Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #5161

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Print them photo-books. I have pictures taken of my Grandmother taken back in the 1917 when she was 20. For archival purposes, anything but paper is probably going to be obsolete in their life times.

Many of my digital files are already long gone.
I did a trip to London, UK in 2009 and have finally started printing shots at 13x19 to hang on the wall. Almost 10 years later! I thought of a photo book for the shots that aren't good enough for the wall - this would work for the kids too. Good idea.

03-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #5162
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For archival purposes, anything but paper is probably going to be obsolete in their life times.
Exactly. Not just that, but people are more likely to have respect for a photo or paper document than something that needs a machine to read, even if the machine is to hand.

I was watching a YouTube video of someone examining an old personal computer that his uncle had left behind. There was a stack of floppies and he was picking them up one-by-one and seeing if he could skim them straight into a rubbish bin on the opposite side of the room. I am not sure if he even knew what floppies were, and I wondered what family records there might have been on them. He then tried to boot the computer and it would not - because it did not have a hard drive and needed a boot floppy, but he clearly did not know this, or care. The whole computer then went in the skip; it was an Amstrad CP/M machine.
03-14-2018, 02:49 PM - 5 Likes   #5163
Veteran Member

I did a photoshoot with a professional model today. She said she had heard of Pentax, but never seen one. Well, she has now!
03-14-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #5164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote

Cloud data is not secure. At best I would use it as a back-up for my own storage regime (but I don't) and it is certainly unwise to use it as your only form of storage. .
To prevent heartache, Lord Lucan, you need offsite backup of some kind. If thieves take your computer or your house burns down, the USB drive plugged into it goes too.

Cloud is instantly more convenient for me that it's worth paying for rather than the alternative - a routine of swapping USB disks that I'd keep in sync and then take to store daily or weekly or whatever at my place of work or a relative's house.

If security is an issue (either you're paranoid or have a commercial/professional interest or genuinely private stuff or whatever) you can use third party encryption as a wrapper over your files before you replicate them to the cloud.

03-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #5165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Everyone knows the "new car smell", but photographers smashing your nose up to the back of a camera also knows that "new camera smell.

I take a sniff of my grandfather's Zenit when I take it out. I am not going to be ashamed of thinking I am the only one thinking of camera smells...

My k-5 does not have a smell like that... Definitely something got lost with technological advances
03-14-2018, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #5166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I take a sniff of my grandfather's Zenit when I take it out. I am not going to be ashamed of thinking I am the only one thinking of camera smells...
When I worked in a photo lab, I used to be able to be able to smell different bulk loaded undeveloped films and know if it was Fuji Neopan, Ilford, Kodak, etc.

Anyone remember the first time you licked the 120 film tape to close the roll on Ilford and was pleasantly surprised it tasted minty sweet? Kodak was a bitter nastiness.
03-15-2018, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #5167

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I first read that as the owner of the cloud service itself, and such a scenario is as likely to happen with them as with the end user. Most retail cloud services (which can even be one-man outfits) purchase server space from larger, wholesale, cloud service companies, and if the retail cloud service goes bust or its owner does a flit - end of story. That has happened. The retailer might have relied on the wholesaler to do backups, but good luck with dealing with the wholesaler afterwards to get them back. Data (including backups) can be also be physically lost in crashes or to malicious hackers anyway.

Cloud data is not secure. At best I would use it as a back-up for my own storage regime (but I don't) and it is certainly unwise to use it as your only form of storage.

It is hard to understand why cloud storage has become fashionable at a time when hard drives (including removable ones) have become so capacious and inexpensive. IT professionals and others in the know are generally cynical about cloud; my son works for a large cloud provider and he and some others there wear a T-shirt that has the acronym "TCIOSEC", which means "The cloud is only someone else's computer". Whether "someone else's computer" is more secure than your own depends on how careful a person you are.

There are many cases of people and companies losing data permanently :

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Amazon EC2 Crash - SiliconANGLE

Amazon's Cloud Crash Disaster Permanently Destroyed Many Customers' Data - Business Insider

What happens when cloud data is lost?

Cloud Computing Users Are Losing Data, Symantec Finds

My story, not cloud, but email, I was with an ISP who suddenly stopped handling email and lost some for me. They claimed they sent me a notice by email, but I never got it because they sent it to the previous and now defunct email address that I had used when setting up with them 10 years earlier, not to my then current address with themselves. Idiots. It shows the sort of thing that can happen. That was Demon, now owned by Vodaphone.
LordLucan, I copied the links in your post to send to my brother-in-law who has been wrestling with my late computer crash that cost him a week of agony trying to reconstruct my files--since the cloud storage we used as a backup was unusable for some reason. We had discussed how cloud storage isn't the end-all that some people think, so I thought he might be interested in those articles. Thank you!

03-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #5168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
When I worked in a photo lab, I used to be able to be able to smell different bulk loaded undeveloped films and know if it was Fuji Neopan, Ilford, Kodak, etc.

Anyone remember the first time you licked the 120 film tape to close the roll on Ilford and was pleasantly surprised it tasted minty sweet? Kodak was a bitter nastiness.
I remember the darkroom chemicals smell from my visits to the photo lab during my PhD. Not so unpleasant but then, I am a biologist, I know other "smells". I was just looking/assisting a bit, out of curiosity. Maybe I should have taken a course...

Yeah, Kodak 120 is still bitter. Luckily, you dont have to lick Fuji.
03-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #5169
Forum Member

Japanese watchmaker with a taste for Pentax cameras.

At 13m 18s he seems to be using K-5 with DFA 100mm F2.8 WR and nonstandard rubber hood.

Seems like Youtube videos won't embed if there is time code in url. Bug?
Timed link for convenience: https://youtu.be/1moRfIXCfak?t=13m18s

Last edited by Aberrator; 03-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.
03-24-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #5170
Pentaxian

I just returned from a trip to tourist meccas of Jerusalem and Petra (in Jordan). Almost all of the non-phone cameras were Canons & Nikons. I saw only a couple of Sonys and no Fujis but I could not ID every camera in the scrum of tourists in the warren of Jerusalem's alleys so who knows what else was there.

I did see one other Pentax! Yay! It was a black body APS-C model, with a longish zoom, and a neck strap with "Pentax" in red letters. And if we think we are rare, I have to wonder what the fellow with the Vivitar film camera thinks of his brand's marketshare.

BigMackCam will appreciate that the highlight of my camera-spotting was that I saw my first Zenit ever. It was for sale in the flea market in Jaffa (Tel Aviv). As a red-blooded American living in a country that fears red-menace Rooskie cameras, I'd never seen one of these Commie-cams in the flesh.
03-24-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #5171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the Pro/Con AppleTalk upthread - I really don’t want to be an Apple person, but it cannot be avoided. We have five Apple phones and three tablets on our Family Plan; five MacBook Pro laptops in the parent/children HH and one PC - my spec-built Dell box. I’m the only person notI an educator in the bunch, which is the reason they’re Apple people. I have significantly more speed, power and storage than any of the Apple gear and my cost was 65% of a like-configured MacPro for more convenience (ports on the back of the monitor? - whose bright idea was that?), but Apple tightly controls its architecture so that everything is Plug and Play. If you know MS systems you’re fine and I’ve been MS-aware since the late 80’s, but God forbid you should buy a Win10 PC and expect to do something your own way if you aren’t.

I do think Apple people are a but smug and closed-minded. I have 2 decades of experience to justify my opinion.

In many ways Pentax is its own universe. If you know the system you’re fine. The other guys are awfully smug about their gear, too.
03-24-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #5172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
....BigMackCam will appreciate that the highlight of my camera-spotting was that I saw my first Zenit ever. It was for sale in the flea market in Jaffa (Tel Aviv). As a red-blooded American living in a country that fears red-menace Rooskie cameras, I'd never seen one of these Commie-cams in the flesh.
Just be glad the stall-holder didn't throw it at you - it would survive but you wouldn't (dead before you hit the ground, they're so heavy)!
03-24-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Just be glad the stall-holder didn't throw it at you - it would survive but you wouldn't (dead before you hit the ground, they're so heavy)!
LOL! Yes, it was a heavy beast with an interesting trapezoidal reflex mirror (APS-CCCP format???? ).

He only asked 50 shekels ($15) for it and I'm sure there was room to haggle. But my luggage was already at capacity so buying an ancient Soviet boat anchor was not an option.

Last edited by photoptimist; 03-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
03-24-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #5174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
. But my luggage was already at capacity so buying an ancient Soviet boat anchor was not an option.
(Laughs).

03-24-2018, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #5175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

REALLY Rare!

We visited the High Museum here in Atlanta today, to see the - sadly too small - exhibit of iconic photos from the Civil Rights era. Good stuff! Not many visitors, perhaps because of a March Madness game, and the March today. I decided to exercise my LX with its 50 mm f 1.2 and winder. That big hunk 'o' metal and glass should have aroused attention from any CAMERA folks around, but all to be seen were cell phones! Alas!

Our meal at Table 1280 did somewhat ease the hurt. Yumm!