Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #4786
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We might be rare, but we have more fun! ;)

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Reminds me to never ever book a tour like that. Ever.

That does not sound like anything is enjoy. Well, maybe the last part with the ceiling, in pretty sure I would find that quite amusing, but still not amusing enough to make up for the rest.
Truth be told, the two month trip through Germany, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria, Poland, France, England and Scotland was fun. Most of the time when I ran into these "instances" they were short and easily brushed off as people being people.

Another example of strange things people do with DSLR's is pop up the in-camera flash when standing in the public square in the middle of the day and blasting away. That and the "leaping tiger" stance to take pictures, (one foot back, the other foot forward and lean into the subject) just made my wife and I chuckle and walk away so we would not intrude on the photographers "moment" with laughter.

I came back with 5,964 images which I am now going through to see which ones will make it into my calendar for next year, posting to the Pentax Photo Gallery (if it really continues) and my National Geographic MyShot gallery.

We traveled between countries in Central Europe using the trains, 50 Euros for a 6 hour train trip for two people => cheap - in the US it costs $495 dollars one way from Seattle to San Francisco per person, used public transportation within the cities and walked on average 4.93 miles a day. The food was excellent and cheap as was the beer. The accommodations were all really nice - except for the airport motel we stayed at in Bordeaux France during our intra Europe flights. (We did not go into the city, we said at the airport and rented a car the first time and caught a early morning flight on the second night) We flew from Poland to France which was much cheaper than flying the same distance in the US. We (I) drove in France, England and Scotland. Lots of windy two lane roads through little villages, unfortunately no place to turn off and take pictures, type 2 fun.

On the whole it was an absolutely great trip and if I had the money I would do it over. Now that we have a little more experience, if/when we go back, we would make some changes, expand our range see a few things we missed, spend a little more time here and there. We will see what happens.

Here is a screen shot from LR of the places we were.

Attached Images

Last edited by PDL; 08-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.
08-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #4787
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds like a very nice journey after all!

I personally probably would avoid too many people when doing something like this, but maybe that's just me being me

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
We traveled between countries using the trains, 50 Euros for a 6 hour train trip for two people => cheap - in the US it costs $495 dollars one way from Seattle to San Francisco..

Good you didn't visit Switzerland then!
Just this evening I calculated that if we were to go on holidays again in September the 500km train ride in Italy would cost the same as the 80km to the border here in Switzerland (with a halfprice ticket!)...
08-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #4788

I've had pentax for 20 or so years. Prior to this, I was an Olympus man (got an OM-20 when I was 16 from my uncle, scrounged for lenses in my 20s and was quite happy with it). My second camera was an Mz-50 film slr.
When the time came to go to digital, I was all set to go Olympus (I had 5 lenses for it, from 17mm wide to 300mm (all primes) ), but they decided to not go with an OM compatible lens platform - so I took the pentax option instead, since my Mz's lenses would work fine with the ist. (I believe Olympus has since returned, but "too late, she cried ..." on that one.)

We're not as common as the canikon flock, but we're not that rare. I've seen a couple of other pentax users in my travels. More lone-wolf than one-of-the-flock.
08-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #4789
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PDL, most of the story was interesting. The Leaping Tiger pose actually makes sense. It enables much greater stabilised, probably worth a couple of stops a shake reduction.

BTW would you ever see a rifle shooter using a standing pose other than Leaping Tiger. I suggest you check Heie's article on that. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago. He went to Afghanistan after.

08-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #4790
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
PDL, most of the story was interesting. The Leaping Tiger pose actually makes sense. It enables much greater stabilised, probably worth a couple of stops a shake reduction.

BTW would you ever see a rifle shooter using a standing pose other than Leaping Tiger. I suggest you check Heie's article on that. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago. He went to Afghanistan after.
No, this was not a rifle like stance. The people were in what in the personal trainer business call a lunge. They looked more like a runner in the blocks with the camera way out in front of the forward foot. The almost fell over sideways a few times. The pose was very unstable.

In my youth, just after college, I sold firearms and reloading equipment. I have shot and sighted in (at the range and bore sights) a variety of small to large caliber rifles, this was no rifle pose. I was a pretty good shot back in the day, my favorite rifle was a friends fathers Ruger number one 30-06. Using his hand loads, both my friend and I were getting quarter sized groups at 90 meters off the bench and six inch groups standing. What I call a Leaping Tiger pose would not give anyone an advantage with a rifle.
08-11-2017, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #4791
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

No, this was not a rifle like stance. The people were in what in the personal trainer business call a lunge. They looked more like a runner in the blocks with the camera way out in front of the forward foot. The almost fell over sideways a few times. The pose was very unstable.

In my youth, just after college, I sold firearms and reloading equipment. I have shot and sighted in (at the range and bore sights) a variety of small to large caliber rifles, this was no rifle pose. I was a pretty good shot back in the day, my favorite rifle was a friends fathers Ruger number one 30-06. Using his hand loads, both my friend and I were getting quarter sized groups at 90 meters off the bench and six inch groups standing. What I call a Leaping Tiger pose would not give anyone an advantage with a rifle.
The main thing technique-wise (whatever stance you take) is that your weight is transferred enough so that moving any further forward is difficult, and moving back is impossible.
08-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #4792
Pentaxian

I misunderstood your description - one foot in front of the other - was the thing that caught me. I always took up the rifle pose for deliberate pictures, boring standing pose for ordinary, and the results tend to be ordinary in comparison.

08-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #4793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
-Anyone carrying a large camera but not actually using it had adapted some monstrously large lens to a sony mirrorless.
Yes, I agree with this, I saw the same thing. Why are they doing this? Massive zoom lenses and they need to get right up on the subject. Seems very odd.
08-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #4794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Yes, I agree with this, I saw the same thing. Why are they doing this? Massive zoom lenses and they need to get right up on the subject. Seems very odd.
And with the leaping tiger stance...
08-11-2017, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #4795
Veteran Member

Photographer stances can be an endless source of amusement:

I'm not sure I can find any that match the description of "leaping tiger", but apropos of the discussion of holding a rifle:

08-11-2017, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #4796
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

nice to see clearly that the individual holding the weapon has his finger outside of the trigger guard

for safety sake, I hope the firing chamber was empty as well.
08-11-2017, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #4797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
nice to see clearly that the individual holding the weapon has his finger outside of the trigger guard for safety sake, I hope the firing chamber was empty as well.
A standard practice for a person with experience using firearms, and it adds some comfort to the person taking the picture too! I do suspect the rifle is locked and loaded though!

Regards,
08-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #4798
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
A standard practice for a person with experience using firearms, and it adds some comfort to the person taking the picture too! I do suspect the rifle is locked and loaded though!

Regards,
Safety first, second and third

When handling weapons
08-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #4799
Pentaxian

Now, who's got the most stable stance? The man with the gun or the man with the camera?
08-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #4800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rifleman.
I have always leaned into the firearm while shooting and the technic follows me with cameras.