Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #5251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's the Maria Sharipova/ Andre Agassi effect. Those who don't know much about cameras default to Canon, although on my last trip to Niagara Falls, Sony was catching up.
You'll have the enlighten me on this one norm. I'm not a tennis guru!

07-09-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #5252

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him pick up the soap.
07-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #5253
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So the trend on this thread is now how i didn't see a pentax by default. I can confirm i also haven't seen a pentax in about 2 years in a tourist town while on the look out.
07-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #5254
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I spoke about this a little bit yesterday How Canon lineup compares to Pentax? - PentaxForums.com

But back in the late 80s and 90s, in the US at least, Canon had an aggressive marketing campaign in magazine, newspaper, and tv commercials touting the performance of their new AF Rebels. They used Agassi as their spokesman in the commercials and were clearly marketing to the non-photographer and novice. It was very successful and, in part, why they are so big still today in North America. They got that snowball running down the hill until now it rolls off its own momentum.

Here is one as example:

"Image is everything" -- in marketing they aren't kidding!

07-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #5255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah! I vaguely remember those. Maybe that is why Canon always seemed so cheesy to me 🤣
07-22-2018, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #5256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a new movie being released in December, called "Welcome to Marwen." It stars Steve Carell and he makes extensive use of a Pentax Spotmatic in the film, as can be seen in the first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE
07-22-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5257

There is nothing wrong with 'defaulting' to Canon. They make some great cameras. My first DSLR was a 40D and it was every bit as robust as my K-3 II and was a great companion on many trips.

Pentax needs to do more marketing.

And this is equal on the 'cheese' end of the scale:

07-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #5258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
There's a new movie being released in December, called "Welcome to Marwen." It stars Steve Carell and he makes extensive use of a Pentax Spotmatic in the film, as can be seen in the first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE
Looks like a film I need to see, pentaxian or not. Thanks for the tip!
07-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #5259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That ad is comedy gold! RIP Steve Irwin. Never saw that before- thanks. There is nothing wrong with Canon-I have an old 35mm Rebel lying around somewhere, and if I was into sports I would likely shoot Canon. I have my first DSLR, a Nikon D40, still as well.
Pentax/Ricoh could definitely use more marketing!
07-22-2018, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #5260
maw
Pentaxian

Reading the comments 'I read Steve Irwin", I'm a fan of Steve, I have many of his recordings, many in VHS and some in digital broadcast later,
I remember in an episode where He and his wife, crossing South Australia from East to West, at the top of a cliff he takes the Pentax
(I'm not sure but it could be the K200) to photograph from the top of the cliff of whales, it is a very nice moment and was one of my favorite characters.
Looking for it I found a short movie where he makes use of a Pentax, a tribute to Steve Erwin and Pentax.

07-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #5261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I spoke about this a little bit yesterday How Canon lineup compares to Pentax? - PentaxForums.com

But back in the late 80s and 90s, in the US at least, Canon had an aggressive marketing campaign in magazine, newspaper, and tv commercials touting the performance of their new AF Rebels. They used Agassi as their spokesman in the commercials and were clearly marketing to the non-photographer and novice. It was very successful and, in part, why they are so big still today in North America. They got that snowball running down the hill until now it rolls off its own momentum.

Here is one as example:

Andre Agassi Image Is Everything, Canon (1990) - YouTube

"Image is everything" -- in marketing they aren't kidding!
Honestly, it is more than just advertising. Yes, they had everything from tennis stars to Formula One champions "plugging" their brand - but they also had the kind of lenses in 1995 that Pentax reached twenty+ years later. In 1995 I switched from Pentax to Canon because of those EF/USM lenses, and I came back in 2015 only because of Rebel bodies {the K-30 I have now is more reliable than the Rebel that gave up on me} and because of recent progress in Pentax lenses.
07-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #5262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Honestly, it is more than just advertising. Yes, they had everything from tennis stars to Formula One champions "plugging" their brand - but they also had the kind of lenses in 1995 that Pentax reached twenty+ years later. In 1995 I switched from Pentax to Canon because of those EF/USM lenses, and I came back in 2015 only because of Rebel bodies {the K-30 I have now is more reliable than the Rebel that gave up on me} and because of recent progress in Pentax lenses.

The bodies are what sold me over as well...being my previous cameras we're Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Panasonic. I feel like Pentax has a solid assortment of wide angle to short tell range, but the options in lengths over 200mm APS-C are much more limited than Canikon. Even Sigma, which has had solid Pentax support, won't release the 150-600 in K mount. There of course a couple nice long K mount primes though. I primarily care about the wide end for landscape, cars, and architecture so it doesn't bother me much.
07-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #5263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I run into Pentax users all the time... seriously.

Post group pictures! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Me too! Especially in Asia.
07-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #5264

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
unfortunately I have to report that I did not find any one else using Pentax at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha on July 6

but I did invite those with cameras to check out the forum here
You missed me by a couple of weeks, LOL! I do have a H D zoo pass this year so I'll be out there more but probably not until school starts again, it is just a mad house during the summer! I'll be the one with a K50 and a K01!
07-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #5265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Both of those former Tennis Stars did high profile commercials for Canon, that in the mind of the public made them the sports camera of choice, If you watched any of the grand slams you would have seen them.