Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #4771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, I never see another Pentax camera of any colour or flavour, when I'm out photographing with my 'proper' photo kit. Nor for that matter do I ever see any other camera brand (or photographer). Maybe Pentax users are rather secretive as well as been select ;-) That is why we don't get noticed, perhaps ...

08-08-2017, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4772

Google says it.
Attached Images

08-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #4773
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nikono Quote
Google says it.
Indeed!

And Fuji's numbers are even worse (13.5 million) and Olympus is rarest of all (2.9 million).
08-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #4774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Browsing at a Goodwill in Hooksett, New Hampshire they had a $10 K1000 but the shutter had issues above 1/250". They also had $15 K1000 with a 50mm f/2 and camera case, but the light meter didn't work. This one was the most tempting just for the lens and I could just use the Sunny 16 rule. They also had an ME Super with a Takumar zoom for $10, but again light meter was dead...tested all three with a good battery.

Also had a moment of hope at Concord Camera as their awning on Main Street says "Promaster"....but inside it's just digital printing with no camera equipment.

08-08-2017, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #4775
Veteran Member

Just for reference I got home from an awesome trip to Washington state, I paid close attention to the cameras people were using... The winner was Canon closely followed by Nikon. Did see several Sonys and a few Olympus and Fuji models too. Most surprising of all was I saw several Pentax shooters as many as I did Olympus and Fuji.

Met one cat from down under at Olympic NP with a K1! Total tally of Pentax shooters over the week was nearly 10. Honestly I lost count! So yes we are rare but out there, even had a nice chat with the K1 owner as he saw my K3II in hand!

Last edited by gm4life; 08-08-2017 at 10:35 PM.
08-09-2017, 12:47 AM   #4776
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
But the kicker was in Cracow (how the Polish people spell it)
Are you sure about that?

08-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #4777
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
once I took a number of kids into northern Ontario

we were swimming and when they took a break, I took a short walk along the shore line and then stood still and pointed to the ground

the kids gathered around and I asked if they saw it

they looked and one ask

what are we looking at

I said

well I don't know what they call it here in Canada but back home, the folks I know call it -

mud

they all tried to throw me into the lake

to this day I don't understand why the "mob" formed and took that action
Northern Ontario... surprised the mosquitos didn't eat you alive. That's my old stomping grounds.

08-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #4778
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Northern Ontario... surprised the mosquitos didn't eat you alive. That's my old stomping grounds. The White River 2008 - YouTube
it was somewhere east of Lake Nipigon, toward Geraldton Ontario, north of Highway 11
08-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #4779
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Are you sure about that?
Yup Krakow or Cracow? | Cracow Life

I guess it depends on who is in charge of the signs or Map provider.

cracow - Bing Maps

Google Maps

Either way it is a really nice place to have a early summer vacation. When we were in country, LR on my old laptop showed Cracow in the Map Module (Google Maps).
08-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #4780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
it was somewhere east of Lake Nipigon, toward Geraldton Ontario, north of Highway 11
I know the area a bit. In highschool, we had one of our highschool 'regional' Curling bonspiels in Geraldton. Took the back road from White River through Manitouwadge / Caramat over to Highway 11.
08-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #4781
Pentaxian

Yup Krakow or Cracow? | Cracow Life

I guess it depends on who is in charge of the signs or Map provider.

cracow - Bing Maps

Google Maps

Either way it is a really nice place to have a early summer vacation. When we were in country, LR on my old laptop showed Cracow in the Map Module (Google Maps).
From your link.

"Other languages have always had their own spellings of Krakow: Cracow, Cracovie, Krakau, and yet to Poles the city has remained Kraków."

The Bing maps link is to a place in Austria.

Did you know it is illegal in Poland for a pedestrian to cross a road on a red light, so they wait even if the road is completely clear.

08-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #4782
Veteran Member

Shortened
Reminds me to never ever book a tour like that. Ever.

That does not sound like anything is enjoy. Well, maybe the last part with the ceiling, in pretty sure I would find that quite amusing, but still not amusing enough to make up for the rest.
08-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #4783
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it appears that my experiences is out of the ordinary

only be keeping track since May of 2017 but I have found 4 other photographers using Pentax 2 in Yellowstone

1 at the Topeka Zoo

I at the Kansas City Zoo

that appears to be a high number for such a short period of time

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
08-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #4784
Veteran Member

In a crowd of maybe 5k people a couple weeks ago, I spotted two Pentax cameras - a blue K-S1 and one that I think was a version of the K-3. These are mostly tourists roaming around a large farmers' market. By my observations,

-Anyone taking a photo of a group of their friends was using a cell phone.
-Anyone spending 15 minutes to take photos of a fruit stand at several different angles is using a Nikon DSLR.
-Anyone carrying a large camera but not actually using it had adapted some monstrously large lens to a sony mirrorless.
-Anyone with a "large point and shoot" had a Canon Powershot G10 or newer model slung over their shoulder (these seem pretty popular).
-Anyone actively walking around with their eye to a viewfinder clicking away is a hipster teenager who had just purchased a (new to them) Pentax k1000 at the market and it had no film in it. They often reflexively attempt to chimp.
-Anyone sheepishly hiding a camera under their coat had an Olympus (these may be as rare as Pentax, but I still see the odd e3/500 kicking around).

I'd say that Pentax DSLR's have increased in relative popularity with the overall declining DSLR using crowd, but this may simply be observational bias. At this market, I usually spy at least one Pentax per week not counting my own, and the abundance of Canon Rebels seems greatly reduced compared to a few years ago.
08-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #4785
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
-Anyone taking a photo of a group of their friends was using a cell phone. -Anyone spending 15 minutes to take photos of a fruit stand at several different angles is using a Nikon DSLR. -Anyone carrying a large camera but not actually using it had adapted some monstrously large lens to a sony mirrorless. -Anyone with a "large point and shoot" had a Canon Powershot G10 or newer model slung over their shoulder (these seem pretty popular). -Anyone actively walking around with their eye to a viewfinder clicking away is a hipster teenager who had just purchased a (new to them) Pentax k1000 at the market and it had no film in it. They often reflexively attempt to chimp. -Anyone sheepishly hiding a camera under their coat had an Olympus (these may be as rare as Pentax, but I still see the odd e3/500 kicking around).
Great overview! I like the "chimp" reference for the K1000...!