Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #4696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Another day in the garden...

The Orchid show at the NY Botanical Gardens ended yesterday and my wife, daughter and I went down. It is always a treat to see the displays and blossoms on these incredible plants! After we left the Arboretum, we saw the line wrapped around the building to get in (why I prefer going real early, and we got there late for us, about noon). The most popular camera was the ubiquitous CAMERA PHONE. Then there was the usual smattering of Canikons. I saw one Sony and two Pentaxes, my K-1 and my Q10 loaned to my daughter.

I had a great new macro light (LED, three light, Mcoplus LED Macro Camera Flash Speedlite Flexible Metal Hose for Canon Nikon | eBay) that I am really beginning to like. It caught some attention without being obnoxious. It works well with the K-1, so don't let the Canon/Nikon thing on the link dissuade you !

04-10-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #4697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I had a great new macro light (LED, three light, Mcoplus LED Macro Camera Flash Speedlite Flexible Metal Hose for Canon Nikon | eBay) that I am really beginning to like. It caught some attention without being obnoxious. It works well with the K-1, so don't let the Canon/Nikon thing on the link dissuade you !
Well if that doesn't look like an alien!
04-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #4698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
And people ask why Pentax would make the Q
Since I am "retired", when our older daughter was moving back to Indiana from San Diego this past November, I took the train out there and then served as her co-driver for the trip back here. I wanted to minimize the space I would occupy in her car, so I fit everything I was carrying in a backpack, except for the small messenger bag used for my Q-7 kit.
04-14-2017, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #4699
Veteran Member

I went to take some sunrise photos in the Humber park in Toronto this morning. Really beautiful sunrise it was. On my way out of the park I saw two gentlemen with cameras and tripods. Then I saw the familiar red letters on the camera strap. He was carrying a K5 and we chatted a bit. So a shout out to any Torontonian pentaxians who were out early this morning

04-14-2017, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #4700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Slight tangent, I was digging though another forum and spotted this for sale. I didn't see many Canikon equivalents...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2ISH9Q/?tag=pentaxforums-20&tag=097-20&ascsubt...1_3_3n1_1dhg_8
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Slight tangent, I was digging though another forum and spotted this for sale. I didn't see many Canikon equivalents...

amazon.com: I Shoot People Camera Photography Novelty Funny Mug Tea Coffee Gift Office Cup ...: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&
A few years ago I purchased a hoodie from teesprings with that saying on it and a camera, but the camera was a generic drawing, wasn't a Pentax. I've had a couple strange looks when wearing it.
04-14-2017, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #4701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like this one, LOL
amazon.com: What The f/Stop Camera 15oz Ceramic Mug- Photographers Coffee Cup: Home & Kitchen?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-25-2017, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #4702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax rare

My unofficial count from Yellowstone this weekend...
Canon about 3 to 1 over Nikon.
I saw one Sony.
I had the only Pentax.
Too many iphones and selfie sticks to count....

04-27-2017, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #4703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4 days in visiting the towns of cities of southern Portugal. Total: one Pentax, a K-50, carried by a Frenchwoman. Unfortunately her husband had a Canon thing round his next. I can't possibly see how they get on ;-)

I did not take any Pentax gear as on holiday I find the Ricoh GR to be an exceptionally good camera for my needs. With very little French she and I could just point and nod approvingly. Fortunately my wife, who's fluent in French, helped explain how sad I was, I think, as I've no idea what she actually said...
04-27-2017, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #4704
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen a Pentax in ..... almost forever! We're leaving Monday for a week in a cabin at Fort Mountain State Park near Chatsworth, GA. While there we'll hike, take pictures, and enjoy nearby Chattanooga, a really pleasant city. I plan to take, in addition to my K 5 kit, my mighty LX with winder and the Intimadator - the 50mm f 1.2. Yes, indeedy! The LX should be fun for street shooting, and might get some comments.
04-27-2017, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #4705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The university that contracts the company I work for had a huge event last night that had our mayor, governor, and all of the big wigs from campus. There were 4 pro photographers there and every one of them had Canon gear. Towards the end of the event the VPO of the company I work for showed up to get a few food and action shots for our company newsletter. Low and behold, he was shooting with a K1 and DFA 24-70. He was a bit stunned that I knew exactly what he was shooting with. This man was already sad that I was leaving to go back to the northeast and he is the biggest reason have the options I have in that area, but now he's losing a fellow Pentaxian. Anyway, I got to finally play with a K1 and I fell in love with it.
04-27-2017, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #4706
Veteran Member

This is a great day, I saw a Pentax in the wild for the first time I was walking on McGill street (Montréal) and for half a second a Pentax M flashed before my eyes.
04-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #4707
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen quite a few around in various places in GB, France and Spain. The latest, over the Easter holiday in Penzance, was a young women, probably in her late teens, with a silver MX around her neck.
04-28-2017, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #4708

K-3 at the beach? No problem.

Last week I spent some days in South Padre Island, TX. Almost everybody was snapping with cell phones, one nondescript point-and-shoot, and a young woman carrying a DSLR covered by a hat. I wondered if she was ashamed of her camera or was only convering it against the sea spray of the breaking waves in the beach. Besides this, I was proudly sporting my WR Pentax K-3. ;-)

Cheers

Norberto
05-01-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #4709
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I was at the NY Botanical gardens again this past weekend (Saturday AND Sunday) photographing the Spring blooms. Everything was popping, even the azaleas, which usually blossom in two weeks, were almost in full bloom, and many others. The gardens were packed for the blooms and the wine tasting event they had. Over the course of two days, I saw one Ipad shooter (large one at that) a gazillion phone photogs (one person was capturing every blossom on a bush), a few Olympus mini's, a Mamiya 330 TLR with a flash (metz), a few Sony a series, a few point and shoot but mostly Canicons (more Nikon than Canon it seemed). One of the people had a Nikon with the white logo letters blacked out (ashamed???). I still had the only Pentax (K-1) on day one and the only other Pentax was the K-01 my daughter brought (borrowed from me) on day two.

This must be a REAL exclusive club I have fallen into!
05-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #4710
Pentaxian

Yesterday on Chausey island, there were at least two Pentax K-1 shooters.
The only other DSLR to be seen there was a Canon APS-C.
So given the people present there, you would assume Pentax is THE world leading photog brand, if any proportion !