Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2017, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #4876
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought he was rep of the company who was announcing new products.

Anyway, a fellow went to me when I was taking pictures in the plaza this afternoon. He introduced himself as a Pentaxian. We talked a little about our gears and how many people he knows using Pentax in our area. Glad to know that there are 5 of us here versus thousands of Canikonyfu users. Nice to know there are other Jedi in my area.

10-02-2017, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #4877
Forum Member

Pentax users have no fear, shoot with Sigma cameras as well, like I do, then you'll really know what it's like to feel different. Chances of spotting another Sigma camera user? there's more chance of world peace at the moment.......
10-04-2017, 12:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4878

Forgive me , but is justification is needed to adopt Pentax ?
I prefer being otherwise , especially as for decades I considered myself other-stupid due to a brain glitch - derealisation/disassociation/dreamstate .
Cameras are an escape and comfort zone for me .

I like my K10D , but also a much maligned/denigrated for being basic , Sony A290 both of which have CCD sensors .
Perversely , the stripped out simplicity of the A290 seems to work for me .

I have the Sony A35 35 f1.8 for low light , but miss CCD colours and hate the EVF .

Recently , I upgraded to a Ks-1 / 35 f2.8 [ ex-dem £320] which is good , but for colours and low light , the Fuji X-Pro1/ 42mm [£330 ex-dem] is best for colours and low light .

For me , strictly considered sharpshooter , it's the camera which suits my need [ and a way to contain confusion ] with no concern for whatever others prefer .
dee
10-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #4879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Just saw another Pentax as prize on lets make a deal tv show!
Back door advertising?

10-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #4880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a trip to Hawaii, French Polynesia & Rapa Nui (Easter island) last month, I saw about 5 or 6 Pentax shooters. All APSC DSLR bodies, with a couple white ones that stick out like sore thumbs.

Phil.
10-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #4881
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
On a trip to Hawaii, French Polynesia & Rapa Nui (Easter island) last month, I saw about 5 or 6 Pentax shooters. All APSC DSLR bodies, with a couple white ones that stick out like sore thumbs.

Phil.
Wouldn't the red Pentaxes be more like sore thumbs?
10-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #4882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Wouldn't the red Pentaxes be more like sore thumbs?
Red? Iʻd think pink or purple would stick out as the sore thumb.

10-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #4883
Pentaxian

TBH, the colour of the body is "irrelevant" except that any other colour draws attention (desired or otherwise) to the owner if he/she so desires. For myself, I am quite content to use the "basic" black bodies (being someone who has "learnt" not to draw attention to myself - there's literally painful "history" that I don't wish to talk about!).
10-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #4884
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
TBH, the colour of the body is "irrelevant" except that any other colour draws attention (desired or otherwise) to the owner if he/she so desires. For myself, I am quite content to use the "basic" black bodies (being someone who has "learnt" not to draw attention to myself - there's literally painful "history" that I don't wish to talk about!).
Tell us the story!!!!

Anyway, i use to have a red K30, and caught attention, always, some ladies attention about the cute camera (or the boy handling it), or some funny looks from other photographers... The attention never reallt bother me as i wasnt looking for it... now i use a K1 and some big lenses, they do bring fear in others photographers sight as it look more menacing camera, but it also bring unwanted attention in some locations were you want to keep a low profile.

Still no stolen gear to report, and i hope remains like that

10-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #4885
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Tell us the story!!!!

Anyway, i use to have a red K30, and caught attention, always, some ladies attention about the cute camera (or the boy handling it), or some funny looks from other photographers... The attention never reallt bother me as i wasnt looking for it... now i use a K1 and some big lenses, they do bring fear in others photographers sight as it look more menacing camera, but it also bring unwanted attention in some locations were you want to keep a low profile.

Still no stolen gear to report, and i hope remains like that
I was testing out my newly acquired D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8 at the Kansas City Zoo about a week or so ago when I asked some one what type of camera she was using.

it was a Nikon

she did commented that she was very envious of my lens when I told her I was using a K 3 + the D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8
10-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #4886
Pentaxian

Tell us the story!!!!
NO chance - too painful - please don't ask questions like that of ANYBODY!
PS: an APOLOGY would be appreciated!

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-05-2017 at 02:56 PM.
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #4887
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I was testing out my newly acquired D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8 at the Kansas City Zoo about a week or so ago when I asked some one what type of camera she was using.

it was a Nikon

she did commented that she was very envious of my lens when I told her I was using a K 3 + the D FA * 70 - 200 mm F2.8
Something similar happen to me, i also adquire the DFA70-200 and the K1+Grip, i have a sad and painfully history about how to explain that purchase, the history ends about a month after the bank account came in the mail... tomorrow it will have a second part once my DFA15-30 arrive... But returning to the camera attention, i went to the zoo to make test, i see several canon/nikons camera with their kit lenses, and a lot of them gaze upon the monster in my hands, nobody ask about the setup or camera, but seeing people givin me space to take any picture (without me asking for it or looking for it) make me feel like a Pro.

10-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #4888
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Something similar happen to me, i also adquire the DFA70-200 and the K1+Grip, i have a sad and painfully history about how to explain that purchase, the history ends about a month after the bank account came in the mail... tomorrow it will have a second part once my DFA15-30 arrive... But returning to the camera attention, i went to the zoo to make test, i see several canon/nikons camera with their kit lenses, and a lot of them gaze upon the monster in my hands, nobody ask about the setup or camera, but seeing people givin me space to take any picture (without me asking for it or looking for it) make me feel like a Pro.
Sounds like when I drove my 2002 suburban [ 188,000 miles + ] in Chicago, other vehicles, except semis and their trailers and buses, got out of the way

it isn't only the size, it's the rust and dents, they think I don't mind collisions

[ I do but they don't know that ]

---------- Post added 10-05-17 at 17:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
NO chance - too painful - please don't ask questions like that of ANYBODY!
PS: an APOLOGY would be appreciated!
Mea culpa, mea culpa, Mea maxima culpa

[ I know I didn't do it, but sometimes its best to apologize when you really aren't at fault, especially in an argument with the spouse ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-05-2017 at 03:20 PM.
10-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #4889
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Sounds like when I drove my 2002 suburban in Chicago, other vehicles, except semis and their trailers and buses, got out of the way

it isn't only the size, it's the rust and dents, they think I don't mind collisions

[ I do but they don't know that ]

---------- Post added 10-05-17 at 17:13 ----------

Mea culpa, mea culpa, Mea maxima culpa

[ I know I didn't do it, but sometimes its best to apologize when you really aren't at fault, especially in an argument with the spouse ]
Yeah, my history end in a "tie" when i let her buy something expensive as a apologize, and sold 2 guitars... I still think i lost, but i take the tie result anyday

10-05-2017, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I was at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City yesterday. Also went to a botanical garden in the Bronx. Walked through Times Square. I maybe saw a guy with a K-1, I don't know what that thing was exactly. Otherwise mine was the only Pentax. I saw a couple Sony's but they were both around the neck of the same obnoxious dude that couldn't stop taking very close pictures of Van Gogh's "Starry Night". I did see a lot of Olympus m4/3rds kit as well as Canon and Nikon. The Oly gear was a bit of a surprise.
Got into a social conversation with a volunteer (retired professional product shooter) photographer for the St. Louis Art Museum. Long story short, he’s a Pentax guy - used and still uses his 645nll, never uses flash, shoots handheld and uses telephoto (to reduce keystoning) to photograph paintings for the catalogs. The museum staff togs need to close a gallery for hours to shoot. He just gets it done in the morning before the gallery opens, so the museum PR staff uses him instead of the house togs.

He said his best photograph ever is a telephoto image detail of Starry Night that shows every brushstroke in the moon. Wants to meet up to try out my K-1 with FA*300/4.5.