Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #4756
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holiday update #2

- Found a t-shirt with cameras on it, one of which was a Pentax k1000.

- Saw a white Pentax Q (I think) last night
- Saw a young man walk around with a pretty weathered leather pentax camera case with maybe a spotmatic in it.

Got a few people commenting on my camera too actually.

Pentax may be doomed but not forgotten.

08-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #4757
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to buy a black sport shirt with a Pentax logo on the shoulder or left side of the chest. I can't seem to find one for years.
08-06-2017, 05:23 AM   #4758
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I would like to buy a black sport shirt with a Pentax logo on the shoulder or left side of the chest. I can't seem to find one for years.
on the back perhaps this could be printed

" Rarity equals Quality "

isn't the forum running a contest

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/348879-2017-pf-t-shirt-contest.html

perhaps someone with talent could submit a design

Pentax Forum and Pentax logo on the shoulder or left side of the chest and my idea on the back???

better be quick, contest says it ends today

2017 PF T-Shirt Contest!

Our annual T-shirt contest is back for a 2017 edition! This year, we're going to keep things simple:

Theme: cameras, lenses, and/or photography, incorporating the PF logo (download here) - let your imagination rule

Deadline: July 31st August 6th, by the end of the day your time

To enter: post each submission in a reply to this thread, as an attachment (be prepared to e-mail a high-res version if you're a winner)

You can choose to enter as many designs as you'd like.

Prizes: Each winner will each receive two free shirts shipped to their door, plus a Loyal Site Supporter forum account upgrade

Requirements and restrictions:
Important! Your design can't have more than 10 colors (preferably fewer), so avoid the use of photos
Only the central area on the front of the shirt will be printable. We can't print on the sides, above the neckline, or on the sleeves
Unedited photos can NOT be printed - you must either vectorize the image or reduce the number colors
Your design must include the Pentax Forums logo. You may alter the colors or make minor changes / additions
You may use specific Pentax product names and product logos (i.e. K-1, K-3, etc), and traces of official product photos, or any product photo found on PF's homepage
You may not use any other photo or work subject to copyright, without permission
You may not use the official Pentax logo font (type out Pentax instead)
Once we're closed to submissions, we'll have members vote to select the winning designs. We plan to pick two winners, but may opt for more if there are many exceptional designs.

I'm very excited to see what you guys will come up with, and I'm sure many other forum members are, too. Good luck and let your imagination go wild!

This year, we will continue T-shirt production through Teespring, who we've been very happy with since they were able to slash global shipping costs.

To get you started, here are four top designs from last year:

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/348879-2017-pf-t-s...#ixzz4oyfuoNwZ

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-06-2017 at 05:29 AM.
08-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #4759
Veteran Member

I was walking an irrigation ditch near my home yesterday morning testing out my Sigma 24 ƒ2.8. I bumped into someone who asked me about my Pentax, and she reminisced about a K1000 she used to have. She had a Rolleiflex SLR (not sure the exact model), so I figured the rarity of Pentax was nothing compared to what she had.

08-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #4760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year I had a T-shirt design (not a winner ) that had the slogan "Pentax. You can't buy it at the big box store." This was an allusion to the rarity of our chosen cameras.

In my local camera club there are exactly two of us with Pentax.

Rare? Well, sorta.
08-06-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #4761
PDL
Pentaxian

During my two month vacation in Europe, I saw two maybe three Pentax shooters wandering the streets.

In Prague I helped a French woman figure out how to use her Canon to take a movie. At lake Bled I took a picture of an Asian man who promptly deleted the images I took and handed the camera, a Sony something, to a iPhone user to take a picture. But the kicker was in Cracow (how the Polish people spell it) who chastised me for putting a Pentax neck strap on a Nikon. He said that he was a Nikon shooter and he took it as an offence to put a Pentax strap on "his" brand. I showed him that I was shooting a K-3II and he was taken aback. He said that he did not know you could put a Nikon lens on a Pentax. I was shooting with the 16-50 DA* that has a gold stripe - which he said "Only Nikon is allowed to put gold stripes on their lenses". When I showed him I was all Pentax he apologized saying "no offense intended", being nice while on vacation, I said none taken.

I travel 7-8000 miles from home and the one true fool I run into was one of my own countrymen.
08-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #4762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

America, what a country! And people wonder why we have a reputation for being rude tourists!

08-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #4763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
During my two month vacation in Europe, I saw two maybe three Pentax shooters wandering the streets.

In Prague I helped a French woman figure out how to use her Canon to take a movie. At lake Bled I took a picture of an Asian man who promptly deleted the images I took and handed the camera, a Sony something, to a iPhone user to take a picture. But the kicker was in Cracow (how the Polish people spell it) who chastised me for putting a Pentax neck strap on a Nikon. He said that he was a Nikon shooter and he took it as an offence to put a Pentax strap on "his" brand. I showed him that I was shooting a K-3II and he was taken aback. He said that he did not know you could put a Nikon lens on a Pentax. I was shooting with the 16-50 DA* that has a gold stripe - which he said "Only Nikon is allowed to put gold stripes on their lenses". When I showed him I was all Pentax he apologized saying "no offense intended", being nice while on vacation, I said none taken.

I travel 7-8000 miles from home and the one true fool I run into was one of my own countrymen.
How many people do you see with Sigma, Sony or Olympus cameras. Not many I would guess. A few years back there was a guy with a Sony camera in my Lighting class. OMG I could not believe how toy-like his camera looked, I felt pity on him...
08-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #4764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City yesterday. Also went to a botanical garden in the Bronx. Walked through Times Square. I maybe saw a guy with a K-1, I don't know what that thing was exactly. Otherwise mine was the only Pentax. I saw a couple Sony's but they were both around the neck of the same obnoxious dude that couldn't stop taking very close pictures of Van Gogh's "Starry Night". I did see a lot of Olympus m4/3rds kit as well as Canon and Nikon. The Oly gear was a bit of a surprise.
08-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #4765
Pentaxian

"Only Nikon is allowed to put gold stripes on their lenses"
08-07-2017, 01:13 AM   #4766
Pentaxian

Better tell that to Sigma and get them to stop putting those stripes on their high-end lenses

Not really commenting on people from the US but most (there were a couple of notable exceptions) that I have met/worked with have been very pleasant.
08-07-2017, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4767
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was shooting wildlife with a bunch of other shooters when one with a Nikon D5 and 200-500mm f5.6 pointed to my K-S2 and said he bought the KP and most of the Limiteds because they're cool.

08-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #4768
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Better tell that to Sigma and get them to stop putting those stripes on their high-end lenses

Not really commenting on people from the US but most (there were a couple of notable exceptions) that I have met/worked with have been very pleasant.
If he would've met me he'd be offended as I will be the guy who used Canon lenses on a Pentax. I always carry my HD 55-300 WR with red rings. I may buy a 16-85 if I have the money and it also has red rings. I like the red rings. Come on Pentax give us more red rings. If it's not for everyone, at least do it for me. Pleeeeeeeeaaaase.
08-07-2017, 08:58 PM - 4 Likes   #4769
PDL
Pentaxian

Follow up's

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
How many people do you see with Sigma, Sony or Olympus cameras. Not many I would guess. A few years back there was a guy with a Sony camera in my Lighting class. OMG I could not believe how toy-like his camera looked, I felt pity on him...
I did see quite a few Sony cameras, mostly on the Asian bus loads of people who would stand in line to shoot the same thing. Sort of interesting to see a line of people waiting to shoot the same scene, there were some near fights when someone took too much time or the clock was moving and the automaton was done.

I had several instances where people who would stop in front of me (while I was waiting or focusing on something interesting), stop take a picture, turn around look at me, turn around and take another picture then chimp for 30 seconds. A lot of rude people, not all of them were Americans.

I had several instances where I took a picture of something and had people run up next to me. Look in the direction of what I was shooting, look at me, look again at what I was shooting and shake their heads as if to say "nothing to see here, move along" only to have the one guy who was the person who directed poses for the group start to yell and get upset that everyone was not taking the same picture that I just did. There was almost always one person, without a camera, who would direct the "poses" for everyone else to take pictures of. And the people with selfie sticks who would walk around and smile at their camera while they walked. Most of the time they did not look at their surroundings, just the little tiny picture of themselves on their phone. Suffice it to say, I am NOT a bus tour person nor am I a person who takes selfies (Victoria Arms in Oxford, for all you Inspector Morse/Lewis fans, was an aberration, I took two selfies down on the picnic tables)

As for other camera brands, it was mostly Canon then Nikon with Olympus, Fuji and a few and far between Lumix/Panasonic with one lone guy (in Munich) shooting a Leica - go figure. The majority of the people were shooting with phones and iPads, heck I even took out my Lumina and took beer /food pictures to send back home and my wife used her Lumina exclusively.

As an aside, when my son and I go down to the Pike Place Market in Seattle, we stop somewhere in the crowd and lookup at the ceiling. We point at the plain painted ceiling and take out our cameras point up to the ceiling and turn around behind us without taking a shot. I should take a picture of the crowd one of these days, a mix of people looking at the blank ceiling, some pointing and always a few with their phones out. Gawd it is hilarious. I did that a couple of times on the trip with similar results, but taking images of people at a disadvantage is not something I normally tend to do.

Last edited by PDL; 08-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
08-08-2017, 03:00 AM - 3 Likes   #4770
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

As an aside, when my son and I go down to the Pike Place Market in Seattle, we stop somewhere in the crowd and lookup at the ceiling. We point at the plain painted ceiling . . .

once I took a number of kids into northern Ontario

we were swimming and when they took a break, I took a short walk along the shore line and then stood still and pointed to the ground

the kids gathered around and I asked if they saw it

they looked and one ask

what are we looking at

I said

well I don't know what they call it here in Canada but back home, the folks I know call it -

mud

they all tried to throw me into the lake

to this day I don't understand why the "mob" formed and took that action