Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #5116

Maybe it's just me (in fact I think it is) but I never thought the colors on cameras looked that great. I always thought they looked kind of garish. Give me black any day of the week, twice on Sunday.
With 2 exceptions. Nikon made a very nice looking red. And for a smaller body, like the kp or a mirrorless Fuji or Pana, the silver I always thought looked kinda classy. But I guess that's the beauty of the world. There's different options for everyone's style.

02-24-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #5117
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
Maybe it's just me (in fact I think it is) but I never thought the colors on cameras looked that great. I always thought they looked kind of garish. Give me black any day of the week, twice on Sunday.
With 2 exceptions. Nikon made a very nice looking red. And for a smaller body, like the kp or a mirrorless Fuji or Pana, the silver I always thought looked kinda classy. But I guess that's the beauty of the world. There's different options for everyone's style.
I'm old enough to remember when you got your choice of color for a phone

so long as it was black and it came with a rotary dial

I am not old enough to remember when Mr. Ford would sell you any color of model T you wanted, so long as you wanted black

different colors for cameras, not high on my priority list
02-24-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #5118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am not old enough to remember when Mr. Ford would sell you any color of model T you wanted, so long as you wanted black
Although my first car was a Ford (and my last Ford), it wasnʻt a Model T and BTW, the black only saying is a myth. The Model T came in many different colors although black was by far the most common color. Actually in the first 5 years of production it came in other colors, then the following 11 years only black, and then the last two years was available in various colors again. So there is a bit of truth and fiction to the saying.

Model T had many shades; black dried fastest

Last edited by Alex645; 02-24-2018 at 12:23 PM.
02-24-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #5119
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Although my first car was a Ford (and my last Ford), it wasnʻt a Model T and BTW, the black only saying is a myth. The Model T came in many different colors although black was by far the most common color. Actually in the first 5 years of production it came in other colors, then the following 11 years only black, and then the last two years was available in various colors again. So there is a bit of truth and fiction to the saying.

sorry, did you think I meant that the Model T only came in black for all of its production ??

I didn't but I guess I could have have specified that

your own source confirms that:

" Indeed, Model T's came only in black for 12 out of 19 model years. But in those seven other model years other colors - such as green, bright red, dark blue, brown, maroon and gray - were available. "

another source:

" But when the Model T first came on the market, customers could get almost any common color… except for black! Blue, gray, green, and red were all available, but not black. The first black Model T didn’t roll off the assembly line until five years later. Towards the end of the Model T’s life, six new colors were introduced, from Royal Maroon to Phoenix Brown to Highland Green. In between, it’s true, there was over a decade of monochromatic Model T’s. Some have said that Henry Ford made the switch to black paint because it dried faster, but history suggests it was just an efficiency issue: black paint was cheap and durable, and turning out only one color of car cheaper still. Or maybe Henry Ford, despite a spotty personal record on bigotry, just decided that “black is beautiful” fifty years before it was trendy. "

The Debunker: Did the Model T Ford Only Come in Black? - Woot

according to Wiki's article of the Model 500 phone:

For the initial years, from 1950 to 1953, the 500 was available only in black with a metal finger wheel. In 1954, color telephone sets were available in ivory, green, dark gray, red, brown, beige, yellow, and blue.[4][5] Gray, blue, yellow, and red sets were initially assembled with black dials, until the colored parts became available by 1955. So called two-tone color varieties were available, which consisted of a black set having the housing substituted with a color plastic part.[4] They were offered as an attractive color combination for a reduced fee from the price of a full color telephone.[citation needed] In 1957, gray, blue, beige, and brown sets were replaced with lighter pastel hues in light gray, aqua blue, light beige, white, and pink colors. Issuance of brown sets, however, continued for multi-line business sets for several years. Turquoise sets were added in 1964, and several colors, including pink and light gray, were discontinued in the late 1960s. By 1955, all color 500s were produced with clear finger wheels, while black sets retained the metal finger wheel until about 1964, when a new dial design was released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_500_telephone

so I was wrong on that one, sorry

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-24-2018 at 01:33 PM.
03-08-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5120
Pentaxian

I just opened the forum and the ad that came on the page was for CANON mirrorless camera.
03-08-2018, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #5121
Pentaxian

The internet is so smart I get ads for Canon and Nikon gear, but so dumb I don't get alerted to specials on Pentax gear.
03-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #5122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The internet is so smart I get ads for Canon and Nikon gear, but so dumb I don't get alerted to specials on Pentax gear.
That's the Pentax marketing dept performing to their usual standard.

03-09-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #5123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In terms of rarity, I was in the only camera shop in Lancaster, a city of 100k people, and apart from me there is only one other customer who shoots Pentax. The irony is, they rate the Pentax higher than CaNikonSonyLumix yet stock nothing for our wonderful brand. Although, I did get my K3 from there, it turns out the other Pentaxian likes to buy kit but isn’t interested in using it, so I get the odd tremendous bargain.

Re. Colour, my K30 is blue (the black ones on eBay were £50 more) I rather like that and the crystal red and I am particularly fond of the white but they do rather look like they should come with a snowboard. They don’t really look like a serious camera which is a shame because they are very capable. As for the K50 colour palette, some of those cameras look like they should have been rebranded as Tonka. In my opinion they took the colour thing too far and I don’t think it helped the brand. It would be interesting to know just how many people of either gender became pentaxians because their Ks-1 was pink, pale blue or strangely, chocolate brown. I do however quite fancy a black and white Ks-2, purely because they are a bit of a looker

Re, Model T Fords, I mistakenly thought they only came in black, the other colours being other models and a lot of that was down to Henry Ford’s often quoted colour statement. One thing you can say about this forum, you learn something new every thread, well, I do, and it is not just about cameras
03-09-2018, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5124
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . One thing you can say about this forum, you learn something new every thread, well, I do, and it is not just about cameras
some times I think the threads on this forum are good preparation for

Scrabble

Jeopardy game show

trivia night at your local establishment

knowledge about wildlife

as well as photography
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #5125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scrabble

Jeopardy game show

trivia night at your local establishment

knowledge about wildlife

as well as photography
I had to smile about the fact that photography came last on the list
03-09-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #5126
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I had to smile about the fact that photography came last on the list
frankly [ and being honest ]

I have better skills at the other categories

but I keep trying to gain more knowledge, skill and experience at photography
03-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #5127
Pentaxian

knowledge about wildlife
Something that strikes me about the forum pics is the very high proportion of natural history shots. Is this general among enthusiast photographers, or is it a Pentax thing?
03-09-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #5128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Something that strikes me about the forum pics is the very high proportion of natural history shots. Is this general among enthusiast photographers, or is it a Pentax thing?
I'd think that outdoor photographers would be more likely to gravitate the Pentax cameras for their ruggedness and weather resistance.

Folks with other brands would go inside earlier and at the first sign of inclement weather and lose all the "keepers" that the Pentax crowd gets.
03-09-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5129
Pentaxian

I shoot Pentax but most of my clients shoot other brands. A D800 failed on a trip and the guy didn't have a back up. A Canon lens fell apart , as in into two pieces. Given that in 8 years I haven't done more than 15 guided photographer trips that's a pretty high percentage. The Nikon was a 6 day trip, the Canon fell apart on a 3 day weekend trip.

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.
03-09-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
IDK, but I'd theorize that because Pentax offers weather-resistance with even their entry level DSLRs, special features like astrotracer, pixel-shift, and IBIS, there is a higher proportion of outdoor (and night, and tripod-friendly photography) vs. subjects demanding high fps or other areas where non-Pentax cameras excel.

With medium format too, Pentax is simply designed better for outdoor use. Ever since the film days, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiyas, etc, were more known and used for studio work and weddings.