Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #4711
Pentaxian

Was at an airshow yesterday and saw a lot of DSLRs - mainly Canon, I think - (and even some people trying to shoot flying planes with phones ) but, very late on, saw another chap(I had my K3 & K5) with 2x Pentaxes (1x K3-II & 1x K3, I think) although I never got a close look or a chance to talk to him.

05-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #4712
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was an airshow in Oz yesterday - I didn't see another Pentax anywhere. I was looking.
05-08-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Last week I spent some days in South Padre Island, TX. Almost everybody was snapping with cell phones, one nondescript point-and-shoot, and a young woman carrying a DSLR covered by a hat. I wondered if she was ashamed of her camera or was only convering it against the sea spray of the breaking waves in the beach. Besides this, I was proudly sporting my WR Pentax K-3. ;-)

Cheers

Norberto
Took the K3 and 18-135 lens to Palacios. Was on rock pier when a big wave splashed me and the camera. My aunt said, "Oh no, Oh no!". I smiled and patted it off with a small towel, "It's ok, all good" lol. Had to use lens cleaner and microfiber for lens, that was the greasiest sea water ever.
05-08-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #4714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Had to use lens cleaner and microfiber for lens, that was the greasiest sea water ever.
Should have reported the nearest ship for discharging waste oil.

05-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #4715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
I read somewhere in this thread that Pentax is more common in Japan than in other countries. However, after traveling for three weeks around Japan, I find this to be untrue. Today, Pentax cameras are just as rare in Japan as in the USA. I saw lots of Canons, some Nikons, and a variety of other Japanese cameras. Apart from my own K50, I saw just one Pentax, an ME. Must have been a real diehard Pentaxian. I think that Pentax is withering on the vine, and that Canon, and maybe Nikon, will be the big boys in the sophisticated digital cameras in the future. I think that people who buy Pentax are old timers who have collected classic Takumar lenses over the years and are still enjoying the quality photos that they take. I hope that Pentax cameras continue to be manufactured but I have grave doubts that this will happen. Alas.
05-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #4716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I think that people who buy Pentax are old timers who have collected classic Takumar lenses over the years and are still enjoying the quality photos that they take. I hope that Pentax cameras continue to be manufactured but I have grave doubts that this will happen. Alas.
As a high school photography teacher, the only old timers that I know of (that shoots Pentax DSLRs) personally is a colleague (in his 40's) my brother (60's) and me (50's)....and none of us collect Takumar lenses. On the other hand, the majority of Pentax shooters that I know are tweeners and teenagers between 14-19 years old.

The Generation Z seem more out of the box than Millennials and where I used to only see Canikon in my classes, Pentax now represents 5-15%.

History has shown it is just as likely for a big company with huge operating expenses to go under as a small one that is well managed.
05-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #4717
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I met an older gentleman using a pentax DSLR at the Kansas City Zoo on Tuesday.

he had a Pentax zoom ?? to 300 mm, can't remember what the camera body was

We do exist

05-11-2017, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #4718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
History has shown it is just as likely for a big company with huge operating expenses to go under as a small one that is well managed.
Yes, such companies include KODAK, Montgomery Ward, GAF (film), Enron, Worldcom, Lehman Brothers, can you name some more? Too big to fail does not exist!
05-11-2017, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #4719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Yes, such companies include KODAK, Montgomery Ward, GAF (film), Enron, Worldcom, Lehman Brothers, can you name some more? Too big to fail does not exist!
Yes, big and small companies do fail. In the photography area, some of the quality camera companies that disappeared include Kodak, Minolta, Konica, Exacta, Reid (some say the Reid III, a copy of the Leica IIIB, was actually superior to the Leica), Voightlander, Yashica, etc. In some photo classes I hear that Pentax 35 mm cameras are very popular. This is probably because in their heyday these Pentanes were the best around, solidly built, the most common, and reliable. Since they are plentiful and cheap it's no wonder that they are still being used. Let's hope that Pentax survives.
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM - 3 Likes   #4720
Veteran Member

Today, I finally become a "Spotable Pentaxian". When I bought my K-50, the Pentax logo was black on black : / I always felt a bit of sadness about that because I couldn't show my colors to the world... But today I found out that the previous owner had simply painted the logo! 30 toothpicks and a bit of rubbing alcohol later and ...

Voila!

05-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #4721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I found out that the previous owner had simply painted the logo
Was the previous owner ashamed of being in the Pentax clan??? Or maybe they just got tired of explaining to people about Pentax, and no, it is not a new camera company!
05-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #4722
Veteran Member

Was the previous owner ashamed of being in the Pentax clan??? Or maybe they just got tired of explaining to people about Pentax, and no, it is not a new camera company!
In days gone by some people would 'disguise' their high end lenses by blacking out or scraping away the recognizable brand name to deter would be thieves. I can't say if it was effective or just paranoid, but it was common enough that I've come across a few used lenses on ebay that have been altered in such ways.

I've also been heard of some people blacking out their cameras to prevent distractions on very reflective surfaces. I once read about someone who blacked out their camera, painted their studio matte black, and also dressed in all black to prevent any reflections in what they were shooting (pottery, I believe). The only problem I see is that leaves a reflection of a floating disembodied head and hands!
05-30-2017, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #4723
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A pentax in the last episode of Dr Who

Hello, I saw a Pentax camera in the last episode of Dr Who last saturday on BBC1
05-30-2017, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #4724
Veteran Member

Or maybe they just got tired of explaining to people about Pentax, and no, it is not a new camera company!
It's funny, if someone asks me about it they start explaining to me that Pentax has been around a long time and made great cameras.
Not quite sure why they assume that I wouldn't know anything about what I'm carrying?
05-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #4725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my small camera club I am now the only Pentax user, we had one other but she moved. A new member was asking about DSLR's one meeting. She was shooting a point and shoot Canon of older vintage. I showed her my Pentax K-S2 that I had with me. She was VERY interested in it, the sensor size, the features, the weight, the articulated screen, the price of them was a key feature she was very attracted to. Others showed her their canikons and sony cameras, but she kept coming back to the Pentax! I thought for certain she was going to buy one for herself.

The next meeting we had she shows up with a Nikon. She couldn't find a Pentax at any store she went to, only canikons and Sony.