Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #4846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I started my class again. A wide variety of people (about 12 of them) with different backgrounds. But they all had Canikons. Not so different after all!

I am still the voice crying in the wilderness!

09-25-2017, 01:40 AM   #4847

Well, I'm down two Pentax DSLRs, having given my K-x kit to my son for his work. I use my newer red K-50 for most of my new glass, for bad weather, travel and sports and such that an automatic lens is handy. I LOVE my white K-01 ("brick") and use it almost exclusively for the old glass--the ones which are mostly screw mounts, so the M42-K adaptor hardly ever comes off. I've adapted a magnetic hood for the LCD which does a wonderful job on bright days. No matter where I go, somebody mentions the wonderful colors of my cameras--for me, the colors simply make them easier to find. Overall, though, the Canikon owners will brush me off as a wannabe because I use the "wrong" brand of camera. To me, most of their equipment is overpriced, heavy, too large, restrictive and unimaginative. Frankly, I rather enjoy being an outlier.
09-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #4848
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw a Pentax at Arta market in Mallorca last week. Not sure which model.

09-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #4849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just arrived back in UK from 5 days in Budapest, Hungary. One Pentax spotted in the Castle District - briefly complemented the guy for his wise choice - does he use this forum ?

Nikon dominated the DSLRs and I'd say Sony next. Fewer Canons than usual. This is all very sad, but I did try and spot Pentaxs in the hands of the Japanese tourists as I would have expected some of them to have 'seen the light' and 'escaped the herd' - none spotted ...

I was using my GR didn't spot any of these either.

09-26-2017, 09:35 AM - 3 Likes   #4850
Veteran Member

Let's face it, most Pentax lenses are just too small for their own good. They don't look "serious". I was taking photos at our family picnic at a park when my father-in-law spotted two guys with Canons and MASSIVE lenses. "Now look at THAT camera!" - he told me. Sure, my FA 43 is practically invisible next to those lenses, so it can't be good, can it?
09-26-2017, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #4851
Veteran Member

Put a DFA* lens and people start to notice you.

09-26-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #4852
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Let's face it, most Pentax lenses are just too small for their own good. They don't look "serious". I was taking photos at our family picnic at a park when my father-in-law spotted two guys with Canons and MASSIVE lenses. "Now look at THAT camera!" - he told me. Sure, my FA 43 is practically invisible next to those lenses, so it can't be good, can it?
LOL! And so true!

This is one of the big issues that the "mirrorless revolution" promotors miss. One of the reasons people buy (and will continue to buy) DSLRs is that they look like real serious cameras.

When a budding enthusiast goes into a camera shop, they are as likely to buy the Canon because it is huge as they are to buy the Sony because it is small.

And then there's the Pentax buyer that doesn't given a flying-eff what others think -- they just want a great camera that takes great pictures at a decent price.

After all, it's how the pictures look, not how the camera looks, that matters (unless one needs a big camera to boost a fragile ego).

09-26-2017, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The number one comment I get shooting with my 645 (even with smallish primes) is the "wow, now that's a real pro camera". The irony is that I chose the 645 for medium format because it was smaller than the Mamiyas, Bronicas, and most Hassies.

Of course, the Leica and Olympus fans differ in their appreciation of size....but they are the minority.
09-26-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4854

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
LOL! And so true!

This is one of the big issues that the "mirrorless revolution" promotors miss. One of the reasons people buy (and will continue to buy) DSLRs is that they look like real serious cameras.

When a budding enthusiast goes into a camera shop, they are as likely to buy the Canon because it is huge as they are to buy the Sony because it is small.

And then there's the Pentax buyer that doesn't given a flying-eff what others think -- they just want a great camera that takes great pictures at a decent price.

After all, it's how the pictures look, not how the camera looks, that matters (unless one needs a big camera to boost a fragile ego).
photoptimist, I shudder to think that anybody would spend all that good money for a camera because of the way it looks or simply as a knee-jerk reaction to the advertising or fame of a certain camera/brand. What does that say about them? It makes me forever glad to be a lifelong Pentaxian and grateful for the company of other serious, thinking photographers. c:
09-26-2017, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #4855
Pentaxian

Time to change the father-in-law (and what goes with him!), maybe?
09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #4856
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . (unless one needs a big camera to boost a fragile ego).
watch it there now

proud owner of lens:

Diam x Length
95 x 241.5 mm (3.7 x 9.5 in.)

Diam x Length
91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.)

and then you extend the length with the lens hood

not as large as some but not really petite

09-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #4857
Pentaxian

I have a pretty ig one too. A Rubinar. Looks a bit like a Minenwerfer.
09-26-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #4858

Perhaps Pentax should start selling those camouflage sleeves- always the hallmark of a serious camera 😂😂
09-26-2017, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4859
Veteran Member

local store will no longer accept Pentax gear on trade. They have also stated that they after the current stock of Pentax sell out they will be putting it all on special order and only carrying the minimum for dealer agreement. Sad sad day.

At least they still plan to keep the 645 line in stock.. one day I'll get one. One day...

---------- Post added 09-26-2017 at 03:35 PM ----------

LOL! And so true!

Very true!

My boss was asking me what camera he should buy and was mentioning he was looking at the D850 and 5DMKiv. He has never held a DSLR before in his life. I mentioned Pentax and Fuji and showed him a couple of models online. He mentioned they didn't look like serious cameras so he wasn't interested in them. He thinks the Fuji looks like a toy, and Pentax is something a grandpa would use. I tuned him out and walked away.
09-26-2017, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #4860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

My boss was asking me what camera he should buy and was mentioning he was looking at the D850 and 5DMKiv. He has never held a DSLR before in his life. I mentioned Pentax and Fuji and showed him a couple of models online. He mentioned they didn't look like serious cameras so he wasn't interested in them.
Some people can be soooo annoying. They ask for your opinion, you give it, and then they question or ignore you. But when I was seriously trying to decide on gear, I went to a Certain Intelligence Agency and found out at that time they were using Pentax 67 for most of their high res needs. Before then, I never seriously considered Pentax. Now I know better.