Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #5026
Veteran Member

To go back to advertising for a minute, for the last few nights I've been spending a lot of time searching for video clips on you tube relating to macro photography (I'm at the stage that I've had a good play and want to get more into it). There are quite a number of short video clips on the subject from a variety of people, but in general they seem to be using Canon or Nikon equipment.

It ends up being a bit of a plug for whatever brand of camera they are using, so perhaps more of us should be spreading the good word with our Pentax gear? There are obviously a lot of experienced photographers on here with some good advice to put out there, seeing these august and esteemed veterans showing the world the results they can achieve may be a boost for the Pentax name....

12-15-2017, 04:17 AM   #5027
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
To go back to advertising for a minute, for the last few nights I've been spending a lot of time searching for video clips on you tube relating to macro photography (I'm at the stage that I've had a good play and want to get more into it). There are quite a number of short video clips on the subject from a variety of people, but in general they seem to be using Canon or Nikon equipment.

It ends up being a bit of a plug for whatever brand of camera they are using, so perhaps more of us should be spreading the good word with our Pentax gear? There are obviously a lot of experienced photographers on here with some good advice to put out there, seeing these august and esteemed veterans showing the world the results they can achieve may be a boost for the Pentax name....
This might interest you.
http://extreme-macro.co.uk

12-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #5028
Veteran Member

Cheers Slartibartfast01, that will keep me occupied for a while
02-01-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #5029
Veteran Member

I was watching "The Price is Right" when suddenly a wild K-3 appeared. The young lady who won it seemed to be thrilled

02-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #5030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saturday at the Washington (DC) Auto Show I saw what might have been my first Pentax in the wild. Middle aged gentleman, with what appeared to be a K-3 or similar with a fairly large zoom lens. But he passed quickly in a crowd and I didn't get a very good look.
02-01-2018, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #5031
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Saturday at the Washington (DC) Auto Show I saw what might have been my first Pentax in the wild. Middle aged gentleman, with what appeared to be a K-3 or similar with a fairly large zoom lens. But he passed quickly in a crowd and I didn't get a very good look.

" in the wild "

should we be keeping a list like the birders do

date, time and location

sighting of which Pentax camera bodies

sightings of which Pentax lenses

sighting of Pentax accessories

sightings of Pentax flashes
02-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #5032
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To help this post earn a Guinness World Record for longest ongoing forum thread, here's an update on the numbers in my digital photo classes this semester. Unless Ricoh ruins it by really marketing and making a greater Pentax presence, I see we're only halfway to post #10,000:
Canon: 28
Nikon: 19
Sony: 2
Pentax: 1 (K-70)

I will update this once my class of 16 film photo students finish their pinhole camera project and start bringing in their film cameras. I got a preview of what they will be bringing; way more interesting group with a Leica rangefinder, Rollei TLR, and a smattering of the "big five".

02-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #5033
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Getting a reputation for only having quality gear works too. Big box isn't the only way to go. I have seen pallets of Pentax gear at Costco here, but I'm not convinced those sales did anything for the brand. All those camera were sold, but are those really the customers who are going to buy more than 1 camera (and probably not any lenses, or are who are going to be loyal to the brand?

My daughter bought a Canon DSLR 5 years ago, second hand. She has no lenses for it but the kit lens. She has no desire to own anything else. I think the "flood the big retail chains with cheap product" model is in real trouble right now.
ABSOLUTELY no sign of Pentax at our local Costco (2 miles away) - almost totally Canikon (but it might just have been Canon!)
02-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #5034
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
ABSOLUTELY no sign of Pentax at our local Costco (2 miles away) - almost totally Canikon (but it might just have been Canon!)
A few years back, Costco.com did carry the K-50 two lens kit and it was at that time I saw a spike in students bringing Pentax cameras to class. Costco extends all electronics warranties for one additional year which makes it more attractive, so I would hope and think someone at Ricoh is knocking on some doors.
02-01-2018, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5035

Add one more to the ranks. Just got my new toy (K70 body) and some accessories (28mm 2.8, 40mm xs, and the 55-300 for the zoo).
02-01-2018, 08:14 PM - 3 Likes   #5036
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another class, and the same old sameold. With about 20 people in the class, the numbers are split about evenly between Canon and Nikon. It still is kinda nice that I am the only one with a Pentax (at least none of the students can ask me to borrow or try a lens!).

And the beat goes on....
02-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #5037
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Another class, and the same old sameold. With about 20 people in the class, the numbers are split about evenly between Canon and Nikon. It still is kinda nice that I am the only one with a Pentax (at least none of the students can ask me to borrow or try a lens!).
From a photo teacherʻs perspective, I think there are two reactions to the student with the unique gear:
a) IF the teacher is not competent, they are threatened by a camera and menu they no less about than the student. Bad boy. Go to the back of the class and write a thousand times, "I will follow the leader."

b) IF the teacher is competent, we love an independent thinker and someone with a "special" or rarity like Pentax. I currently have one digital student with a Pentax, and I canʻt help but appreciate how she didnʻt follow the crowd. In the same way in my film class, I have one student with a TLR, and I love that I have someone shooting 6x6 in a crowd of 35mm shooters.

For YOU it may be the same old same old, but for your teacher, it isnʻt and if they are worth their silver or silicon, you are making the class a bit special with your independence from the norm.
02-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #5038
Pentaxian

I saw quite a few Pentaxes while on holiday in Italy in January, including one 35mm film SLR that I wasn't able to identify but I believe was a K-series body. I had my K3 and MX.
02-02-2018, 05:34 AM   #5039

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote

And the beat goes on....
Has any of the students ever asked about your Pentax?

I think it would be interesting to give the students a first-day quiz and ask questions
about how many brands they are aware of, why and how they chose the equipment
that they have, etc. Of course, give them all an A+.
02-02-2018, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #5040
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I think it would be interesting to give the students a first-day quiz and ask questions
about how many brands they are aware of, why and how they chose the equipment
that they have, etc.
That would be interesting, but I've found half my newbies don't even know what brand of camera they are using until I ask them! They have the camera in the bag, I ask them, they say "idk", and then we find out what it is. Half the Canon owner's write on the clip board where I collect the data "Cannon". I then ask everyone, how many 'N's" in Canon. Some say 'one', some say 'two', some say 'three'.

For teenage students, the reasons why that brand (because I've asked) in order of frequency:
a) Hand-me down from parents or sibling.
b) Loaner from friend or uncle/aunt.
c) Least expensive at big box discount store.
d) Recommended by camera sales person.
e) Same brand as a friend or family member or a favorite photographer that uses that brand.
f) .....and the least common reason....because they read my detailed suggestions and recommendations OR they actually researched it themselves.

PS. For older adults like myself, the reason is often brand loyalty and ownership of the same make film SLR.