Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #5191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I just spent five days in Seville and Madrid. Pentax count, zero. While there I did handle a Nikon and a canon and I am frankly unimpressed, (other than in af). my Nikon using friend however was blown away by my K3. Saw quite a few Sonys though, their advertising is clearly working.
Yes, Pentax is pretty rare over here, though I have the feeling that they are growing slightly, though this is due to the used gear I see for sale locally, or it may be that I've become more proficient at finding Pentax gear.

CaNikon gear always leaves me feeling unimpressed by build quality and how easy they are to use, they're not a patch on Pentax in these regards.

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
Traveling on vacations nearly every year, I thought I’d see another Pentax in use, but nada until last August in Yellowstone National Park. Actually he spotted me first as I was carrying a both K-5 and a P67. It was the P67 that got noticed first and then I saw he was using a K-1.

Then a few weeks ago I was strolling Manhattan and I saw a young woman, early 20s I’d say, with a Spotmatic. It’s not the first film camera I’ve seen recently, I’m starting to see more and more of those.
I see film cameras more and more often over the last few years.

04-28-2018, 02:51 AM   #5192
Pentaxian

@ maw: The guys at Raw Therapee has solved 'the mystery' of processing pixel shift images better than Light Room, it seems: Pixel Shift & RawTherapee 5.1 | Vineyard Photography

Maybe the author of the article in your link should have tested Raw Therapee before he started bashing Pentax' Pixel Shift tech.
04-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #5193
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Maybe the author of the article in your link should have tested Raw Therapee before he started bashing Pentax' Pixel Shift tech.
I've known and used Raw Therapee for some time, but what I was referring to is not the article itself, though unintelligent, "He compares Ian Norman's Image Stack to Pixel Shift.
They are two totally different areas even if the concept is similar. But what bothers me is the comments at the bottom of the article where it is written VIEW COMMENTS (195),
try to read some, it seems do not know Pentax or they want to laugh.
04-29-2018, 03:45 AM   #5194
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I've known and used Raw Therapee for some time, but what I was referring to is not the article itself, though unintelligent, "He compares Ian Norman's Image Stack to Pixel Shift.
They are two totally different areas even if the concept is similar. But what bothers me is the comments at the bottom of the article where it is written VIEW COMMENTS (195),
try to read some, it seems do not know Pentax or they want to laugh.
The article follows the new Hand-Held Pixel Shift - or what it's called - feature on the K-1II, and the general opinion is that it's just some form of super-resolution (because of the long waiting times, and the fact that it's improbable that the camera can move the sensor precisely one pixel when wide movement on all six axes come into play).

If it's indeed super-resolution, it can be done with every camera. Non PS-proper, but HHPS.
I'm doing it with my cellphone (20-pic bursts, underexposed one stop for DR) since quite some time.

However, I agree that in general DPR commenters don't know jack sweet.

04-29-2018, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The article follows the new Hand-Held Pixel Shift - or what it's called - feature on the K-1II, and the general opinion is that it's just some form of super-resolution (because of the long waiting times, and the fact that it's improbable that the camera can move the sensor precisely one pixel when wide movement on all six axes come into play).

If it's indeed super-resolution, it can be done with every camera. Non PS-proper, but HHPS.
I'm doing it with my cellphone (20-pic bursts, underexposed one stop for DR) since quite some time.

However, I agree that in general DPR commenters don't know jack sweet.
An article written at least partly by the "I've got a PhD in physics" (so that's why I'm working doing camera tests?) Rishi, The same Rishi who conducted the wonky bike AF tests and refused to concede he was wrong. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Rishi says.
04-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #5196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm new to Pentax but I'm trying to start a photo club at the college I attend so I'll see if there's anyone else who shoots Pentax. Maybe I'll try to turn some people over from Canikon. :P
Good luck with that
04-29-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #5197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Good luck with that
Unfortunately, OH SO TRUE!

OTOH, last Monday at our U3A Digital Photo Group meeting I gave a half-decent presentation on "Action Shooting!", and I effectively said that "Pentax DSLRs aren't that good at that sort of thing!" - but then showed a few "action" shots of my own (mainly from airshows), which proved that they CAN be IF you know what you are doing!

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-29-2018 at 01:06 PM.
04-29-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #5198
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
@ maw: The guys at Raw Therapee has solved 'the mystery' of processing pixel shift images better than Light Room
I posted RawTherapee 5.1 two days before the "Vineyard Photography" article, but that's not really important, the most important thing is the generalist media's ostentation to boycott Ricoh/Pentax's efforts.

Pentax has many records in its history.

But it seems that ordinary people "very uninformed! By the media" do not care much. If all these improvements had been made by Canon or Nikon and now Sony,

(they do other good things to be impartial) then everyone from magazines to photography sites would have praised who knows how long. Talking about Pentax almost seems to name a gang of engineers

commanded by a dictator or a visionary. Human stupidity in the midst of globalisation has no borders.

Raw Therapee is an excellent Raw converter, which separates the individual shots taken in the RGGB mode, and you can process every single channel, no other software (except DCU)

I think is able to do the same thing. Affinity does something similar but only processes the first shot, without seeing any artifacts. Photoshop and other software do not seem very interested in development.

"The mind is like a parachute, it only works if you open" Thomas Dewar / James Dewar.

Last edited by maw; 04-29-2018 at 07:21 PM.
04-29-2018, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #5199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh the parachute metaphor, how about the mind is like an inflatable raft. I only works if you blow it.
05-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #5200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm currently in Manila and I happened to drop by one of the brick and mortar stores that exclusively sells Pentax. That was the first time I saw and touched a KP. I asked the guy what grip was on it the camera and he had no idea what I was talking about. Can you imagine that? The employee of the exclusive store doesn't even know what comes with the KP. I believe we will really be rare in the near future.
05-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #5201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I asked the guy what grip was on it the camera and he had no idea what I was talking about. Can you imagine that? The employee of the exclusive store doesn't even know what comes with the KP.
Every store has a "Chumlee". In other words, itʻs possible that if you asked about any Canikony model, he also would have been ignorant. But considering that the KP is made in the Philippines, thatʻs pretty inexcusable.
05-02-2018, 03:19 AM - 11 Likes   #5202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was at a display garden in a place called Blackwood on the weekend. In the distance I spied a young lady taking pictures with what, from a distance appeared to be some kind of 50mm lens. As we got closer I heard the familiar muted kerchunk of a Pentax shutter and took closer notice. It turned out she was shooting with a K-p and FA43. We had a brief chat and she said I was the first Pentaxian she had ever met in the wild. She had a hankering to buy a FA77. I didn't dissuade her from purchasing my favourite all time lens.

This little ditty came to mind as we were driving away.

I met a young lass from Bendigo
at a Blackwood flower and garden show.
With her K-p and her '43,
she was a Pentaxian, just like me.
05-05-2018, 07:26 AM - 4 Likes   #5203
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I was at a display garden in a place called Blackwood on the weekend. In the distance I spied a young lady taking pictures with what, from a distance appeared to be some kind of 50mm lens. As we got closer I heard the familiar muted kerchunk of a Pentax shutter and took closer notice. It turned out she was shooting with a K-p and FA43. We had a brief chat and she said I was the first Pentaxian she had ever met in the wild. She had a hankering to buy a FA77. I didn't dissuade her from purchasing my favourite all time lens.

This little ditty came to mind as we were driving away.

I met a young lass from Bendigo
at a Blackwood flower and garden show.
With her K-p and her '43,
she was a Pentaxian, just like me.
That was me! Nature wandering Pentaxian for life. Thanks for the delightful chat and further enabling my FA77 decision.
05-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #5204

The last time i saw another Pentax shooter was in highschool, back when the school photography club had a couple of SP1000s available to lend. Even then all the other kids wanted Nikons. That's more decades ago than i wanna count.

The local big camera store, Lozeau, does sell a lot of Pentax gear, or so a salesguy there once told me.
05-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #5205
Pentaxian

Yesterday, I spotted a Pro shooting his customer with a Pentax 6X7 (with wooden hand) and some takumars.