time to time he would use his Pentax 6x7 for his own work. He said that I am the only one who uses only Pentax cameras.
Just curious, what college?
11-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #4599
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Just curious, what college?
Skidmore College, should be very close to you.
11-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #4600
Pentaxian

I tape my gear. Even that red/green ring on the lens and the strap... started out way back (film) because the camera needed it after a drop. But I have spend a lot of time in, let's say, less well off parts of cities. So when I got new gear I taped it.

High contrast logos catch the eye. It's what they are designed to do. That's bad for my photos and bad for my health. Behind my arm on black clothes few notice the camera or consider it valuable.

I also tend to avoid logos on other stuff as a matter of personal preference.
11-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #4601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Skidmore College, should be very close to you.
Thanks for the info. Its about 2 hours, dead north!
I asked as some schools have a photo cage where equipment is loaned. The brand is usually limited to one or two brands and Pentax is NOT one of them!

Have fun in the class!
11-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #4602
Veteran Member

Today I've seen a 645z medium format at Photo Service (Montreal), I noticed this majestic beast while I was waiting to drop a roll of 35mm.
11-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #4603
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Its about 2 hours, dead north!
I asked as some schools have a photo cage where equipment is loaned. The brand is usually limited to one or two brands and Pentax is NOT one of them!

Have fun in the class!
Our Photo Cage has a Hassie scanner, and everything else is about all Canon. The Media Center is exclusively Nikon.
11-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #4604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They put the money where it is needed (Canikon). The photo cage in Rochester is mostly all Canon also. Some Nikon too I think...
11-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #4605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They put the money where it is needed (Canikon). The photo cage in Rochester is mostly all Canon also. Some Nikon too I think...
Dave, which college/uni in Rochester? My son is an Electrical Mechanical Engineering major at RIT and shoots a K-50.