Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #5071
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to Pentax because I wanted something that gave me a lot more control over my images than I got with my cell phone. So far, I have been very happy with what Pentax offers. Allof the entry level cameras at Walmart and best Buy were limited and too expensive for what they did. I think it was a B and H you tube video that led me to the K-50. I want a KP but don't need one.

Norm, I don't think that the kid in the apple commercial is being smug, I thought he was just ignorant. I do get the snotty vibe in the commercial overall and I hate the background music that is piercing my eardrums when it comes on. I am not an Apple guy but if you like them, good for you. I may end up getting the wife an I-phone but not an X or *8. That is too much cash for something she wants to take and make calls and texts on. And navigate when in new cities.

02-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #5072
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I went to Pentax because I wanted something that gave me a lot more control over my images than I got with my cell phone. So far, I have been very happy with what Pentax offers. Allof the entry level cameras at Walmart and best Buy were limited and too expensive for what they did. I think it was a B and H you tube video that led me to the K-50. I want a KP but don't need one.

Norm, I don't think that the kid in the apple commercial is being smug, I thought he was just ignorant. I do get the snotty vibe in the commercial overall and I hate the background music that is piercing my eardrums when it comes on. I am not an Apple guy but if you like them, good for you. I may end up getting the wife an I-phone but not an X or *8. That is too much cash for something she wants to take and make calls and texts on. And navigate when in new cities.
Doing my working career I was responsible for running and maintaining both Apple and PCs in my classroom. I don't really consider myself an Apple guy. I consider a guy who with full knowledge of both systems made a choice. The disadvantage to Apple for me was in the electronics section of my department, you can't build Apple computers. I still see PCs and kind of "hobbyist" computers. Great for folks who want a hobby, not so great for people who just want to plug it in and get started.
02-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #5073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Doing my working career I was responsible for running and maintaining both Apple and PCs in my classroom. I don't really consider myself an Apple guy. I consider a guy who with full knowledge of both systems made a choice. The disadvantage to Apple for me was in the electronics section of my department, you can't build Apple computers. I still see PCs and kind of "hobbyist" computers. Great for folks who want a hobby, not so great for people who just want to plug it in and get started.

PCs are also the computer for people with a budget. Or people who don't want to spend $1500* for a new computer.

* I'll admit to not really knowing what a new Apple computer costs today. But I do know that I've assembled my own PCs multiple times over the past 30 years and have never approached $1000 worth of components for one system. My kid saved up birthday and Christmas and allowance money and bought a refurbished Windows laptop of reasonable spec for $200. What kind of Apple, used or otherwise, could you get for $200?

And if you're open to Linux, I've installed lighter distros on multiple machines where they run very nicely. This on long-since paid for 6, 8, 10-year-old hardware that Win10 would not run on. I doubt there's any Apple equivalent to that.
02-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #5074
Loyal Site Supporter

...not so great for people who just want to plug it in and get started.
I used to be known as the go to guy for many decades short of calling in tech support. I and site were pretty much PC only. Whenever anyone would come to me with an Apple problem my usual response would be: "Use your intuition."

Mean of me perhaps. But I found many people who could not plug in an Apple and get started.

02-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #5075
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
PCs are also the computer for people with a budget. Or people who don't want to spend $1500* for a new computer.

* I'll admit to not really knowing what a new Apple computer costs today. But I do know that I've assembled my own PCs multiple times over the past 30 years and have never approached $1000 worth of components for one system. My kid saved up birthday and Christmas and allowance money and bought a refurbished Windows laptop of reasonable spec for $200. What kind of Apple, used or otherwise, could you get for $200?

And if you're open to Linux, I've installed lighter distros on multiple machines where they run very nicely. This on long-since paid for 6, 8, 10-year-old hardware that Win10 would not run on. I doubt there's any Apple equivalent to that.
That has always been true. One store's motto was "If you can afford it, buy an Apple." I understand there is cheaper. That's always been true. My current machines are 2 10 year old machines, two 7 year old machines and a 2 year old machine. MY working machine had a 27 inch monitor and quad core i7. When I specked it out, there were no comparable PCs more than a couple hundred buck cheaper and some were more expensive. Although I could have built a hackingtosh for about half the price, using non-apple components. My first Apple a 6100, went for 17 years before dying. At the end all it was good for was word processing, but the hardware kept going. But I also have a friend, COO of a big computer firm, who told me he just bought everyone in his family and extended family Apples, because he was tired of having to trouble shot everyone's machines.

No one ever said you can't get it done with a PC. What we said is, it's a more pleasant experience with an Apple. You desire to build machines to save money, that's the hobby aspect i was talking about. PCs are great hobby machines, Apples are great right off the shelf. It all depends on what you value. Over the years I came to the conclusion time spent messing with computers is time wasted. It's all about how much you value your time and what you want to do with it. Personally, I'd rather take pictures.

But I have to say, I'm probably one of the least affluent Apple users. Everyone's desire for what Apple offers is different. And many can't afford both Apple product and everything else they deem important. For me, a good fast dependable "no hassle" computer is a priority. You pays your money and you takes your pick.

I will gladly pay whatever it takes to never open another computer case in my whole life. I taught people how to do it, but personally I don't find it rewarding.

Last edited by normhead; 02-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.
02-07-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #5076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That has always been true. One store's motto was "If you can afford it, buy an Apple." I understand there is cheaper. That's always been true. My current machines are 2 10 year old machines, two 7 year old machines and a 2 year old machine. MY working machine had a 27 inch monitor and quad core i7. When I specked it out, there were no comparable PCs more than a couple hundred buck cheaper and some were more expensive. Although I could have built a hackingtosh for about half the price, using non-apple components. My first Apple a 6100, went for 17 years before dying. At the end all it was good for was word processing, but the hardware kept going. But I also have a friend, COO of a big computer firm, who told me he just bought everyone in his family and extended family Apples, because he was tired of having to trouble shot everyone's machines.

No one ever said you can't get it done with a PC. What we said is, it's a more pleasant experience with an Apple. You desire to build machines to save money, that's the hobby aspect i was talking about. PCs are great hobby machines, Apples are great right off the shelf. It all depends on what you value. Over the years I came to the conclusion time spent messing with computers is time wasted. It's all about how much you value your time and what you want to do with it. Personally, I'd rather take pictures.

But I have to say, I'm probably one of the least affluent Apple users. Everyone's desire for what Apple offers is different. And many can't afford both Apple product and everything else they deem important. You pays your money and you takes your pick.

The vast majority of the time my Windows machines just work. When they don't it's more often than not my fault, for doing things like trying to install multiple operating systems. I do like tinkering, but there are times where it gets frustrating. But not nearly enough to pay a lot more for an Apple. I'll keep the difference and buy camera gear.

I spend more time troubleshooting my parents' computer than my own. Maybe I should recommend they go buy an Apple. Except that I'd bet my dad has it in his head that Apples are for granola eating liberals, and he couldn't do that any more than he'd trade in his pickup truck for a Subaru wagon. It took a long time to convince him to use free/open source LibreOffice rather than paying hundreds of dollars for Microsoft Office, probably because only hippies think anything comes for free.
02-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #5077
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My PC is eight years old and still does everything I ask of it, including working with raw files from the D850 in Photoshop, using a 27" 4K monitor. It probably couldn't run the latest games, but that's OK with me as I don't play anything more demanding than World of Warcraft. Of course, during the time I've had it, I've increased the memory, upgraded the graphics card and put a bigger SSD in it, but the GPU is the same old first generation i7 processor. I don't think Apples can be upgraded in a like fashion, but I don't really know, having never even owned an Apple product. Personally, I wouldn't want an all-in-one machine as if it goes belly up, you have lost the monitor as well. You pays your money and takes your choice.

And to go back to thread, I haven't seen a Pentax in the wild since I was in Toronto in 2016.

02-07-2018, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #5078

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Last night I met up with a new to me, group of photographers for a bit of a meet and greet. I was pleasantly surprised at not being the only Pentax user. Some were using K-3s and others were using film bodies. Here's a photo I took of part of the group:

02-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #5079
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

New top level Mac (MacBook?) with any upgrades runs over $5K. Hard pass on that. If I had that kind of cash to spend, I would have bought Ron Boggs' 600mm that he had for sale.
02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #5080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
not being the only Pentax user. Some were using K-3s and others were using film bodies.
Sounds like there were several Pentax kits there - must be a record Pentax per capita event!

Do you know whether Don's Photo is doing a decent business with Pentax? Whenever I've dropped in during my visits to Winnipeg, the staff has been quite keen on the brand.

The Forks - nice place for a meet-up!

- Craig
02-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #5081

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Do you know whether Don's Photo is doing a decent business with Pentax? Whenever I've dropped in during my visits to Winnipeg, the staff has been quite keen on the brand.
- Craig
Craig, I just ordered the DA*300mm from them - it had to be ordered and the guesstimate was about 4 weeks before it will arrive. The West Kildonan store manager shoots Pentax - both film and with a K-3 so he's keen on the brand. Unfortunately they don't (nor does Henry's) carry any actual Pentax stock - so everything has to be ordered in. The do price match (as does Henry's), so I was able to get a good price on the lens. What I liked about Don's was the ease of being able to return it if it doesn't do what I want. There's no real reason to suspect it won't be everything everyone says it is, I just wasn't comfortable with ordering something I've never seen and not having the option to return it.

Stevi
02-07-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
he do price match (as does Henry's), so I was able to get a good price on the lens. What I liked about Don's was the ease of being able to return it if it doesn't do what I want.
I've always had a problem with price match. Some other store offers me a great price, you don't. I'm not getting the low price accept for the part where you want to take everyone else's business, not by pricing competitively but by matching people who do. I'm more of a live and let live guy. If you want my business based on price, be the first to offer that price. I like original, not "me too".
02-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #5083
Veteran Member

I've always had a problem with price match. Some other store offers me a great price, you don't. I'm not getting the low price accept for the part where you want to take everyone else's business, not by pricing competitively but by matching people who do. I'm more of a live and let live guy. If you want my business based on price, be the first to offer that price. I like original, not "me too".
I like that attitude when dealing with local businesses. I certainly am not using some local businesses price to get amazon to lower theirs. I don't love paying sales tax but Amazon charges it also so why would I order online if I can get it locally? I won't.
02-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #5084
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

What I don't understand about 'price match' is the face of the people who do the research to find they can buy cheaper somewhere else and then go ask for price match. Why not just buy from the guy offering at the good price?

Or is it the Ts&Cs of the cheap guys. Then you would have a 'get what you pay for' economy.

Returnability of products that have been opened costs the seller a lot - they cannot sell it as a genuine new item.
02-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #5085
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I like that attitude when dealing with local businesses. I certainly am not using some local businesses price to get amazon to lower theirs. I don't love paying sales tax but Amazon charges it also so why would I order online if I can get it locally? I won't.

When I look at a price I do not care whether it is the cost of the goods or tax I am paying. I look at how much I pay to get the thing I am buying. What I hate are the cheaters in the market who show a price before adding on compulsory extras. The price includes tax and credit card using fee and ... . If I do not have a choice about paying those amounts, do not display any liar price on the web site or the display stand.