Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #5281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
So common, unfortunately, because many "don't know any better" than to pop the flash up every time they take photos - like those who shoot landscapes at night or at concerts (etc.) whilst sitting at the back of the venues!
Would you believe fireworks? More than 10 years ago I was taking pictures at a fireworks display and someone was shooting them with a dslr handheld with flash. I wonder how they turned out. Would the flash have brought the shutter speed up enough to give a usable result? I'd try it myself, but I don't want to incur the loathing of everybody within 500m...

08-01-2018, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #5282

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Please tell me that at least the lens hood was on the right way...
Man, don't you know turning the hood around makes the lens more aerodynamic, and therefore faster? Flip it around and you'll pick up at least a stop and a half of speed on any lens!
08-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #5283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Man, don't you know turning the hood around makes the lens more aerodynamic, and therefore faster? Flip it around and you'll pick up at least a stop and a half of speed on any lens!
That... plus the flash for good measure...
08-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #5284
Pentaxian

I frequently have my hood turned around. If the sun is a problem I turn it around. I bike with camera and it means bouncing off my leg peddling or not. Plus the lens cap is a pain to put on with the cap.

08-01-2018, 04:06 PM - 4 Likes   #5285
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Yes, but to get the benefits of the reversed hood, the camera needs to be set to Professional-mode (P-mode).
08-01-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #5286

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, but to get the benefits of the reversed hood, the camera needs to be set to Professional-mode (P-mode).
Absolutely! I always shoot in Professional mode, unless I'm really in a hurry, in which case I shoot in the "Green Means Go!" mode!
08-01-2018, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #5287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or you can use Hyper-Professional mode, which gives you the choice of two wheels to be confused by. 😁

08-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #5288
Pentaxian

The new generation has a new word. Gatekeeping. From the urban dictionary "Gatekeeping
When someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity.
"I love punk bands like Green Day!"
"Ugh, they're not even punk. They totally sold out."

"Oh man, I love Harry Potter. I am such a geek!"
"Hardly. Talk to me when you're into theoretical physics."

"Erika Moen is my favorite queer cartoonist."
"She's not queer, she married a man!"
"Quit your gatekeeping. No one died and made you Queen of the Gays!"
Don't be a gate keeper.
08-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #5289
Pentaxian

Yes I put the strap around my neck. It keeps the camera from falling to the ground as I switch lenses. I keep thinking pros are going to see its not around my shoulder and think I suck. Or as Ken Rockwell says if I have the pentax label up without being sponsored I am a sell out!
Help out or let it be. We all make mistakes.
08-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #5290
Pentaxian

So common, unfortunately, because many "don't know any better" than to pop the flash up every time they take photos - like those who shoot landscapes at night or at concerts (etc.) whilst sitting at the back of the venues!

And it is this kind of person, and the irritation their ineffectual use of flash causes that leads to either flash or even photography bans in many venues.

No to mention the 'rules don't apply to me' types who seem so common these days.
08-02-2018, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #5291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Yes I put the strap around my neck. It keeps the camera from falling to the ground as I switch lenses. I keep thinking pros are going to see its not around my shoulder and think I suck. Or as Ken Rockwell says if I have the pentax label up without being sponsored I am a sell out!
Mine hangs round my neck. The strap also has Pentax on it, although I am working on that, I also sometimes shoot with my lens hood reversed, because I have nowhere to put it! If people want to judge me because of it, fine I don't care and I certainly wouldn't give a toss about someone who doesn't know me at all, or my reasons for doing things, yet still judges my worth as a photographer I am what I am, I do what I do and my dog loves me for it so I can't be that bad
08-02-2018, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #5292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Mostly, my camera is in my "incognito" backpack or in my hand (with wraparound strap between the tripod bush and the body lug) because generally having to use a walking stick when out and about means it could easily slip off my shoulder. OTOH, at airshows and the like it's on the strap around my neck for quick access. No problem with using a Pentax-branded strap, although some Pentax sponsorship would be very nice
08-02-2018, 03:01 AM   #5293
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Mostly, my camera is in my "incognito" backpack or in my hand (with wraparound strap between the tripod bush and the body lug) because generally having to use a walking stick when out and about means it could easily slip off my shoulder. OTOH, at airshows and the like it's on the strap around my neck for quick access. No problem with using a Pentax-branded strap, although some Pentax sponsorship would be very nice
You might find that a Blackrapid-style shoulder strap (goes over your *other* shoulder) stops that happening, and by distributing the weight better, would help someone with restricted mobility like yourself, Jeallen!
08-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #5294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Please tell me that at least the lens hood was on the right way...
No lens hood. Was an L-Series lens however.
08-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #5295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You might find that a Blackrapid-style shoulder strap (goes over your *other* shoulder) stops that happening, and by distributing the weight better, would help someone with restricted mobility like yourself, Jeallen!
I have really taken to the black rapid strap myself. I am hiking it tend to keep it secured with a backpack waste strap clip to keep it from swinging too much and conking my kids in the head.