Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 01:00 AM   #5221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most surprised recently, a camera shop in a larger nearby town does carry some Pentax gear, two KS-2's and two KP's even a limited 21 and XS 40, unfortunately the other lenses they had were sigma, but I'm sure they would get in Pentax lenses. Even more surprising they had quite a range of Leica as well.

06-13-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #5222
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Most surprised recently, a camera shop in a larger nearby town does carry some Pentax gear, two KS-2's and two KP's even a limited 21 and XS 40, unfortunately the other lenses they had were sigma, but I'm sure they would get in Pentax lenses. Even more surprising they had quite a range of Leica as well.
You realize, BG, that in Australia, Pentax, Sigma and Leica all have the same importer - CR Kennedy?

Just saying, unlikely to be a coincidence.
06-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #5223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The shop is called The New Camera House, very impressive shop for these days of online purchasing. It did not surprise me to see the Sigma lenses there, but I would have preferred to have seen Pentax instead, and Sigma as an other option. We did discuss the K-1's and upcoming lenses. Yes I did know C.R.K. for Pentax and Sigma, but did not realise they did Leica as well
06-23-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #5224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the ferry to Vestmannaeyjar in Iceland today. Pouring rain, densely overcast, horrible day for photographing what would otherwise be a beautiful location. But as I'm standing at the railing outside in the cold and wet trying to not get seasick, with my K-3ii, another guy walks up with a huge piece of kit. It's a 645z. I pick up mine and point to the Pentax logo, he says "same camera, mine is a lot bigger". That may be my first confirmed Pentax siting in the wild.

06-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #5225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
On the ferry to Vestmannaeyjar in Iceland today. Pouring rain, densely overcast, horrible day for photographing what would otherwise be a beautiful location. But as I'm standing at the railing outside in the cold and wet trying to not get seasick, with my K-3ii, another guy walks up with a huge piece of kit. It's a 645z. I pick up mine and point to the Pentax logo, he says "same camera, mine is a lot bigger". That may be my first confirmed Pentax siting in the wild.
That is pretty cool!

My last in the wild setting was last July in Washington State a gentleman from Australia had a K1 and bumped into my father and I rocking our K3 II’s and had a nice chat.
06-23-2018, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #5226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Closest physical camera store is 2 hours from me.
Decided to check it out a couple months ago.
Picked up a camera bag of the proper size for what I needed.(nice to bring the equipment with you to make sure it fits before you drop the $}

Store is Nikon and Cannon with Tamron lenses.

At check out we got to talking a bit.
He asked what kind of gear I used.
I rattled off my Pentax film and digital bodies.
He never looked up or said anything.

Since it was a recent purchase I forgot about one camera.
I said "I also have a Pentax 645"
He stopped and looked at me and said "you have a 645".

The look was priceless, maybe not that it was Pentax but a 645.
Don't know, checked out and left.

Clarence
06-23-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #5227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Summer update on Pentaxians students in my photo classes:

Digital class of 14 students: 6 Canon, 5 Nikon, 1 Leica, 1 Fujifilm, and 1 Pentax (K-50).
Another class with only 2 students: 1 Canon, 1 Pentax (Honeywell Spotmatic F). 50% of that class shoots Pentax!

06-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #5228

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

Digital class of 14 students: 6 Canon, 5 Nikon, 1 Leica, 1 Fujifilm, and 1 Pentax (K-50).
Another class with only 2 students: 1 Canon, 1 Pentax (Honeywell Spotmatic F). 50% of that class shoots Pentax!
Ah! A Spotmatic F! Mine was stolen many years ago. Don't make me cry, please.
06-23-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Ah! A Spotmatic F! Mine was stolen many years ago. Don't make me cry, please.
The "student" is about 65 years young and I "found" and recommended this to him with a 35mm Super Takumar prime from KEH. The light meter doesn't work, but otherwise, the camera is very clean and he spent around $150 for the body and lens used and loves it.

Sorry to hear yours was stolen, but if you loved it, why not go retro?
07-01-2018, 04:04 AM   #5230
Veteran Member

K70 spotted in Taupo, New Zealand

Well, I was in Taupo, New Zealand yesterday and spotted a K70. It was two family groups, one had the K70 and the other an entry level Canon. They appeared to be from England from their accents. 50% Pentax!
07-01-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #5231
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

do you recommend to your students they look at the forum?

lots of good info for all photographers here

and you might end up converting them

when my son went to Creighton University ( a Jesuit institution ) I told the President of the University he was going there to convert the school to Lutheran

was he successful

???

they won't admit it publicly but - - -
07-01-2018, 04:39 AM   #5232

Last week, I saw a student travel group in Delphi, Greece and one student had a Pentax. I was the only one with a Pentax, I saw one Nikon and one small Olympus, otherwise mostly phones
07-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #5233

I have yet to spot another Pentax in the wild. Canon still dominates the areas I frequent (Portland, OR / Washougal, WA / Ridgefield, WA) and every once and a while, a Nikon. When I lived in the Southwest (approx. 7-8 years ago), I would see almost as many Sony Alphas as I would Canon. Now, I come across more Fuji than Sony.
07-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #5234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In late April and early May, my wife and I took an Alaskan Inland Passage cruise out of LA - which had an extra 3 sea days up and back. I got up particularly early on the morning that we were going to be entering Vancouver BC to catch the bridge and the downtown area. So, I went up to deck 19 (yup, it was a large cruise ship) and was shooting the sunrise, the approach to the bridge along with everything else. I turned around and there was another K1 looking at me. The gentleman had a K1 and a K3. We talked for a few minutes while we were both shooting the sights. He didn't know about the Pentax Forums - I asked. I saw him a couple of additional times during the 2 week cruise - departing Vancouver and then again when we were up in Glacier Bay.

So, "we" are out there. That puts my "sightings" at 3. Once in Hawaii 10 years ago in a park. Then another gentleman from Germany at Mystic SeaPort, about 3 years ago and now on the way to Alaska.

07-01-2018, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #5235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Last week, I saw a student travel group in Delphi, Greece and one student had a Pentax. I was the only one with a Pentax, I saw one Nikon and one small Olympus, otherwise mostly phones
A visit to Delphi, Greece, you would think they would ALL be Olympus!!!

---------- Post added 07-01-18 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
do you recommend to your students they look at the forum?

lots of good info for all photographers here
I do mention (and recommend) more than once to all my photo students about the PF, including friends and family, but I don't think anyone has joined Many of them own Pentax, but unfortunately they think I know all the answers and that they can come to me for future advice.

Of course that's not true, and I tell them the many different reasons why I find the Pentax Forum extremely helpful for me (the one that has lots of experience, but not all the answers).

Google and YouTube get all the hits. But even I did not know about PF even though I've owned a Pentax since the 80's. It wasn't until I had a question about a lens hood for the 18-55mm K-50 kit lens that B&H told me to come here for the answer.