QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

" in the wild "

should we be keeping a list like the birders do

date, time and location

sighting of which Pentax camera bodies

sightings of which Pentax lenses

sighting of Pentax accessories

sightings of Pentax flashes
Of course, we'll also have to start documenting (and complaining about!) the times we haven't been able to use our Pentax cameras to focus on Pentax gear in motion "in the wild"?

02-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #5042
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Last week, another year has passed after Dinagyang 2017. It's the most popular and colorful festival here in Iloilo City. Though Canikon dominated, Fuji has started to plague the scene and there were some Sony as well. Sad to say I was the only Pentaxian. I really wanted to see some other Pentaxian in the wild.

I can't understand why people can't understand why we like Pentax.
02-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #5043
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the place i have been on cruises and drives across the US, only two Pentax users i have run into is myself and daughter
02-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #5044
Pentaxian

I have actually seen two Pentax cameras in the wild. One was an istD on a ferry on Kotor Bay in Montenegro and the other was an unidentified model glimpsed in a market in Tenerife or La Palma.

02-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #5045
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have " spied " Pentax cameras " in the wild " twice

Once in Yellowstone and the other time at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha
02-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #5046

Pentax sighting

I have seen numerous Pentax digitals in my travels both in the US and Central America. The most interesting sighting was this.

I was at the Caracol Mayan ruins in Belize. Caracol is a good sized site in the Belizean rain forest but 35 miles from any populated place (except for a checkpoint on the road to it). It does not get a lot of visitors due to its remoteness. I was standing on a ruin thinking about a shot I was going to take and a couple walked into the plaza near where I was standing. He had a camera - a K10 if I remember correctly. I think on that date at Caracol, Pentax dslr's could have been in the majority.
02-03-2018, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5047
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I see Pentax cameras (besides my own and those of a hiking-buddy) maybe one or two times a year. In fact, I saw a Pentax ME just a couple of days ago carried by a college-age woman who was with two friends.

Pentaxians are out there!

02-03-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #5048
Pentaxian

Are Pentaxians and their Pentax cameras rare ?

Yep, but nowadays with so many people, many of whom are former slr/dslr users/owners not using them anymore and using and enjoying their cell phone cameras instead...I would say it's not so much a question of noting the rarity of Pentax DSLR's ...but the increasing rarity of those using... any... DSLR, including the most 'popular' Canikon variety.

I like to go to outdoor summer events,car shows, local fairs, etc...and over the past few years I have noted that DSLR's are becoming less common and people using their phones much more common.

When you look at the photos some get with their cell phones...even enlarged and printed to the 8 X 10 level, I must say I'm not surprised. I have to say some of these cell phones are capable of really good quality...I mean reaaaallly good ! Not all cell phones (ie; burners...as they say in detective potboilers) are excellent, but some of the higher end jobs are very capable.

Do I think DSLR's are on the way out ? Not sure, as long as there are guys like me, who like using relatively large, sophisticated equipment like the K-1, D800...something, 5D...something...no. But our numbers will be greatly culled over the next number of years by increasing improved cell phone cameras. The entry level DSLR from all makes I think, is next on the chopping block. Back in around 2005- 2012 or so...everybody and their dog seemed to have and use an entry level DSLR...not any more.

Right now when I'm out and about with my camera equipment, it reminds me what it was like in the '50's and '60's. Occasionally you would see someone with what was termed an expensive, good camera back then, but that was an unusual sighting...a novelty...as it were. That's where things are getting to ...at this point, in my opinion, which is based on long term observations.

By the way I also include all manner of modern day expensive cameras...the 4/3 jobs, the Fuji, Olympics, etc....as subject to this general downward trend in the average consumer buying the good and the pricey.

Face it, you can get really good video and really good still photography from your top of the line Apple and Samsung, et al camera phones. My daughter and her partner just welcomed their first new born and they live a long distance from us, but send excellent photos and video of their little darling to us on a regular basis. They're just interested in getting good photography of their child...and frankly their top of the line Apple cell phone camera delivers.

Back around 2008, they probably would be looking at basic DSLR and/or video camera to fulfill these parental documentary requirements. But no need now, what with their completely capable cell phone camera.

I'm sure many people regard me, as I walk around with my K5 or K1 mit battery grips as an older individual with 'affectation'....ie; my penchant for carrying both these antediluvian devices...when if I had any common sense at all...I'd just use my phone...for heaven's sake.

---------- Post added 02-03-18 at 01:09 PM ----------

Further to my post...# 5049...my wife says that maybe it's a question of what goes around comes around and maybe the dslr..Pentax included...will experience a resurgence...kind of like vinyl, record players, etc.

Both of us being rapidly aging baby boomers and never completely sure if we're on the right current jargony path...think it's something to do with the 'hipster' movement. We're pretty sure many of them like what's old is cool again...although being old ourselves...we still don't think young hipsters regard us as being cool again...if even, we ever were. They may think our 'stuff' is cool, even if we are not.

I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.... although I'm not sure if I do.
02-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #5049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yep, but nowadays with so many people, many of whom are former slr/dslr users/owners not using them anymore and using and enjoying their cell phone cameras instead...

Do I think DSLR's are on the way out ? Not sure, ....But our numbers will be greatly culled over the next number of years by increasing improved cell phone cameras. The entry level DSLR from all makes I think, is next on the chopping block.

Yes, I get the gist of what youʻre saying, but from what Iʻve seen, cell phones have had a bigger impact on point-and-shoot digital cameras more than DSLRs. When I hang around the camera section at Costco or Walmart/Target/BestBuy I might see someone checking out a waterproof camera (popular in Hawaii) or an Instax camera during the holidays, but otherwise, the DSLRs get a lot of attention.

Perhaps teaching photography to 180 digital and 60 film high school students per year that are required to have their own SLR skews my perspective, and yes for many of them, it is the first and last time they will ever use a DSLR. However, most of them are shooting with entry level DSLRs, and some of them do upgrade before going to college to a mid-level or even FF model. And for many of them getting that WOW moment using the extremes of shutter speed, interchangeable lenses, or bokeh that isnʻt artificially created with software, itʻs hard to go back to a cell phone with that knowledge.

At my high school, students have to take a minimum of 4 semester visual art classes to graduate and there are over a dozen other media they can opt for other than photography. So from that perspective, it is still a minority interested in photography beyond cell phones, but compared to 1996 when I started teaching at this high school, photography enrollment has doubled!

And I must also mention that my film student enrollment is back from near extinction in 2010 to 2008 numbers, and in those classes, I see as many Pentax SLRs as I do Nikon or Canon. Even if it is made by a third party like Cosina, PENTAX really should bring back an affordable all manual 35mm SLR. Our local cameras store currently sells four excellent to mint condition Pentax KM (with 50mm $250-$350) and that is $$$ Ricoh will never see.
02-03-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #5050
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, I get the gist of what youʻre saying, but from what Iʻve seen, cell phones have had a bigger impact on point-and-shoot digital cameras more than DSLRs. When I hang around the camera section at Costco or Walmart/Target/BestBuy I might see someone checking out a waterproof camera (popular in Hawaii) or an Instax camera during the holidays, but otherwise, the DSLRs get a lot of attention.

Perhaps teaching photography to 180 digital and 60 film high school students per year that are required to have their own SLR skews my perspective, and yes for many of them, it is the first and last time they will ever use a DSLR. However, most of them are shooting with entry level DSLRs, and some of them do upgrade before going to college to a mid-level or even FF model. And for many of them getting that WOW moment using the extremes of shutter speed, interchangeable lenses, or bokeh that isnʻt artificially created with software, itʻs hard to go back to a cell phone with that knowledge.

At my high school, students have to take a minimum of 4 semester visual art classes to graduate and there are over a dozen other media they can opt for other than photography. So from that perspective, it is still a minority interested in photography beyond cell phones, but compared to 1996 when I started teaching at this high school, photography enrollment has doubled!

And I must also mention that my film student enrollment is back from near extinction in 2010 to 2008 numbers, and in those classes, I see as many Pentax SLRs as I do Nikon or Canon. Even if it is made by a third party like Cosina, PENTAX really should bring back an affordable all manual 35mm SLR. Our local cameras store currently sells four excellent to mint condition Pentax KM (with 50mm $250-$350) and that is $$$ Ricoh will never see.

Lovely to hear that young people have developed an interest in advanced photography. I do think that's great and it's nice to know as an old man, that younger people are getting involved in a hobby, perhaps eventually a profession that can bring much enjoyment to them in their life.

The students you have in your photography classes, are a smaller group within the total student body of the high school. They are interested in photography, much like we are...they're the younger versions of ourselves...the pupa as it were, who are on the road to metamorphosing into adult photo enthusiasts. Their numbers compared to the main population will never form the majority, but will eventually replace older photo enthusiasts such as...me.

You bring up an interesting point about today's younger generation....that some are interested in older, traditional ways of doing things. This summer I was wandering around an old British fort...in Western Canada...and they had young college and university students re-enacting roles of 150 to 200 + years ago.

There was a young woman student dressed in blacksmith's garb, heating iron in the forge, manually sending air via a hand bellows into the forge's fire and shaping a metal piece on an anvil, with her blacksmith hammer. She was doing an excellent job and with genuine enthusiasm. I asked her if blacksmithing was something she wanted to continue with in her life.

She did...she indicated that she enjoyed using old, traditional ways to create useful items and that working as a re-enactor in blacksmithing provided concrete satisfaction in making durable, valuable, practical items. In fact she mentioned it was something she always wanted to do, maybe not as a career, but as a hobby throughout life.
02-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #5051

Around here, seeing any kind of DSLR is extremely rare. Whether its a car show or some other event, the
field is dominated by cell phones. Here and there you see a small point and shoot, and once in a great while,
a real DSLR. Lets face it, a huge percentage of people are never going to print their photos, let alone make
enlargements, so what they have is enough. They buy a phone and the camera is an added bonus. No one
but a true enthusiest would lug around a several pound single function device like a camera, not to mention
a bag and several lenses.

I have to say, I am guilty of this myself. Although I own and enjoy several Pentax DSLR's, many times when going
someplace, I grab my Canon point and shoot. The focusing is lightning fast and spot on, and the colors are fantastic.
It has a 50x optical zoom coupled with a 2x digital zoom, and the best anti-shake I have ever used. I can take a
frame filling, hand held shot of the full moon that is crystal clear and properly exposed, without even thinking
about it.

If I weren't a hobbyist that cut his teeth on SLR's, I would probably have no interest at all in owning a DSLR.
02-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #5052
Veteran Member

I'm not sure we want to create a list of spotted Pentax, someone somewhere will complain we are invading privacy....

Question is, how many times have we spotted a Pentax in the wild when the owner is a member of this forum? Has anyone looked at the details and said "Hey, I was there that day..."
02-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #5053
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I'm not sure we want to create a list of spotted Pentax, someone somewhere will complain we are invading privacy....

Question is, how many times have we spotted a Pentax in the wild when the owner is a member of this forum? Has anyone looked at the details and said "Hey, I was there that day..."
my idea of a list was kinda a joke

but I see nothing with noting I saw a K 1 with a 21mm limited today if I don't try to identify who the person was
02-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #5054

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Are Pentaxians and their Pentax cameras rare ?

Yep, but nowadays with so many people, many of whom are former slr/dslr users/owners not using them anymore and using and enjoying their cell phone cameras instead...I would say it's not so much a question of noting the rarity of Pentax DSLR's ...but the increasing rarity of those using... any... DSLR, including the most 'popular' Canikon variety.

I like to go to outdoor summer events,car shows, local fairs, etc...and over the past few years I have noted that DSLR's are becoming less common and people using their phones much more common.

When you look at the photos some get with their cell phones...even enlarged and printed to the 8 X 10 level, I must say I'm not surprised. I have to say some of these cell phones are capable of really good quality...I mean reaaaallly good ! Not all cell phones (ie; burners...as they say in detective potboilers) are excellent, but some of the higher end jobs are very capable.

Do I think DSLR's are on the way out ? Not sure, as long as there are guys like me, who like using relatively large, sophisticated equipment like the K-1, D800...something, 5D...something...no. But our numbers will be greatly culled over the next number of years by increasing improved cell phone cameras. The entry level DSLR from all makes I think, is next on the chopping block. Back in around 2005- 2012 or so...everybody and their dog seemed to have and use an entry level DSLR...not any more.

Right now when I'm out and about with my camera equipment, it reminds me what it was like in the '50's and '60's. Occasionally you would see someone with what was termed an expensive, good camera back then, but that was an unusual sighting...a novelty...as it were. That's where things are getting to ...at this point, in my opinion, which is based on long term observations.

By the way I also include all manner of modern day expensive cameras...the 4/3 jobs, the Fuji, Olympics, etc....as subject to this general downward trend in the average consumer buying the good and the pricey.

Face it, you can get really good video and really good still photography from your top of the line Apple and Samsung, et al camera phones. My daughter and her partner just welcomed their first new born and they live a long distance from us, but send excellent photos and video of their little darling to us on a regular basis. They're just interested in getting good photography of their child...and frankly their top of the line Apple cell phone camera delivers.

Back around 2008, they probably would be looking at basic DSLR and/or video camera to fulfill these parental documentary requirements. But no need now, what with their completely capable cell phone camera.

I'm sure many people regard me, as I walk around with my K5 or K1 mit battery grips as an older individual with 'affectation'....ie; my penchant for carrying both these antediluvian devices...when if I had any common sense at all...I'd just use my phone...for heaven's sake.

---------- Post added 02-03-18 at 01:09 PM ----------

Further to my post...# 5049...my wife says that maybe it's a question of what goes around comes around and maybe the dslr..Pentax included...will experience a resurgence...kind of like vinyl, record players, etc.

Both of us being rapidly aging baby boomers and never completely sure if we're on the right current jargony path...think it's something to do with the 'hipster' movement. We're pretty sure many of them like what's old is cool again...although being old ourselves...we still don't think young hipsters regard us as being cool again...if even, we ever were. They may think our 'stuff' is cool, even if we are not.

Excellent post. I have a K1 and a KP and a selection of lenses. I use the Pentax because I like the feel of them, the controls suit me. However, if it became illegal to use a Pentax tomorrow I'd be entirely happy with Nikon or Canon (I've owned and used both)! Pentax aren't spectacularly better, they're 'as good as,' just slightly different in detail.

Regarding video, the other day was Holocaust Memorial Day. I normally use the Pentaxes for video (I've even got a 'proper' Rode mic), but out of respect I didn't want to be intrusive at the service so I used my iPhone 8 plus for the video. I was delighted with the indoor speeches, though there is a lot of wind noise outdoors (I'll investigate how to avoid that). Best thing was being able to hold the phone on my lap in the hall, pointing at the speaker, and then concentrate on what they were saying. It was respectful. They did know I was videoing, by the way.
02-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #5055
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, I get the gist of what youʻre saying, but from what Iʻve seen, cell phones have had a bigger impact on point-and-shoot digital cameras more than DSLRs
What we are discussing here is similar to discussions in the IT world where some people (the more hipster inclined ones) keep saying that the PC (desktop or laptop) is dead, and soon there will only be smart phones and tablets. Apple executives are particularly inclined to issue statements like that, and their infamous recent TV commercial is in virtual denial that anything other than smart phones and tablets ever even existed. Apple 'What's a computer?' ad sparks anger - Business Insider. To quote from that Buisiness Insider article : "In this fantasy Apple world, traditional computers are so outdated that a child doesn't even know what they are. The positive news is that the Apple commercial has backfired and has seriously pi$$ed people off, not least for the child's smugness and rudeness - a spoiled brat and hipsterism at its worst.

But I believe that in both the camera and computer worlds there will always be a core of serious enthusiasts with serious equipment. I maintain a couple of websites and when making mods I have a window open for the code, another for the website, and usually one or two more windows with reference material. I could not do that on an iPhone; I do it on a a large monitor attached to a monster tower PC. I know people say you can connect a monitor and keyboard to a smart phone or tablet, and add external storage drives and loudspeakers, and DVD drives, but by the time you have got that lot spread around you might as well have it in a case and avoid the rats-nest of cables, so back to my PC tower. Mine even has a back-up tape drive in it. If I lived in a basement bed-sit with no-where for a desk, things might be different, but I don't.

I do believe that the fad for all-in-one devices like the smart phone will pass. I think you are right about the lesser demand for entry level DSLRs though, as with P&S cameras.
QuoteQuote:
Our local cameras store currently sells four excellent to mint condition Pentax KM (with 50mm $250-$350) and that is $$$ Ricoh will never see.
Sounds like they are in stock, but are they selling? And at those prices?? We see insane prices for K1000s, and the KM was superior to it, but few people know of the KM. It is amazing that your shop has four at once, I have never even seen one over the years.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 02-04-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Minor typo