Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #4831

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The majority of cameras i see in New York are Nikons or Canons, occasionally a Sony. I think I've seen like 3 Pentax?

09-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #4832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just out of the blue, ran into someone today with a Kx and 18-250, quite a rare meeting, really do not see many Pentax cameras around.
09-02-2017, 05:40 AM   #4833
Forum Member

One thing that is a little worrying here in the UK is the disappearance (again) of Pentax cameras in the stores. In the past year stores that usually had 2 or 3 models on display have suddenly gone back to the usual suspects (Canikon and friends) so I can no longer go and get my hands on the new models, grrr!
09-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #4834
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
One thing that is a little worrying here in the UK is the disappearance (again) of Pentax cameras in the stores. In the past year stores that usually had 2 or 3 models on display have suddenly gone back to the usual suspects (Canikon and friends) so I can no longer go and get my hands on the new models, grrr!
If I am lucky, my local brick and mortar store (Wolfe's ) will have used Pentax equipment

Wolfe's Camera | Photo Superstore in Topeka Kansas

09-02-2017, 08:51 PM - 3 Likes   #4835

We were in Europe in May and I spotted about ten Pentaxians while we were there. I had never seen one in the wild before. About half of them were spotted while walking the walls one day in Dubrovnik. In Avignon I spotted a young couple that both had cameras around their neck. He had a full frame Nikon with an f 2.8 70-200 while she had a K-1. It was my first K-1 sighting and I wanted to see it. I broke the ice by asking if that was a K-1 she was using. Without hesitation, the young man said, "Yes it is. It's an excellent camera and I highly recommend it." I didn't really expect that kind of response from somebody holding the kind of rig that he had.
09-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #4836

Since owning the K1 since April, I've had a few encounters with photographers whilst out shooting, I sure do get a few bemused looks when they see I use a Pentax, most of them haven't even heard of the K1 and presume it's just some basic beginner camera😂
09-06-2017, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #4837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With my 645, I always get stares and folks asking what kind of camera I'm shooting with.

What REALLY turns their heads is that loud mirror slap/focal plane shutter actuation followed by the motor drive gears advancing the film. Lots of curiosity and a few that then tell me they used to have a K1000, with the inevitable, "I didn't know anyone still shot film."

An ex-student of mine (he is now a surgeon) wanted to take a photo class in his first year at Princeton University. He told me the professor said the class was only for seniors. He told the teacher he had taken advanced photo courses in high school, and the professor said no again. Then he pulled out his Pentax 67 and asked where there might be a darkroom where he could develop his film and print. At that point the professor completely changed her mind and made an exception for him to take the class.

I've always assumed the prof changed her mind after seeing the medium format film camera, but perhaps she was a Pentaxian.

09-06-2017, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #4838

I never been asked "why pentax" by anyone yet, but my uncle (used to own a nikon) said this to me "pentax might have been cheapper than canikon but their IQ are really something for its price"

And my friend's father once asked me what my camera is, I said pentax and he said "woah it's rare to see pentax but it also what makes it cooler!"
09-06-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #4839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Distilled is sterile, so it shouldn't make me sick, still it does sometimes. Strange that...

A former colleague of mine can't drink scotch, because smoked food makes him sick. So I allways bring scotch with me when partying with him. 😃
My grandmother was allergic to corn (maize) and had to be careful not to drink beverages made from it, which includes most American-made liquors. She was fine with Scotch whisky and English-made gin as they were made from other grains that didn't bother her.
09-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #4840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonAtkinson Quote
Since owning the K1 since April, I've had a few encounters with photographers whilst out shooting, I sure do get a few bemused looks when they see I use a Pentax, most of them haven't even heard of the K1 and presume it's just some basic beginner camera😂
Where as we on the forum have seen enough posts from folks having trouble transitioning from APS-c or 4/3 to know, better. We can tell people, the bigger the format the better photographer you have to be, but do they believe us?
09-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #4841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where as we on the forum have seen enough posts from folks having trouble transitioning from APS-c or 4/3 to know, better. We can tell people, the bigger the format the better photographer you have to be, but do they believe us?
In some cases, I believe, for the lack of a better term, 'non-photographers' in an attempt to become better, buy larger format. Of course a bigger format does not make one a better photographer.

With that said, in most cases, I believe if the person invests more money, is willing to carry more weight, and will handle larger files with the intent to print larger....that leads to a photographer that is more committed to their process and that will reflect in the product.

Recently, dare I admit, I took a rare hike sans DSLR, and took some shots with my iPhone. I was very, very pleased with the results online and on my monitor, but upon printing it, could easily see the lack of quality compared to a larger format using a "real" camera. The bottom line is that once you move up to a larger format, the results are very dissatisfying to downsize, but I suppose if you've never made the transition up, you don't know what you're missing.
09-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #4842

I'm in Hawaii for a few days and the first thing I saw was a Japanese tourist with a white Kx or ks2! So far the only one I've seen as I don't have mine with me... Oh how I miss it
09-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #4843

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Remember to not tell "jokes" to the TSA and be ready to take your shoes off to get on an airplane.
Completely OT, but despite a very mixed bag of experiences with your airport officials, I did once have a hispanic Immigration officer in Hawaii start cracking jokes with me, and he was pretty funny! We had some back-and-forth and I think he was right - he was the only hispanic we met in the State.

A nice change from the usual experience where it always feels like you are suspected of being a criminal/terrorist/illegal immigrant.
09-18-2017, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4844
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Omg. I just watched a Pentax given out as a prize on the television show Let's Make A Deal. It's a white one, I couldn't read the model out. I should've taken a picture!
09-19-2017, 04:14 AM   #4845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ran into a guy carrying a Pentax 67 at the Juggalo March for Rights this past weekend in Washington. Seemed like an interesting guy, had some kind of Leica with his as well, and then a kind of annoying sidekick that made fun of my sister's Canon DSLR which wasn't with her at the time.

Leaving the event I saw a guy with a silver ZX-10. Wish we had the ability to pack a full frame sensor into that body...